Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Laurie Anderson belong in the archives?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Does Laurie Anderson belong in the archives?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [52.17%]
11 [47.83%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 06:45
There's a few of the sub-generes here I think her music touches on.  I think prog-related can become a dumping ground for artists that don't clearly fit into any particular one.  I think avant-prog is her closest fit.  I've probably said this before, but I think the work that best makes the case for her inclusion is the fairly recent Life On A String.  Highly recommend it to those who've only had a taste of her music and are still curious.

Don't make me have to make that if B is here and M was recently added, then why shouldn't A be added argument. Wink

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 22 2008 at 06:47
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 09:39
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

To make it here an act needs to be either progressive or Prog, or, best of all, both. Laurie Anderson is, I think, the former but not the latter

Prog-Related bands are Non-Prog bands. Wink

For one thing, the point Raffaella made is correct. There's no reason to say "Laurie Anderson's addition would be controversial". If Progressor and other sites do acknowledge her music to be part of the Prog/progressive/whatever grip, we can definitely mention what counts most from her stuff (the 1982-1984 "repertoire, mostly), without thinking we've got a hole to fill.

As me for, my ideas about the addition still stands. I'd add Laurie Anderson in Prog-Related, even if it's a bit hard to think of her expermiental, quirky, rhythmic, artistic music, to which, not to mention, we almost always have to add "drama", "humour", "narrations" and others. She's quite a complete kind of an artist: singer, composer, "one-woman show" comedian, etc. Sure, we're talking "art-rock going more towards art-pop", but we also got some of that by now, if we think of David Bowie, Adrian Belew (whose direct connection with Anderson could make up an argument, if we weren't so focused on the music, right? Wink) or even a bit of Zappa. In fact, IMO, if you want 80s Prog, get Bacamarte, if you want 80s ex-Prog-now-Horrible-Pop, you get Yes, if you want 80s progressive, you can try Laurie Anderson (among others...)

If I would have enough time, I would propose the addition to the PR-Team already (with all the responsability to add her, if approved).

Edited by Ricochet - October 22 2008 at 09:40
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 10:06
At first glance I thought this was about Lonnie Anderson being in the archives.  LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 13:47
I officially proposed Laurie Anderson in late July to the PR team, but they've had their hands-full with other suggestions.  I am willing to care of the addition if she is accepted (provided it's not in the too distant future), and I do think that the musical arguments for her inclusion in both threads have been stronger than the arguments against her inclusion in Prog-Related.  Plus, as was noted by Raffaella, she is listed in key Prog sites, so it more than meets those criteria.

Edited by Logan - October 22 2008 at 13:49
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 13:49
count me in...  that would be  a good addition for the site Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 14:22
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

To make it here an act needs to be either progressive or Prog, or, best of all, both. Laurie Anderson is, I think, the former but not the latter

Sorry, sir, I'm not sure what point you're saying I'm making. I don't think Laurie Anderson is Prog-Related; I think she is progressive and as such should be in a sub-genre on this site - possibly RIO-Avant. But she's not Prog in the classic sense.

if you want 80s ex-Prog-now-Horrible-Pop, you get Yes

Side issue: why does everyone say that? I'm not going to argue with the 'horrible' label - it's your taste. But Pop? Is that what your ears hear when you listen to 90125? Because it sounds like Rock to me, and there is a difference.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 14:26
Off topic - I am amazed by some of the opinions of 90125 out there.   That is some serious prog there.. especially side one...  in fact... that album would be an instant addition for any group into crossover prog.. forget the name of the group...  it is the music...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 15:11

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Sorry, sir, I'm not sure what point you're saying I'm making. I don't think Laurie Anderson is Prog-Related; I think she is progressive and as such should be in a sub-genre on this site - possibly RIO-Avant. But she's not Prog in the classic sense.

ah, okay! but, terminology-related, if you want the artist to be in a sub-genre, that means she needs to be "Prog". According to your initial post, you said "she's not the latter (Prog)". Now that you've nuanced "she's not Prog in the classic sense", it's much clearer.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 22:23
^Thanks. You're right, I didn't communicate clearly.
ziggystardust360 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 13:42
This woman still isn't in the archives how shocking Shocked
''I always had the repulsive need to be something other than human''-David Bowie
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 15:59

The problem is that lñater i seen a repeated argument:

"What's the problem is Prog related is not Prog?"

Please this is absurd, if that was truth, we should add each and every non Prog band, the truth is that PR is not 100% Prog, but at least has elements and influence plus has to be relevant for Prog, in the case of Laurie Anderson I see nothing.....Why don't we add Jade Anderson?...Not Prog and daughter of Jon Anderson. Ouch

Or Toyah Willcox, not remotely Prog but wife of Robert Fripp.

At least they are related for family and marriage.

Iván

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 17:38
I know we discussed her worthiness, Ivan, in the following L.A. thread, CLICK HERE, but I do see a relation to Prog (as this site sees Prog) in Laurie Anderson.  I think she has significant similarities to artists in Krautrock and Electronic Prog (and art rock qualities), which is why I requested that the admin team consider her inclusion during the summer.  Perhaps I should have requested that Crossover take a look at her first, and then if declined there, see if they thought it fit to send for PR's evaluation.  Furthermore, many other sites, as it turns out, do consider her to have a Prog relation.

While I was very enthusiastic about her potential addition before, I expect that though it saddens me, there probably would have been developments by now (I'm not sure what happened with the evaluation)  I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed. I lay this one to rest even if no formal decision has been reached.  Others have been given greater priority, and I can understand that.  Perhaps one day it will be included, but PR evaluations commonly take a long time as they try to be very careful about additions, and I even I don't think this addition should be priority for the site (even though I feel that she deserves a place here).  It would have helped to send along sufficient samples of her music to help them out, and properly research it (not necessarily to get her in, but to help them to reach a  decision for or against).  I think it likely that they haven't felt they quite enough to go on, both in arguments and in access to music, to make a firm decision yet.  And they have a great many bands/ artists to consider (and PR additions commonly require very deep consideration).

EDIT: She would be a fringe artist here if included, and for me I suppose that's part of what made her a more exciting addition (and I do love Big Science, not that that makes her worthy, but did make me more enthusiastic).  I thought she would fit the umbrella parameters (as the prog universe has expanded beyond "rock"), but I don't quite know how Related operates.  I think she shares similarties to artists in avant prog, as well.

Edited by Logan - November 30 2008 at 18:02
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 18:26
If I'm honest, I thought Metallica was pushing it. All good music is progressive in some way, because that's what makes good music. But that doesn't make it prog. Or prog related for that matter.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12