Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGildenlow Ticks Me Off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gildenlow Ticks Me Off
    Posted: October 03 2008 at 03:25
Quote What I cant understand is your all or nothing attitude..

Eh, that's how I am. I have my views and you all have yours, so let's all just move along.

http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 20:10
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

If Gildenlow was singing about this stuff and making money on it, but didn't actually believe any of it (but was selling it to people who did), THAT would be hypocrisy.

This is where it becomes iffy since this is a concept album written from a fictitious character's point-of-view, so he might not believe any of it but he might. A bit of a gray area, I think.

Well listen to PoS's other albums, we know that he's pretty much anti- capitalist but Scarsick is just that much more extreme for the sake of the concept. Unless he's been BSing for more than 10 years streight in his albums and all over the web then we can safely assume that this isnt a grey area.

What I cant understand is your all or nothing attitude..
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 15:36
This thread is becoming perhaps the most shallow debate over political philosophy that I've ever encountered. Let's just make two things clear:

1) Not even communists are against making money. They just advocate another system of distribution of that income (and, incidentally, one that is totally inefficient and useless and which lowers productivity).

2) If Gildenlöw would have had "making money" as his number one preoccupation, he would have been playing something other than progressive metal.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 15:30
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

If Gildenlow was singing about this stuff and making money on it, but didn't actually believe any of it (but was selling it to people who did), THAT would be hypocrisy.

This is where it becomes iffy since this is a concept album written from a fictitious character's point-of-view, so he might not believe any of it but he might. A bit of a gray area, I think.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 15:08

Originally posted by WinterLight WinterLight wrote:

It just seems hilariously hypocritical and pretentious to me. If I were all of the sudden anti-capitalist, I'd put all my music on my website to be freely downloaded.

And you'd probably starve.

Obviously not since I have a job and other investments at the moment.

I don't dislike the album or the guy because he's "using his resources", it's just the irony of venomously damning selling things while turning around and selling things like music, politics, and sleaze that irks me.

And you'd obviously not be anti-capitalist if you had a job and investments.  Ironic, yes.  Hypocritical, no.  If Gildenlow was singing about this stuff and making money on it, but didn't actually believe any of it (but was selling it to people who did), THAT would be hypocrisy.  As it is, he has to make a living somehow, and giving his albums away isn't going to do it.  He's a musician, so to survive in the world right now, he has no choice but to sell his music (assuming he still wants to be a musician and not beg on street corners).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 03:37
Originally posted by WinterLight WinterLight wrote:

It just seems hilariously hypocritical and pretentious to me. If I were all of the sudden anti-capitalist, I'd put all my music on my website to be freely downloaded.

And you'd probably starve.

Obviously not since I have a job and other investments at the moment.

I don't dislike the album or the guy because he's "using his resources", it's just the irony of venomously damning selling things while turning around and selling things like music, politics, and sleaze that irks me.
WinterLight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 22:28

And you'd probably starve.  One can have ideals yet not be utopian in realizing those ideals:  that this is not tantamount to hypocrisy or pretense is clear.  To not use one's resources in achieving broad goals seems silly and myopic to me.  To be sure, Marx and Engles had no objection to such practical considerations.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 22:17
I don't care what the message is in the album, or if it's merely supposed to be simply the opinions of a character from The Perfect Element. I don't care what kind of person Daniel is. I just care about the music as a whole. And frankly, it wasn't too good on Scarsick.

Edited by Moatilliatta - September 30 2008 at 22:18
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 19:07

It all comes off like a salesperson selling you something that helps you avoid salespeople...
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 18:42

I also think it's hilarious that he spends an entire album crying and fuming about the evils of capitalism and selling things, yet he sells music

How else is he supposed to get his message across? he and the entire world exists within the capitalistic system. Thats the way it works. i read a good quote by Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine who was defending the band selling records when their message was inherently anti-capitalistic. i cant find the interview but he says basically the same thing i did. Its the way things work right now.
No offense of course and i dont want to sound harsh, but i kinda find comments like that a little ignorant and arogant. Ouch
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 14:03
I can´t believe people keep on forgeting that Scarsick is written from the point of view of one of the TPE characters! Of course it´s Gildenlow writting all, but keep in mind he is also doing it from perspective of "He", not that much from his own...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 11:43

He's also selling politics with Scarsick, which goes more directly against the concept than just selling music. Evil%20Smile

As I stated in my review of the album, its hard to put much belief into the political views asserted in the album when website entries are very self-congratulatory about reaching the top of European metal charts. I don't know, it just seems like sometimes the more steadfast someone is in their identity the more their identity crisis comes into sharp relief.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 05:24
He's also selling politics with Scarsick, which goes more directly against the concept than just selling music. Evil%20Smile
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 19:02
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Off topic kinda call me cynical, but I really don't think there's a one to one correlation between voting and the state of the gov't. Democracy is basically just a ploy to keep people from rebelling by giving the illusion of choice. Maybe I've just seen too much X-Files, but I'm pretty sure behind every powerful gov't, there is a cigarette smoking man.

I'm not saying that the big corporations don't have a part in governmental business, but the people is much more important to a government than you may think. Since the American Revolution and the French Revolution the right of resistance against tyrannical governments is a basic right, defended even by the constitution. However, people don't mind a thing if their life is smooth and easygoing, no matter if there is people somewhere suffering so they can have comfort. That is why, in the past 20 years, there have been so few political problems between the citizens and their government, at least in the developed countries.

The TL;DR version: people will only move their asses if someone in the government screw up big time and, besides that, they are facing some crisis (like starvation, excessive taxes, natural disasters, etc).
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 18:37
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Flower Kings came. . .

And Sleeper, I think he made a valid point.

I believe The Flower Kings spend a lot of their own money to get to the states and only play in certain places were they are confident of a sell out, or near as anyway.

And no, I dont think Avantgardhead made a valid point, we all live in a monetry bassed economy, which means we have to pay for everything. That includes recording, producing, mixing and mastering a CD/DVD and they've got to recoupe the cost somehow, so they need to sell the album, especially since its InsideOut paying for it. Regardless of what people think of his stance on America, you cant acuse him of living in his own private world.

Sure I can:

Gildenlow lives in his own provate world.

Done and done.

Really, whats a provate world?Wink

~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 17:31

Flower Kings came. . .

I believe The Flower Kings spend a lot of their own money to get to the states and only play in certain places were they are confident of a sell out, or near as anyway.

And no, I dont think Avantgardhead made a valid point, we all live in a monetry bassed economy, which means we have to pay for everything. That includes recording, producing, mixing and mastering a CD/DVD and they've got to recoupe the cost somehow, so they need to sell the album, especially since its InsideOut paying for it. Regardless of what people think of his stance on America, you cant acuse him of living in his own private world.

Sure I can:

Gildenlow lives in his own provate world.

Done and done.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 05:49

Flower Kings came. . .

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 03:26

I also think it's hilarious that he spends an entire album crying and fuming about the evils of capitalism and selling things, yet he sells music

I find it hilarious the way people simplify things so much that what they say is pointless.

Same to you, buddy!
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 00:09
I still think he really needs to get over himself. If I had a band I'd tour wherever I could, because I'd want people to hear my music whether they were dirty commies, fascist capitalist pigs, or any of the range between. Besides, wouldn't his message be better to be heard in the US? After all, he's basically just preaching to the choir right now.

Off topic kinda call me cynical, but I really don't think there's a one to one correlation between voting and the state of the gov't. Democracy is basically just a ploy to keep people from rebelling by giving the illusion of choice. Maybe I've just seen too much X-Files, but I'm pretty sure behind every powerful gov't, there is a cigarette smoking man.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 17:03
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Pain of salvation is not that big of a band. They don't have tons of cash to get on a plane, come to a country where their fanbase is spread out and they get harassed a airports. How can you blame them?

Flower Kings came. . .

Hey, I don't cry about it or anything. It just sucks, for me and other PoS fans.

And I will vote, trust me.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>