Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Van der Graaf Geneater fans--let's shake hands...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVan der Graaf Geneater fans--let's shake hands...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van der Graaf Geneater fans--let's shake hands...
    Posted: July 28 2008 at 00:57
Two words: The Muthaf**kin' Sleep Walkers (is maybe better than all this Frank Zappa stuff I've been recycling).

Okay, maybe slightly more than two words...and not necessarily true. But, seriously, I'm really re-thinking this whole Van Der Hammill thing. I've been struggling for the past couple of weeks to find...SOMETHING to fill the void (left by God knows), so I've latched onto a lot of things. Zappa is one of 'em, in an attempt find something "jazzy," and some Eno in order to find something "ambient" (as well as some attempted Krautrauk, but that was Kraftwerk, so you'll have to excuse me if I didn't fall in luv). At the moment, I've attempted to fuse the two, and I fell back on my Crimso Happy to Have EP.

But, Van Der Graaf (Generator), yeah...what the crap is this? Why didn't anyone tell me this band was, you know, decent? Or, wait, GOOD?

I figured that, what the hey, since I've got Vital (which is dull and unlistenable) and my favorite song off it happens to be this "Plague/Sleepwalkers" merger (which still sucks), might as well get that song.

So, a download away, I'm BLOWN away by how tight the band sounds, how they're backing their atmosphere up with clever riffs and spooky solos, and how Mr. Hammill is still screaming, but his lyrics MAKE SENSE!!! No goofy cover ups, no mushroom imagery...I mean, I always knew he was a good lyricsmith, but on "The Sleepwalkers," he's good and makes sense within and throughout without having to sound like a goofy weirdo; he can sound scary and serious.

Oh, and, when they play that caberet theme part way through? Who knew the guys had a sense of humor!
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
 Post Reply Post Reply