FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed'Pink Floyd not prog'???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 10:04
I've heard all the arguments I'm convinced Pink Floyd are not prog !  Cry

But I like them alot anyway ..  but they are not prog You know it and I know it they are Moms and Dads Kmart music for Christmas time or little wayward henry who smoked his first J and thinks he is gonna be a stoner  like his Uncle  .   Cry
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 10:50
There's no doubt that a lot of Floyd stuff appeals to people who wouldn't really describe themselves as a prog-rock fan, but then again those people would probably run a mile if you played them "Ummagumma" and you could also say the same about later Genesis and Rabin-era Yes.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 11:30
Like I've said before, prog bashing is the domain of worn out, pretentious, arrogant and uninspired writers who are completely void of other topics. And the talent pool is rather thin these days, particularly when it comes to the topic of entertainment. 
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 11:52
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I think we can all agree that Pink Floyd were very different from Yes or Genesis, at least in the early 70s. For me they never were part of the "style" called Prog, and neither were Frank Zappa or Magma, for example.

Well, I guess you're right in that albums like UMMAGUMMA are more experimental than anything Yes or Genesis were doing at that time. But about 'Echoes' I'm not so sure. I've always seen it as a typical epic in the same vein as 'Close to the Edge', only with less virtuosic playing (which doesn't mean it's less convincing). And 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond': isn't that an obvious attempt to produce a multi-part syphonic suite? (Only, the Floyd being the Floyd, it came out rather SLOW...)

On the other hand, it's true Prog Archives sees prog as much broader than I myself would have done in the 1970s. For me, as for the writer of that article, prog equalled symphonic prog. Can, Neu, early Zappa, Robert Wyatt and Hatfield and the North were a different type of music.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 12:11
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

And they sure as sh*t didn't come up that last part of "Saucerful of Secrets" themselves...
Then what is it from?
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 14:24
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

And they sure as sh*t didn't come up that last part of "Saucerful of Secrets" themselves...
Then what is it from?
Bach?   Nah, can't be, that would make it symphonic prog Wink
What?
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 15:42
Yet another angst filled discussion about Pink Floyd being prog. IMO, people that think Pink Floyd is not prog do not know the band enough and the article in an obvious troll. I bet the writer is laughing his ass off. Just don't respond this kind of crap, just let it die a horrible death by the hands of nothingness and oblivion.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL, FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!

Edited by CCVP - October 09 2008 at 15:51
inrainbows View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 15:56
Who cares of what Mr Will Byers think about Floyd?
He just wants to say : "look at me, I have an opinion about a legend!"

Let's laugh loud LOL
Alberto Muńoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 16:25
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Yet another angst filled discussion about Pink Floyd being prog. IMO, people that think Pink Floyd is not prog do not know the band enough and the article in an obvious troll. I bet the writer is laughing his ass off. Just don't respond this kind of crap, just let it die a horrible death by the hands of nothingness and oblivion.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL, FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!

Gaston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 18:09

Why this person is wrong:

Wacky time signatures
Pink Floyd rarely indulged in the show-off polymetric twaddle practised by Genesis or Yes. Genesis' Dance on a Volcano nearly made my A-level students sick when I played it to them as an example of prog rock. The ponderous 7/4 theme is genuinely queasy, with the melodic phrase feeling unfinished on the sixth beat. The seventh beat hangs in mid-air without function and induces an unpleasant vertigo sensation. It's completely unnecessary because, if they had continued the syncopation set up by the fifth note of the melody, the flow of this phrase would have naturally formed a seven-beat cycle. The only notable song where the Floyd lapse into an unusual metre is Money, one of their most commercially successful songs, which lopes along a 7/4 bass riff without batting an eyelid. They could do wacky time signatures if they fancied, without inspiring the likes of Marillion.

>>>>>>

It's not just staying in single obscure (read non 2/4 or 4/4 or swing) time signatures that signifies prog - it's the changes one to another.

Look at Shine on you crazy Diamond. In it we go from a syncopated 6/8 time into a 2/4 swing without missing a beat because the two signatures are actually related on the up beat. Only prog acts do this. We also see this in other miscellaneous songs like Welcome to the Machine (4/4 and 6/8) Jugband Blues (3/4 swing into 2/4 regular), See-saw, and some others - I'd have to go back to the catalog and look into again.

Then on top of that we have shorts - what I mean by this is losing a beat on the end of a phrase which actually makes the beat one off. They do this alot, and not just in Money (short a beat from 8/8 actually) they do it on a bunch of songs on The Wall and Division Bell and most notably Have a Cigar.

So he is wrong on multiple time signature accusation counts.

Jazz: Delicious hot, disgusting cold
Rick Wright was the most traditionally tutored musician in the Floyd and the other band members often spoke of the jazz influence he brought to the group. However, the most remarkable thing about Rick's training is how he let himself be moulded by the experimental tendencies of Syd Barrett and Roger Waters. It is testament to his sympathetic and sensitive ability that I rarely hear a jazz influence in Rick's work, even his own compositions. His best known, the headache-inducing/soothing Great Gig in the Sky, contains jazzy seventh chords, but is really just a series of beautiful chord progressions, and not jazz in any meaningful way. If you listen to the vile interpolation of jazz that erupts five minutes into King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man you will understand how a great Black Sabbath-style slab of noise can be ruined by prog excess.

>>>>>>>>>>

If you don't hear a jazz influence in Rick Wright's playing I suggest you stop being a music critic. Listen to the solo in San Tropez and that's just ONE example.

This person needs to find a new job.

Lyrics
The extent of swords and sorcery lyrics in prog is overstated, but when it strays from Tolkien it rarely improves. As with the music, an over-zealous air of trying to be clever prevails: "Complaining tongues are stilled; a thousand mouths are filled with rusting metal" sing Van de Graaf Generator, as if anticipating criticism. Hmmm. Compare most of the nonsense in prog rock with the casual spite of Pink Floyd's Dogs, which is as ferocious as punk, as elegiac as Wish You Were Here and as hazily nostalgic as Fat Old Sun. Good stuff I promise you.

>>>>>>>

If sword and scorcery lyrics were all Prog lyrics were, I would agree with him. But they're not, so bollocks to him. They encompass space, ancient civilizations, philosophy, genetics, religion, and just about everything else nerdy you can think of.

Floyd clearly write from a smart person perspective so they qualify.

Be careful what you borrow
Too often, prog rock is about nicking half-baked ideas from genuinely progressive music and executing them poorly. If you want unsettlingly beautiful shifting washes of texture then try Ligeti's Lontano, which predates the irritatingly new age Tangerine Dream. If you want to be rhythmically challenged, then forget the horrific noodling of Yes and check out Béla Bartók, who was inspired by the addictive rhythms of his native Hungary's folk music. Or in case I'm getting too Eurocentric, try the terrifyingly odd polyrhythms of Captain Beefheart and Steve Reich's mesmeric phase-shifting.

>>>>>>>

This guy's pretentiousness puts some of the people on this forum to shame. There is nothing wrong with being influenced by others. Ligeti has tinges of Bartok! (ironic this columnist has written this) and Bartok, like this author has conceded was inspired by European folk music (as was Ligeti actually).

That is the gap this author fails to grasp. This is why we call it Prog. It is an "update" and a question mark to where music may actually be heading. But it still has all its roots profoundly planted somewhere in the past.

Hell, Pink Floyd took its name from two blues musicians!

So there. Pink Floyd: not prog rock and excellent to boot. Strangely detached, but intensely moving; bleak but heartfelt. No Mars Volta or Muse, not even Radiohead (too much angst in that voice) are carrying the legacy of this incredibly idiosyncratic band forward. Strange echoes occur in odd places. I can hear similar lyrical themes of reserved English desperation set to fascinatingPink Floyd arrangements on Field Music's excellent Tones of Town.

Where else can I get my fix now there's no hope of that reunion?

>>>>>>>>>

Sadly, they were one of a kind. Cry

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Then what is it from?

It was a serious question.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 04:00

Seems like bashing at prog just for the fun of it. I wouldn't send my daughter to his music class. Let this guy stick to C&W, maybe then he knows what he's writing about... Disapprove

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 04:59
Some Floyd is prog, and some isn't... but what do labels really matter as long as you like the music? 

As a teenager of the 1970's it always seemed to me that the Floyd appealed to prog and non-prog fans alike to a greater or lesser extent.  One fact that is undeniable tho is during that 70's era they influenced more other musicians than any other artist, save perhaps for Bowie... just as the Beatles/Stones had done in the 60's.

As Roger Waters once commented, the only thing that matters is whether a song moves you or not.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 05:30
Prog is not Pink Floyd.. debateWink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 05:50

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Then what is it from?

It was a serious question.
Sorry, that was serious answer in a humorous format Embarrassed - if not Bach, then inspired by some other Baroque composer, in much the same way as Procol Harum's White Shade of Pale was inspired by Bach's Air On A G-String. Due to Wright's keyboard arrangements (and, I would argue, Mason's anti-rock drumming, which at times borders on concert percussion), many of Floyd's pieces have symphonic elements, in an eclectic sense rather than a Symphonic Prog sense.
What?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 06:26
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

I don't care.
I don't give a f****  what some rag says either I mean does it really matter. I got tired of the what is/what isn't prog debate long ago.
AlanD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 07:53
The point I took objection to in this twit's article was his glib attempt to deride Genesis' Dance on a Volcano by employing some abstruse and heavily flawed musicological reasoning that such a composition should be somehow fashioned to an imaginary mental model of his own devising. Why? He'll certainly find several thousand musicoligists who disagree with him. It may have made him feel 'queasy' but on the occasions I choose listen to Dance on a Volcano, it has the effect of  leaving me feeling energised and uplifted.

One of the main tenets of progressive rock in the early seventies was a kicking over of the traces and bending of so-called 'rules'. Even if the track had been recorded dropping half a beat from every bar and employed quarter tones, it would still be a valid piece of composition. In the end, music is a subjective art and we all have our own tastes and biases. As for listening to Bartok and Ligeti, sure, why not? I frequently do - I also listen to Genesis and Yes and, dependent on mood, enjoy and appreciate them all equally. Why should they be mutually exclusive?

Never mind, the same sort of inane comments have been springing from the pens (and now computers)of imbiciles with delusions of grandeur for many a year, so why stop now? I certainly feel sorry for his 'students', let's hope some of them have minds and ears of their own and don't turn out like that sad twerp. Genesis music will definitely outlive him, that's for certain.

Oh, and of course, Pink Floyd are one of the original 'bricks in the wall' of the genre dubbed 'Progressive Rock ' - that's a historical fact. What a plonker!
AlanD
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 07:54
Originally posted by poslednijat_colobar poslednijat_colobar wrote:

This guy from interview,told that he hate 7/4! It's irregular tempo. It's genius. I would like to ask you,guys,is that the real tempo of Dance on a Volcano?I thought it is 5/4???

The time signature is indeed 7/4.

'Tempo' just refers to the pace at which the music is played.

'Down & Out' by Genesis is a good example of 5/4 time.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 08:02
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

"Genesis' [COLOR=#005689">Dance on a Volcano[/COLOR"> nearly made my A-level students sick when I played it to them as an example of prog rock. The ponderous 7/4 theme is genuinely queasy"

That is just nonsense.

Indeed. Utter bogsh!te if I ever heard it.

Perhaps if he had played them 'Larks Tounges in Aspic' or something, I could believe this, but there isn't really anything innaccessable about 'DOAV' Despite the irregular time signature, its still very 'easy on the ear'

Genesis composed the song that way to catch the attention of a wider audience, whilst retaining their 'prog credentials' They were masters at doing that.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 08:42
True Andy. DOAV is the most prog song on that album, but still retains a commercial feel. I doubt that many of his A level students could even identify it as being in 7/4.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>