Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hamtai - Hommage à la musique de Christian Vander
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHamtai - Hommage à la musique de Christian Vander

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose a track that you think does a great job with the material
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamtai - Hommage à la musique de Christian Vander
    Posted: July 05 2008 at 16:36
... Le Gré des Vents - Hymne Kobaïen

I didn't have space on the poll for the last track above.  I've had this 2 cd tribute for quite a while, but hadn't listened to it a great deal (preferring instead to listen to Magma playing Magma).  It does have some great adaptations.  Koenjihyakkei's opening number is a really terrific medley -- just wish it was longer.  While putting their own spin on the material, they really do justice to Magma.

For short, poor quality samples, you can listen here: CLICK  Seems the myspace page track player is not working properly due to myspacepimp problems -- redirects. http://www.myspace.com/hamtai
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 18:25
Hmm, I didn't think this would be a very popular poll.  LOL
dzx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 21:28
seconded why bother?
was that just an Am augmented minor 9th i heard? nice!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 23:04
Originally posted by dzx dzx wrote:

seconded why bother?

What is this; the French inquisition? ;) Bring out the comfy chaise.

Why bother with any of these polls?  No, I won't leave at that, it would be rude to respond to a question with another question.

But seriously, dzx.  Interesting question, at least to me.  I quite often don't like to reveal my nefarious schemes so early in the game, but....

Whilst I knew that the poll itself would not garner many votes/ be popular (not that poll results are generally of interest to me anyway), I had thought that there may be a few Magma/ Vander appreciators, as well as appreciators of the bands/ artists that paid tribute to Vander in this CD that might find this of some interest.  I'm not, generally-speaking, a fan of tribute albums, but I had hoped to veer this topic into discussion about those that covered Vander/ Magma -- particularly with a view to discussing the possible PA merits of those who worked on the album but are not in the archives, as well as details about the project and why these ones (some are obvious) were involved in Hamtai.

I expect some members of PA have heard Hamtai.  Not only do I find some of the renditions worth hearing as a Magma-admirer, but I find it interesting to compare the music here to those bands/ artists other work (of course Magma was very influential with a number of these, trof similar musical paths, and some worked with Magma, so there was already an intersection of styles).

A belated welcome to the board, dzx, by the way.  I hope you don't mind my asking (and it is getting a bit too far far from the poll and my modus operandi too soon), but what do you think of Magma/ Vander and Zeuhl generally.  I haven't yet read many of your posts, so I don't know much about your tastes.

-Greg

P.S. I generally do prefer to do polls where I have decent music samples, because a common reason for me doing topics is to expose others to music (as well s just sharing my passions -- though tribute CDs don't quite fit amongst my passions).  Unfortunately, the myspace link streaming music does not work as it used to, and I didn't realise that until after I'd prepared the poll.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 23:09
lol I missed this poll the first time

I should really buy this thing since half of the line-up consists of bands/projects I appreciate and the other half is a collection of bands I don't know ;P

eX-Girl doing Riah Sahiltaak must sound absolutely hilarious, do you know them outside of this compilation? o:) so deliberately kawaii
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2008 at 23:55
eX-Girl's "Riah Sahiltaahk" isn't quite as cute or amusing as one might expect.  It's good though, and mostly a capella.  I knew quite a few songs of theirs before -- fun, kawaii stuff. 
For those that don't know eX-Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW7dmLbRVkk&feature=related

dzx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 06:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by dzx dzx wrote:

seconded why bother?

What is this; the French inquisition? ;) Bring out the comfy chaise.

Why bother with any of these polls?  No, I won't leave at that, it would be rude to respond to a question with another question.

But seriously, dzx.  Interesting question, at least to me.  I quite often don't like to reveal my nefarious schemes so early in the game, but....

Whilst I knew that the poll itself would not garner many votes/ be popular (not that poll results are generally of interest to me anyway), I had thought that there may be a few Magma/ Vander appreciators, as well as appreciators of the bands/ artists that paid tribute to Vander in this CD that might find this of some interest.  I'm not, generally-speaking, a fan of tribute albums, but I had hoped to veer this topic into discussion about those that covered Vander/ Magma -- particularly with a view to discussing the possible PA merits of those who worked on the album but are not in the archives, as well as details about the project and why these ones (some are obvious) were involved in Hamtai.

I expect some members of PA have heard Hamtai.  Not only do I find some of the renditions worth hearing as a Magma-admirer, but I find it interesting to compare the music here to those bands/ artists other work (of course Magma was very influential with a number of these, trof similar musical paths, and some worked with Magma, so there was already an intersection of styles).

A belated welcome to the board, dzx, by the way.  I hope you don't mind my asking (and it is getting a bit too far far from the poll and my modus operandi too soon), but what do you think of Magma/ Vander and Zeuhl generally.  I haven't yet read many of your posts, so I don't know much about your tastes.

-Greg

P.S. I generally do prefer to do polls where I have decent music samples, because a common reason for me doing topics is to expose others to music (as well s just sharing my passions -- though tribute CDs don't quite fit amongst my passions).  Unfortunately, the myspace link streaming music does not work as it used to, and I didn't realise that until after I'd prepared the poll.

