Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMind's Eye progressive metal ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mind's Eye progressive metal ?
    Posted: October 11 2008 at 06:49
First I have to admit I don't know all their albums. But I know two of them (A Work of Art and Walking on H2o) and that's about 25 songs. But I haven't heard one song that can be called true progressive metal. At best this is a borderline case to me. But my true believe is that they belong in Heavy Prog.
Please give your opinion.
(This could also be a topic for the mentioned genreteams but I had to make a choice. First we'll try the general forum)
A day without prog is a wasted day
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 07:03
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

First I have to admit I don't know all their albums. But I know two of them (A Work of Art and Walking on H2o) and that's about 25 songs. But I haven't heard one song that can be called true progressive metal. At best this is a borderline case to me. But my true believe is that they belong in Heavy Prog.
Please give your opinion.
(This could also be a topic for the mentioned genreteams but I had to make a choice. First we'll try the general forum)

Hi PR,

Yes I know exactly where you are coming from.  I own both of the albums you have mentioned, and neither of them are metal at all... they are mainstream Heavy Prog, possibly in the vein of Enchant, Everon, Tiles and to an extent, Rush (indeed parts of Walking on H2O are almost AOR).

The problem is that they then released A Gentleman's Hurricaine, which is considerably heavier, with far more grinding bass-lines than they've ever used before.  If you only heard this album from them, I think you'd be quite happy with the PM tag for them, which puts our genre teams into the difficult position of 'what are they going to release next??'Confused

This issue has been raised before, and I have been told that they deliberately released an album with a more metal feel, to compliment the concept of an assassin within one last execution to perform (Operation Mindcrime, anyone??) and it may be that their style will change again on their next album...

so I guess, the jury's still out on this chameleon band.  If you're asking my personal oppinion, then I think they'd still fit the Heavy Prog genre more accurately, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?

LOL

Thanks for the thought-provoking post, though...Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 11:05
I'd almost say: let's buy this new album but then again I already buy a lot and my moneytree is empty right now Unhappy. But thanks for the hint anyway Jared. By the way, I'm still waiting for an answer in the 10 favorite bands topic (page 16, below) Approve.
A day without prog is a wasted day
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 18:36
this would be an odd move if ProgMetal Team hasn't shown interest in moving them, and though some of the samples (below) do indicate a sometimes less-than-metal sound, it may not be enough at this stage

http://www.danielflores.net/minds_eye_website/audio.html

Post Reply Post Reply