Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKiNo - (Crossover?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: KiNo - (Crossover?)
    Posted: September 13 2008 at 13:53
Hi Guys:

We have been contacted by the artist KiNo (not the Neo prog supergroup of the same name) and asked to consider them for PA.  Here is some info from them:

KiNo, the poet of sound and image has completed his first album 'Map of the Universe'.
An innovative piece of work written, performed and arranged by KiNo and co-produced by Jeff Blenkinsopp.

Map of the Universe is a concept album with a premise to take you on a journey and open the listener's mind by offering eleven genre defying tracks, all varied in sound, pace, style and subject matter, but dynamically tied together.

New and yet familiar, his music possesses a timeless quality, redolent with emotional depth. Drawing from a vast array of influences; psychedelic rock to punk, electronic to classical, Kino's unique signature sound bears the best elements combined to compliment today's music in the 21st century. 

Here is a link to their website:

And to their MySpace page:

And something kind of interesting that they call KiNo TV which features live performances from strange places at strange times.

Thank you for your time and thoughts on this new artist.

Scott

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2008 at 14:34
and Xover is on this one..

after the TD marathon that is hahhaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2008 at 14:58

Micky, just make sure that those dreams of tangerines don't replace or interfere with those dreams of Raff. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2008 at 15:11
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Micky, just make sure that those dreams of tangerines don't replace or interfere with those dreams of Raff. 

hahahha.. 

atem!    No Sunrise in the Third System, Journey Through a Burning Brain nor Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares nor the Nebulous Dawn  will interfere with those pleasant dreams brother Big%20smile
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2008 at 21:36
hmmm... interesting....
What?
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 03:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahha.. 

atem!    No Sunrise in the Third System, Journey Through a Burning Brain nor Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares nor the Nebulous Dawn  will interfere with those pleasant dreams brother Big%20smile

You've never told me about your TD marathon...Shocked
PM me when impressions are cold and settled...Wink

...uhm, trying to find an on-topic idea...Embarrassed
ah! not to be confused with Kino, who are already in the Archives. Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 07:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

hmmm... interesting....
There is no denying it is Art Rock of some variety or other - whether it is Progressive Art Rock is open to debate.

There are either so many points of reference that they are lost in the miasma, or its so innovative that there are none. If I were to invent a new tag for it I'd call it Neo-Psyche or Alt-Art-Psyche, or maybe just Psyche-Pop or plain old Indie-Pop ... does that make it Crossover by default? or is the psychedelic issue just a figment, a trick of the mind and a marketing ploy? ::shrug:: Perhaps, perhaps not, then maybe this is only Prog if we say it is... are we feeling megolmaniacal today? I don't think I am.

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 07:29
coda: there is a link through Jeff Blenkinsopp to Secret Machines ... perhaps Psyche/Space team could take a listen and compare the two.
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 07:48
and getting to a listening ...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 07:55
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

hahahha.. 

You've never told me about your TD marathon...Shocked
PM me when impressions are cold and settled...Wink

...uhm, trying to find an on-topic idea...Embarrassed
ah! not to be confused with Kino, who are already in the Archives. Wink

I've quietly been exploring that realm of music a bit more... I will definitely PM you Vic.  The short version is... for the longest time I only had Phaedra, Ricochet, and Zeit... while in Rome... I found the the first 2 and Atem on discount so I figured what the hell... and snapped them up. After I get back ..and finish reviewing the SD albums... going to tackle reviewing these...  won't be easy for me since unlike what I normally review... I'm a bit of a fish outta water.. not really speaking from what I consider a solid ground of knowledge about the music... and I remember from my review of In Den Garten Pharaos that I felt I was completely winging it.. .which considering I am not a 'confident' reviewer in the first place..  sort of was disconcerting hahah. Anyway... I'll PM you my specific thoughts on those albums.

Edited by micky - September 14 2008 at 07:57
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 11:59
listened to myspace earlier... and it seems a copy of their  album has been sent to me for closer listen. checking that out. Dean.. I have permission to share it if you weren't given a copy as well. 
bianca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 16:18

KiNo -Map of the Universe.
Released independently by KiNo on his label Man Eating Seas.
Available only digitally at iTunes - Amazon - Emusic.
Physical limited editions only available at the KiNo store

Hello there,
This is Bianca. I represent KiNo with personal assistance and in a managerial degree. It's nice to be among people who listen to intelligent music.

The first emphasis i would like to make is that KiNo is not 'them', he is a solo artist.
He wrote, performed and co-produced the record.
Jeff Blenkinsopp invents his own custom analogue gear and the pair worked on the album in New York.
He also have produced The Secret Machines debut album.

Here is some brief information which i think you'd appreciate from the source:

Map of the Universe is a concept album that works in several layers of meanings and functions.

At the KiNo website you can PREVIEW EVERY SONG and their thematic connection/explanation.
http://www.kinomapoftheuniverse.com

KiNo calls his music simply Psychedelic British Rock, nevertheless goes on to define psychedelia as something synonymous with real music that stimulates the human psyche with imploding images both nonverbal & verbal.
He renounces anything to do with indie rock. :)

His songs are well structured and complex, but manages to take the listener to unknown places without rustling their feathers or whim about the whole thing.

All in all, KiNo is a poet of sound and image who writes the same message in music, films and books, for their unique individual potential and shortcomings and form a meta-language to represent, criticise and bypass the reality.

This is the headquarters of his little universe
Man Eating Seas
http://www.maneatingseas.com

Cheers!

Edited by bianca - September 14 2008 at 16:39
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 16:41
hey Bianca... KiNo is being eval'd by our genre teams.  we have a genre system for trying to place the band in categories to make it easier for those into discovering new stuff.  I'll post here when ..and where they are accepted is figured out.  Good album btw. Clap
bianca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 16:44

listened to myspace earlier... and it seems a copy of their  album has been sent to me for closer listen. checking that out. Dean.. I have permission to share it if you weren't given a copy as well. 

Please, do not share the album, no one is authorised for that kind of exchange, except I send you a promotional package. Thanks.
bianca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 16:45

hey Bianca... KiNo is being eval'd by our genre teams.  we have a genre system for trying to place the band in categories to make it easier for those into discovering new stuff.  I'll post here when ..and where they are accepted is figured out.  Good album btw. Clap

Thanks very much Micky!
Is that how you operate?
I am glad to hear that.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 17:03
Originally posted by bianca bianca wrote:

Please, do not share the album, no one is authorised for that kind of exchange, except I send you a promotional package. Thanks.

no.. that is only going to authorized people here who 'have' to hear it for evaluation purposes.  We do respect the artists here. Clap  No funny business here LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 17:05
Originally posted by bianca bianca wrote:

Thanks very much Micky!
Is that how you operate?
I am glad to hear that.

makes for intersting times.. trying to stick round bands into square holes... but it does keep things interesting around here. LOL You haven't lived until you have seen grown men pull each others hair out and throw tantrums over placement of a group hahhahhaa.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 09:02
KiNo has been approved for addition by the mighty Crossover team.  I'll be working on the addition this weekend. Thanks Scott.. and thanks Bianca.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 10:43
and adding KiNo to Xover

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 10:56
damnit..  KiNo's website gives me a headache...

Scott.. Bianca... if either of you have a bio.. or know where a bio may be found.. let me know.  Putting this on hold till I find some information I can use for a bio.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>