The French inquisition from an Irishman. Been installed in South of France 4 6 years. sorry for the sledgehammer entry though. was 4 in the morning. I need really to get to know more Zeuhl. Ive managed to catch Magma live once in a village near me and like them but really need to be in the mood. As French prog goes im more theatrically inclined   voir Ange who ive caught in concert 4 times in the last 3 years
was that just an Am augmented minor 9th i heard? nice!
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 10:17
Hmmm... very interesting poll, Logan! Clap

While I don't have this tribute CD so I can't vote, I am now very much intrigued... I definitely will have to add this to my increasingly long list of stuff to buy. LOL
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 13:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Hmm, I didn't think this would be a very popular poll.  LOL

I'd vote of course - uh, if I'd heard the album.  Would you say it was worth getting?  (Not sure if it's been reviewed on here or not... I had a quick look but am too lazy to dig deeper at the present moment!! LOL)
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 14:38
I chose an hour long/twelve track selection for our second Zeuhl/Magma night at this club a friend and I got once a week:

As you can see I was very impressed by the  Magma veterans:

1 Jannick Top - Zombies (Ghost Dance) (4:51)
 2 Patrick Gauthier - Theusz Hamtaahk (6:31)
 3 Didier Lockwood - Mëkanik Destruktïw Kommandöh (2:42)
 4 Kobaïa ëmgalaï Kolektïw - Köhntarkösz (6:22)
 5 Klaus Blasquiz - De Futura (4:17)
 6 Post Image - Hhaï (6:36)
 7 eX GIRL - Rïah Sahïltaahk (2:52)
 8 Benoit Widemann - Blum Tendiwa (4:40)
 9 Mats/Morgan Band - Tïlïm M'Dohm (4:05)
10 Francois Thollot/Sebastien Gramond - Om Zanka (5:10)
11 Sidji Moon - Klaus Kombalad (5:23)
12 Koenjihyakkei - Magma Medley (3:46)

The other half of this  album is really not that good.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 16:54
I still haven't got this, so I can't vote. It's on my ever expanding 'to get soon' list.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 17:27
Me either, I don't know this tribute album...bad me! Sorry!
Just keep doing these kind of polls , Greg ...You are the torch bearer Thumbs%20Upof great music, especially Zheul...keep bringing them on!Clap
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2008 at 22:59
Here goes Logan with his famous bands and albums. Enough is enough, I can´t take any more of your Dream Theater, Genesis, Porcupine Tree polls!

LOL
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 14:53
dzx: No problem with the " entry."

Lucky you living in the south of France.  I never quite got into Ange, despite that it's one of the biggest names of French Prog and I've long had a thing for French progressive music.  Arachnoid is one on the French theatrical side that I really like very much.

MovingPictures: Thanks; it's certainly a good album for uber-Magma heads to check out.  I wouldn't recommend it to most, that's for sure.  If you can get it inexpensively, then it would be well worth it.

Song of Cooper: I'm not even sure if it's listed in the archives.  I'd say, to be safe, that it's an absolutely essential album for Vander tribute completists. :p It is well done.

Rocktopus: I agree that the Magma veterans did a great job, as I was expecting, but it rather lacked surprise, to an extent.  I found some of the other tracks very interesting because of the different spins on the music (not that the veterans didn't take interesting approaches).  I may like Gauthier's "Theusz Hamtaahk" the most of the tracks, but I've recently fall in love gain with Theusz Hamtaahk in various versions.

Syzgy: Would be very interested to hear your impressions when and if you do get it.

Febus: Thanks.  I plan to use that torch to flame people who wouldn't know good music if it bit them on the behind. ;)

El Bothy: The more popular polls do tend to regurgiate the same names again and again -- this being a Magma tribute, it's bound to get responses, but if one wants  apopular poll just do another variation on the same old bands and albums -- throw some real obscurities into that "best album, artist, or band" poll and it won't matter, most people will still vote for the band names they know (some will vote for an album even if they don't know it, as well as not knowing the other options ina  best poll, as they're just voting for the band they love.  Be fun to do a DT tribute vs. a Pink Floyd tribute vs.a Rush tribute vs. a Magma tribute

This looks interesting...

String Quartet Tribute to Dream Theater
not rated

EDIT: fixed tag

Edited by Logan - July 07 2008 at 15:29
Grimfurg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 08:26
The Koenji covers are insane, Steve Shehan's cover is great, as well as Lockwood's covers. I'm gonna go ahead and vote for Koenji.

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 15:02
I voted the Koenj medley, which is pretty much what I bought it for, I only wish it was longer but I should have known it was going to be a rapid fire deal like previous Ruins Medleys (Prog, Classical, Sabbath, etc),

the Klaus Blasquiz vocal rendition of De Futura is insane! I wish he'd do a whole album like that,

a of of these other tracks sort of run together, maybe a 2CD was a bit much? I just wish there was more of a variety of bands/artists present on this Tribute representing different genres, I'm sure a band like The Flying Luttenbachers would have participed - they already did De Futura on one of their albums; maybe a Shoegaze band, some Hiphop or even a Doom band covering Magma would have been interesting,

Edited by mithrandir - July 27 2008 at 15:12
Grimfurg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 11:09
Actually Tïlïm M'Dohm is mad.

Post Reply Post Reply