Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan prog be romantic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 23:35

RaphaelT- I think you are confusing your periods and composers. Those you mention are from the Classical Period (1750 to 1850). The Romantic period was 1850 to 1900.

edit: got the dates wrong Classical 1750 to 1820, Romantic 1820 to 1910

Edited by cobb2 - July 21 2008 at 23:42
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 02:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh yeah.. sharing musical taste is very important....  in the guerillla war that was the last years .. like the whole 10 years  of my marriage.. . the Battle of CD City was a bloody conflict that claimed many 'lives'..  Celine Dion albums accidentally run over... Magma albums somehow used as hot plates for her f**king Green Bean casserole... however like many wars.. no one actually won... everyone loses.   If you love music.. make sure your so..  does as well.. especially with the sh*t we tend  to like. 

Those are some serious relationship issues!  You might need a safe with a combination she doesn't know for those Magma records.   My wife likes some prog, dislikes some.  While playing Tarkus once she said, :" I'm sure this stuff was really groovy in the 60's..." I told her she had the wrong decade.   I tolerate all her CDs being mixing in with mine except The B52s, you have to draw the line somwhere!Wink
SilverAnubis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 07:26
Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

[QUOTE=SilverAnubis] [QUOTE=Starette] 
Actually it's funny you say that.
My last boyfriend used to say that Start of Something Beautiful reminded him of me and I referred him to the fact that it's not a particularly romantic song at all. It's a realistic song about a relationship that eventually ends.
Note: that boyfriend eventually dumped me.
But yes- it is beautiful.

Realistic history based in a true story, then, true romantic feeling... sad, but beautiful.

The metal prog can be romantic too, the songs of Riverside have romantic feeling, but with a breaking heart...

Edited by SilverAnubis - July 22 2008 at 07:28
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 09:50
Originally posted by cobb2 cobb2 wrote:

RaphaelT- I think you are confusing your periods and composers. Those you mention are from the Classical Period (1750 to 1850). The Romantic period was 1850 to 1900.

My mistakeSmile
yet you still have time!
dzx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 14:07
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

My mistakeSmile

Not yours. your only real one was Beethoven and possibly Schubert whos a bridge between Classical and Romantic (although some might argue Beethoven is though he is earlier) Wagner, Liszt and Chopin on the other hand are most definately composers from the Romantic era
was that just an Am augmented minor 9th i heard? nice!
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 09:26
Yes!!!!!!!I'm really common here but many Genesis songs are made for this:Fountain of Salmacis,Carpet Crawlers or The lamia.KC really made it with Exiles and Sigur Ros is an ode to love.Moreover prog always
gets me in a story of a knight  fighting for the love of a princess.I wouldn't say that pop music can't inspire
such things but prog seems to me the best suited genre for love with power,passion and goodness.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 11:42

Speaking of capital-R Romanticism, if you look at it as a whole - an artistic movement that in addition to music spanned literature, the visual arts and more - and what defined all of it, you'll find common ground with lots of prog: Its confidence in its status as important life-changing art, a general taste for the fantastic, aspiring to capture abstract philosophical subject matter in something tangibly aesthetical and overall being built upon a view of art as a pathway to great universal truths. Smile

Of course, as the more polemically minded acts like those from the Rock In Opposition scene demonstrate, prog can also have affinities with Modernism... which was, at least to begin with, a reaction against Romanticism. The entire idea of moving culture forwards and having modes of expressions evolve, is also very capital-M Modern what with Modern Art being all about moving away from classical academic aesthetics. In turn, there is also prog that either balances elements of both or doesn't think in such "-ism" boxes. Wink It helps here to rehmember that both Romanticism and Modernism were/are rather broad movements each with a great ideological variety within itself, allowing for the border to be a little hazy at times - oddly enough. (taking a perspective to the visual arts, you have Surrealism which could be called a type of modernized Romanticism)
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 12:29
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Speaking of capital-R Romanticism, if you look at it as a whole - an artistic movement that in addition to music spanned literature, the visual arts and more - and what defined all of it, you'll find common ground with lots of prog: Its confidence in its status as important life-changing art, a general taste for the fantastic, aspiring to capture abstract philosophical subject matter in something tangibly aesthetical and overall being built upon a view of art as a pathway to great universal truths. Smile

Of course, as the more polemically minded acts like those from the Rock In Opposition scene demonstrate, prog can also have affinities with Modernism... which was, at least to begin with, a reaction against Romanticism. The entire idea of moving culture forwards and having modes of expressions evolve, is also very capital-M Modern what with Modern Art being all about moving away from classical academic aesthetics. In turn, there is also prog that either balances elements of both or doesn't think in such "-ism" boxes. Wink It helps here to rehmember that both Romanticism and Modernism were/are rather broad movements each with a great ideological variety within itself, allowing for the border to be a little hazy at times - oddly enough. (taking a perspective to the visual arts, you have Surrealism which could be called a type of modernized Romanticism)

True, the so called "symphonic prog" of 70s has lots in common with Romanticism - the idea of joining visual arts, theatre and music, the image of artist as a preacher that will lead us towards higher dimensions (I can imagine Ian Anderson acting that role, although Jon Anderson did comply willingly)...

Speaking of capital R-omanticism I always laugh in spirit when a girl mentions something about romantic behaviour or movie, meaning all this Valentine Day stuff, giving chocolates and flowers - it is Sentimentalism, this was before real Romantic movement. I wonder if "romantic" girl would welcome something really romantic - haunting nightmares, dark love straight from the pages of E.A. Poe's stories?

In that meaning the most romantic prog tune is A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers by Van Der Graaf Generator..
yet you still have time!
halfmanhalfcrab View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 07:35
forever autumn - Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds!!!
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 05:55
Rainbow Eyes by Man is a romantic track.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 06:36
Sigur Ros is beautiful - borderline romantic.
I turned it on just to show my girlfriend what they sounded like and it stayed on for a while as we had a little fun. It was kinda cool to have that going in the background. i liked it. 
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 11:14
Listen to Maneige album Ni vent... ni nouvelle, and you will find romantic prog perfeclty crafted

MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 11:17
Originally posted by YesFan72 YesFan72 wrote:

Prog isn't really written to be romantic. There still are moments (such as in "Soon" by Yes). I find Harmonium's works to be more romantic, but that's just me, I guess.

I agree entirely with this sentiment. Progressive rock wasn't meant to be a certain mood (particularly romantic of any of them), but it is meant for intellectual and emotional analysis. When I think of "romantic", I hardly think of any sort of analysis.
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2008 at 18:45
It wasn't always meant to be, but that doesn't mean it can't be. Examples:

Roxy Music - Beauty Queen
Fish - A Gentleman's Excuse Me
Marillion - Neverland

I see no reason why any of those couldn't be considered romantic in some way. In fact, a romantic song that actually required more thought to write would be considered MORE romantic than a guy strumming a G-chord on an acoustic guitar and singing "I love you so much and I want to massage you in the private places." (That line's an inside joke, but I think the rest is a valid point. But of course I do, since I made it.) ;)
easytargets View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 14:05
 Please, take a listen to VdGG´s OUT OF MY BOOKHeart
The water rushes over all
cities crash in the mighty wave;
the final man is very small,
plunging in for his final bathe
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 16:21
Anything by Mostly Autumn sets a romantic mood.
Opeth's ballad songs, especially Face Of Melinda, To Bid You Farewell and Benighted, are brilliantly romantic.
Gentle Giant - Think Of Me With Kindness fits into all criteria of romantic music
Anathema - One Last Goodbye: Not exactly feel-good, but fantastic for women
Spock's Beard - She Is Everything: A pretty dire album, but this song is so romantic it's almost sickening

Oh, and anything by Meshuggah.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 16:36
"Did her eyes at the turn of the century..."
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 17:50

I can't belive nobody's mentioned Zappa yet, with romantic classics like "I have Been in You" and "Broken Hearts are for a****les".

zappadaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 07:04
Explore italian scene,it is full of romantic music.Banco for example or IL Bacio deLa Medusa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345