Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Eddie Jobson releases UKZ download track for sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEddie Jobson releases UKZ download track for sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eddie Jobson releases UKZ download track for sale
    Posted: October 01 2008 at 19:12
Eddie Jobson has released an MP3 of the new UKZ band. You can purchase it by following the links here: http://ukzband.com/
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 15:04
Perhaps you could tell us a bit about UKZ?

Edited by Easy Livin - October 02 2008 at 15:04
meptune View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 16:46
Sure thing Easy. I hope this is the right place to put it. UKZ is a Pog project that Eddie Jobson has put together consisting of himself on keys and violin, Aaron Lippert on vocals, Trey Gunn on touchstyle guitar, Alex Machacek on guitar, and Marco Minnemann on drums. It seems he's making another virtuoso super group like the original UK project. I've been following this for awhile and it's been delayed a few times.
The track they've made available for download is called "TU-95" and I think it has a very KC kind of vibe to it. I love it and I can't wait to hear the final project.
The official website is http://ukzband.com/ and that has links to each of the members pesonal pages.
In addition to the MP3, Trey Gunn has some video on his myspace www.myspace.com/treygunn that shows him in the studio tracking to one of Marco Minnemann's drum part.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 17:03
Didn't he get the memo, everything is supposed to be released for free these days. TongueLOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 03:38
Thanks for the info Meptune, good luck to Eddie with his new venture. Maybe you could keep us advised when an album is available.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 12:02
^^ Remember Brian, it took about 20 years to record so that's a lot of studio time to pay for Wacko

Hope it's worth the wait.

Edited by Roj M30 - October 03 2008 at 12:02
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 22:01
Being an EJ fan since the days of 'Air Cut', I'm quite looking forward to it . I've noticed a bit of scepticism aimed at Eddie by some mbs. and it may well have some justification, but I'm all behind bold new projects, resurrections, reunions etc. It all adds to new output we enthusiasts enjoy . He does have something to live up to having regard to the ' tour de force' that was UK. Lets hope it measures up, but I'm sure many will find causes for criticism come what may . Anyway, fingers crossed for something challenging and interesting .
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
meptune View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 13:07
So has anyone listened to the track? Ready to post an opinion? Personally, I was surprised by how much it sounded like a King Crimson instrumental. I think the guitar tone sounds a lot like Robert Fripp. I was also surprised that both Alex Machacek and Marco Minnemann seem very subdued. Considering what amazing soloists those two are, I was expecting more from an instrumental track. Also, I didn't notice any electric violin, which I was hoping for as well. I do think it's a very interesting prog tune. I like the way they mess with time in the beginning then settle into the 7/4 with the thumping war guitar. I think Trey Gunn and Marco Minnemann make a formidable rhythm section. It sounds like the solo is Trey Gunn - it definitely doesn't sound like the kind of guitar solo I'm used to from Alex Machacek. On his other work that I've heard, he doesn't seem to use that much distortion. His tone sounds, to me, something more like that of John Scofield, i.e. fairly clean but overdriven (but I'm not a guitar player), maybe he's experimenting. Again, I definitely enjoy it and think it's a very well crafted and interesting piece, my disapointments notwithstanding.

On another note, the UKZ website lists Aaron Lippert as the new singer. He doesn't appear on the teaser track and I've never heard of him, so I visited his website. It's interesting because he sounds to me like a very ordinary sort of pop rock singer (like Coldplay maybe). He definitely does not strike me as anywhere near as interesting as John Wetton, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt as the songs that I heard were not prog at all. He may well have what it takes when put to the test.
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 17:30
I was waiting for this for a long time.
I hate to say it, but, I am a bit disappointed.

First of all, I do not hear the electric violin & I am not a big KC fan so it's not really for me.
(Maybe, I will like the other tracks when the EP gets released)
Anniej21 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 15:21
You can now see UKZ video of the amazing track - Radiation - on You Tube

Dont miss the gig - New York Town Hall Saturday January 24thClap
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 15:42
Well, hopefully UKZ will soon release an album, travel around the world...

Not that I'm impatient. Not that I'm waiting for Eddie Jobson music for a long long time LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply