Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRicardo Confessori, SHAMAN's drummer.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ricardo Confessori, SHAMAN's drummer.
    Posted: September 22 2008 at 20:04
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 11"><>

Interview

with Ricardo Confessori, SHAMAN's drummer and leader of the band.

TÔ SEM BANDA BRUNO DUARTE - sexta-feira, 12 de setembro de 2008 16:21

http://www.tosembanda.com/colunas2008/one_news.asp?IDNews=101

TÔ SEM BANDA > Hello, Ricardo. How Are you ?

Could you tell us a little about your projects ?

RICARDO CONFESSORI > Shaman have been playing a lot, We are going now to a tour in Latin-America, working on our new live DVD that haves already a teaser on Youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX7cMMbvsbI. We’re also working on a tour that in some European festivals. I’m still with my work as a musical producer on my studio, The Plug In[www.baterasbeat.com.br/estudio.php], Giving lessons on EM&T in São Paulo and Campinas and in Bateras Beat. I’m touring with my workshops around Brazil. I’m always disseminating Shaman and my works parallel.

TSB > Could you tell us about your musical influences?

RICARDO > They are som many That could fill this page when trying to list them. Talking about the main ones rock progressivo e fusion.

TSB > The name Shaman in the begin was with one A. After that, itgot 2 A’s, Shaaman and now it’s Shaman again. Why these changes ?

RICARDO > The inclusion of the doulbe A was a bizarre thing that, that actually must be said, ad nothing to do with trademark dispute. Was a study about numerology, and believed to be that inclouding an A on our name, we would have more strength and success. After what has happened, I tought that was a silly thing, and decided to putt it out

TSB > The song Fairy Tale, can be considered the first of a heavy metal group, to be part of the soundtrack of a Rede Globo’s novel, 'O Beijo do Vampiro'. How did the partnership ?

RICARDO > In 2002, o Shaman was hired to Universal Music, and Max Pierre, president on the season and fan of the band, called Jaime Monjardim from Globo. He was aware of this epic novel, about medieval vampires. As Shaman is a sound that spirit and Fairy Tale was very medieval musically, the deal worked.

TSB > What’s the motive of the line up changes ? Do you still have contact with the former members, André, Hugo and Luis?

RICARDO > There wasn’t a single reason, was a series of reasons. At the Begin of the end, they wanted me to leave immediately, then settled out by themselves and make their own project. I humbly took what remains of a band and with good will could make something good of all of this. That’s the Best that can be made on these situations.

TSB > Shaman counted with the participation of the violinist Marcus Vianna, of the progressive rock band, Sagrado Coração da Terra and from novels soundtrack, like ‘O Clone’ e ‘Pantanal’. How did this contact happened ?

RICARDO > Marcus was out fan, even before we met. He liked Angra, and followed the career of the former Angra members, who went to Shaman.

TSB > Ricardo, there is in youtube, a video that would be related to ad DVD of the Reason album. Does this DVD exists? He Will be out someday ?

RICARDO > This video is a compilation of the making offs, of back stages and of tours that we’ve made on the season. I think that our video maker on the season, would have started an edition to show us, and not to have lost the job, after the line-up changes, decided to add this compilation on youtube.
It Will not be released anymore.

TSB > In the season that I worked at the ‘Jornal Do Rock’, I was one of the firsts in Brazil to make news on Reason, in the season, I’ve talked to Hugo Mariutti about it. I want to know the reason of the big changes on the musical stile from Ritual to Reason and how was the rescue of the sound next to the original one ?

RICARDO > Reason have bringed a trend that’s not mine, don’t belong to me. My stile is Heavy Metal, with a wide variety of influences on the drums, like swing, virtuous ideas of guitars and voices. Ritual is still my favorite and it defines well Shaman’s stile. If I could go back in time I would make Reason a different cd. Now in Immortal we’ve tried to do a cd rich in Melody and Instrumentals, and at the same time, very heavy. Ritual is still my favorite cd of the old season, and it defines well Shaman’s stile. Immortal haves a lot of Ritual, but it goes beyond, because it is a very versatile album, where exists songs with low tuning and vocals with a lot of Drives, and there is still a totally acoustic song rescuing a sonority of “Holy Land”, from Angra. The Immortal theme was a way to show that Shaman would not end just because the most leaves the band. I wanted  to show people the feeling that, a single seed is enough to create a new forest. All that we need is courage and overshoot, a thing that I know well for all these years, fighting for metal, as a Drummer. The CD name Will also be a massage for all of us, with regard to our planet, that we still can save it, keeping it immortal.

TSB > How did you came to Thiago Bianchi [vocals], Léo Mancini [guitars] e Fernando Quesada [basses]?

RICARDO > It began with a partnership with Thiago Bianchi, in producing a band is studio. Talking about what would be Shaman, He told me about some good musicians that he already recorded in studio, and then the tests began. I Just have to say that they are excellent musicians, that have been chosen among dozens of other musicians that I’ve tested, during hearing seasons in my studio. It ended up been chosen Leo Mancini and Fernando Quesada. I always say to them that I didn’t chose them, they chose me. We also called Fabrizio Di Sarno, as a accompanist musician to develop and play the arrangements of keyboards and orchestra.

TSB > I was reading on internet, and noticed that the selection of the new members was secret. What was the motive of this initiative?

RICARDO > Yes, some things we do the way we know, and for me, that was the way that I’ve found to do the things. No appeal from fans. At the time of choice, had to come from me this option.

TSB > How’ve been the Immortal’s process of composition?

RICARDO > Was a job that first, we’ve done with very Will and dedication. We used our free time between our careers as producers, musicians, and teachers to record this CD. Much of this was recorded on Saturdays and Sundays, between the commitments. Like all works, was made a pre-production where we chose and finish the Best songs of each demo and we give a touch of the band, to have an unity. The material was numerous ando f great quality. Fernando brought many ideas, just like Leo and Thiago, Who wrote the most of the lyrics. The Record was one of the fastest that I ever done, I’ve recorded all drums in 2 days, e and that was the standard for guitars, basses and voice. Because we are experiment, we’ve jump some “boring” procedures, and finished it on a objective way. The arrangements of Fabrizio added a lot on this CD

TSB > Something curious happened while recording?

RICARDO > The Fabrizio’s Keyboards and orchestral arrangements added a lot on this CD. He conduced a little orchestra of strings made by musicians of the ‘Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo’ [OSESP],that have moved everybody that was present on the moment of the CD register. Of course, we have everything recorded in video and we went to use it on a future DVD

TSB > How is the Immortal tour with the new musicians?

RICARDO > As I said, we are going to a Latin-American tour in October.
We are going to Panama, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia, Peru and Paraguay. In the middle of 2009, we Will make a tour in some festivals in Europe playing our CD Immortal with the Goçmen Symphony Orchestra of Turkey [http://www.gocso.com ]. Will be amazing concerts that we Will record in DVD and release in 2010. Many dates in Brazil, you can see in the band’s official website
www.shamanimmortal.com

TSB > How was playing in Anime Friends, an event of japanese entertainment?

RICARDO > Was very rox, I am a great fan of anime and sci fi, and these are my greatest influences!
I saw this Japanese culture became giant here in Brazil in only 5 or 6 years. The public of more than 35 thousand people received Shaman in a splendid way, better than the waited, and that can be seen on the new Shaman LIVE DVD, recorded at anime friends,that haves the release expected already this year. While that enjoy the teaser that we added for you on youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX7cMMbvsbI

TSB > In Immortal, you drums taken is more well make.. Freedom’s taken, for example, remembers a lot the takens that you have composed at Holy Land album, from Angra. How these ideas did arise?

RICARDO > Yes, that’s true. In Shaman’s new record I returned to my roots on the drums, creating like the old ones, In Angra Season. They are a lot of surprises, and I pretend to revolutionize again with this new album. For me it has to become a reference for drummers, just like 'Holy Land' [Angra] was. I worked a lot for this. In Fact I Mix not only brazilian rythms, But Afro rythms, latin rythms, Arabian rythms,etc. Thers a lot of these things on this CD, but don’t wait to hear any ‘baiãozinho’ or ‘timbalada’. I always work without repeating, or repeat what is being done by others, what is very hard these days. The harmonies also are always Metal, nothing with accordion harmonies, with ‘baião’ behind. Forgive me that it’s not what I don’t like it, but now what we do is Heavy Metal, not an experimental sound, neither new age. For that the bases are always on Heavy and dense harmonies, but with attitude.

TSB > How is the receptivity of the new álbum?

RICARDO > It’s been sensational, we play with the soul. There no way to not noticed that being in a show o Shaman. Just enter in the link and see our performance in Anime Friends in July, 2008. It was something that was not happening long ago, it’s being a renovation on the senso of known by the viewers them selves that the show is different, that some emotion is passed now that was not passed before

TSB > And in the exterior, how is the receptivity?

RICARDO > Pretty good too! only good reviews in the great magazines. We are in the first place of Cashbox, that is a web billboard. The receptivity is so good, that is rendering us this tour with orchestra in 2009.

TSB > When you, the vocalist André Matos e and the bassist Luis Mariutti left Angra and founded Shaman, I’ve noticed a certain implications between the fans of both bands. In ‘orkut’ there is a community named: 'Angra - O Original', of fans that don’t approve the formation of the group, with Edu, Aquiles and Felipe. Between the bands, there was a tense climate in the season?

RICARDO > They say that had, but personally never had anything to me. I always forget soon any quarrel because I don’t think that I have many times to lose with this. Many time these communities in ‘orku’t are made by fake users of the own musicians, their girlfriends and friends, that have nothing to do all the day and keep cultivating the hate for success outside.

TSB > Could you make a review? for bands where you played, Korzus, Angra and Shaman? What have changed during all these years?

RICARDO > All of them have been very important for me. With Korzus I've learned to play with pressure and to make real shows.
With Angra i’ve learned more about music than anywhere. In Shaman I could express myself composing and now, with the new guys, we assumed everything, production, recording, business finally, I became a complete artist. Many people think that we stay at home hoping the phone rings, but it’s not that way. We always have to run for things.

TSB > Talking about Angra, that’s my curiosity. When you joined the band, the first Cd, Angels Cry, was already recorded by Rhapsody’s drummer, Alex Holzwarth and by Thomas Nack, former Gamma Ray, that recorded only one track. How was your adjustment during the shows. You have created something yours on the basis of these drum’s records, or reproduced just like the CD?

RICARDO > I tried to play as close as possible, something are very personals, from drummer to drummer, but the idea was to be equal.

TSB > And how’ve been the workshops?

RICARDO > At the first haf I went to Ribeirão Preto/SP, Aracaju/SE, Fortaleza/CE, Leme/SP, Campinas/SP, Porto Alegre/RS, Caxias/RS, Guarapuava/PR, Curitiba/PR.
I’m programing to go back to northeast this year.

TSB > Talking about the future. What’s your personal plans and Shaman’s plans? Any CD, DVD on sight ?

RICARDO > A DVD on sight – Shaman live at Animefriends, that Will count with a making off of most part of the tour [at least 27 shows ] and of the recording of the Immortal CD. A new studio álbum is scheduled for next year. We are waiting to be touring in all places of the world! I am working in other bands productions, as a producer, Like Ravenland, Satisfire and others.

TSB > Ricardo, thank you very much for this interview. Could you leave a scrap for all the readers of the TOSEMBANDA.COM?!

RICARDO > A great hug for everybody on this site dedicated to who is with difficulties on the search of the ideal band and sound! The deal is never stop to play
!

Thanks to all our fans for the support!

Tiziana Hurd, Shaman's manager

SolMusic Management Inc.
Shaman's agent
Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply