Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKultivator vs. National Health

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kultivator vs. National Health
    Posted: September 04 2008 at 18:38
I was listening to this obscure Swedish Zeuhl band streaming on PA, when I got the very strange feeling these guys are actually copying National Health. Confused

The keyboardist sounds like Dave Stewart, the guitarist gets really close to Phil Miller and the drumming is not far from Pip Pyle's. And, what's more, there is a bass riff that sounds just like an excerpt from Elephants. If Dave Stewart knew the band, and had it made a huge success, could he sue them?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 19:39
Wow, what timing!  This album just arrived for me today.  When I listen to it, I'll render an opinion.

I wouldn't be too hard on stealing riffs - listen to Phil Miller's playing in "the Collapso" and then listen to "Theme One" off VdGG's Pawn Hearts (the remaster with bonus tracks).  Wink
Oneiromancer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 21:04

yeah... it's tough to live with only 12 notes.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 21:12
To answer your question, though, a similar sounding riff and sort of sounding like National Health wouldn't rise to the level of a copyright violation and a civil suit, though I don't know precisely how the law works in either England or Sweden.  The band would have to rip off pretty much an entire song - see George Harrison and "My Sweet Lord".  of course, neither band really gained any commercial success of note.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 12:05
And Patrick, please also note that Van der Graaf Generator didn't write Theme One either. Wink

I wouldn't call them a clone band at all though.  There's a lot of differences, such as the female vocals (well I know NH had some but they sound different), some slight Zeuhl influences and some other subtle changes too.  I also happen to hear In Cahoots (another Phil Miller project), Soft Heap (a Pyle band) and Hatfield and the North (another Miller/Pyle band) in there.

However, they're bloody marvellous!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 13:36
Originally posted by James James wrote:

And Patrick, please also note that Van der Graaf Generator didn't write Theme One either. Wink

I think I knew they didn't, but I didn't know who did and was too lazy to look it up.  Wink

I wouldn't call them a clone band at all though.  There's a lot of differences, such as the female vocals (well I know NH had some but they sound different), some slight Zeuhl influences and some other subtle changes too.  I also happen to hear In Cahoots (another Phil Miller project), Soft Heap (a Pyle band) and Hatfield and the North (another Miller/Pyle band) in there.

However, they're bloody marvellous!

They are indeed!  Now that I've listened, there's definitely an allusion to a NH sound but they still sound original enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply