Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListen to Karda Estra (ethereal symph-rock)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listen to Karda Estra (ethereal symph-rock)
    Posted: July 05 2008 at 11:34
KARDA ESTRA

Their bio here in PA:

The older I get, the more easily I’m surprised with new bands, KARDA ESTRA is an amazing group of British musicians from the late 90’s to the date, their music combines the dark spirit of the Eastern Europe ethnic sound present in the use of Bazouki and Rastrophone with the skills of the most pristine Symphonic Prog you can imagine expressed in complex and well developed orchestral arrangements that create an atmosphere of mystery and obscurity enhanced by the haunting chorals.

KARDA ESTRA is the brainchild of the multi instrumentalist and composer Richard Willeman who is obviously obsessed with the 1800’s Gothic Revival and created this Neo Classical – Progressive project to exploit that dark mood that we Progheads love so much.

Their main inspiration is so wide that goes from Romanian music from the Carpathian Mountains to Steve Hackett with who he shares that obsession with obscurity.

Since their debut, KARDA ESTRA constant members are Richard Willeman (classical, electric and bass guitars, keyboards, percussion, bouzouki, rastrophone and other exotic instruments), the wonderful and sometimes scary voice of Illesha Bailey, Rachel Larkins (viola, violin) and Zoe King (flute, alto saxophone and oboe) but always has counted with other excellent musicians to complete the band like Caron Hansford who plays oboe, cor anglais and bassoon, a luxury team.

The main theme in his albums is terror and reaches it’s peak with “Eve” based The Future Eve, written in 1886 by Villiers de L'Isle Adam about a scientist who creates a fiancée for his fiend Lord Ewald (2001) and Voivode Dracula of course based in the novel by Bram Stocker.

Didn’t had the chance to listen their latest album “The Age Of Science And Enlightenment” released a few months ago but it0’s one of the first thing I’m going to do in the next few days.

Symphonic nuts will love this band, essential!!!

Iván Melgar Morey - Perú

Richard Willeman, the man behind Karda Estra, has released 3 mp3 singles free to download to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his project. They're available here with other mp3's:http://tinyurl.com/5mejt9
They can also be streamed here:http://kardaestra.50webs.com/listen.htmThere are also videos:http://kardaestra.50webs.com/soundtracks.htmReview are to be found on the Karda Estra page here in PA (link above) and here as well:   Eve (2001)
   Constellations (2003)
   Alternate History-1998-2004 (2004)
   Voivode Dracula (2004)
   The Age Of Science And Enlightenment (2006)
   The Last Of The Libertine (2007)
Listen to this beautiful, soothing and ethereal music! 

Edited by avestin - July 05 2008 at 11:38
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 16:13

Definitely, Karda Estra has been one of the discoveries i have been more pleased with, the music is simply beautiful to my ears, also we are lucky of having Richard as a member of PA.

So listen to Avestin and his always great recommendations, Karda Estra is HIGHLY recommendable!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 16:55
Here's an interview with Richard:

Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 14:50
Any suggestions of where to start? I'm definitely interested but that catalog is a lot of ground to cover...
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 14:54
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

Any suggestions of where to start? I'm definitely interested but that catalog is a lot of ground to cover...

I'll recommend one of these two:
There should be samples of these albums in KE website (or links to such websites).

Enjoy! Smile

omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 12:50
Dear Asaf,

you are still so young ! you still have so many years to find new exciting music !

To the topic - I got "The age of science and enlightment". It's realy beautiful. In a way it reminds me late Talk talk (Spirit of eden & Laughing stock). Slow, melodic, thoughtful ......... realy nice.
omri
Karda Estra View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 19:53
Many thanks Asaaf once again - and to everyone else for the kind words - they're much appreciated.

Wanted to comment on a couple of points:

Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

On my website, there are links to more tracks than just the anniversary mp3's - you'll see links to MySpace, Soundclick and LastFM - all have free mp3's to download and a some more to stream which should help. As well, I have a very cheap compilation CD 'Alternate History', which I released as an introduction to my music in 2004 and is I hope a good guide. In fact, there are some ridiculously low priced new copies available from Amazon.co.uk at the moment from 3rd party sellers!!!

Originally posted by omri omri wrote:

In a way it reminds me late Talk talk (Spirit of eden & Laughing stock).

I absolutely love Talk Talk.

All best wishes,
Richard
KARDA ESTRA
http://www.kardaestra.co.uk
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 10:00
Karda Estra has alread 11 albums, as I checked some minutes ago in PA, but unfortunately they rather rarely get mentioned.
This kind of really Symhonic Prog is very welcome!Thumbs%20Up
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 02:36
11 albums and actually i only know 3 of them, music like this needs more support and listeners, i hope some people could feel interest on Karda Estra

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Karda Estra View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 09:48
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

Karda Estra has alread 11 albums, as I checked some minutes ago in PA, but unfortunately they rather rarely get mentioned.
This kind of really Symhonic Prog is very welcome!Thumbs%20Up

Very nice of you to say - thanks.

I'm more than happy to let the three free anniversary mp3's be available here at PA - someone on a previous thread said they would talk to the admin here - if anyone still wants to do so, they're welcome to get in touch.

Richard
KARDA ESTRA
http://www.kardaestra.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply