Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBassist Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of the following bassists do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [24.10%]
2 [2.41%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [4.82%]
9 [10.84%]
1 [1.20%]
2 [2.41%]
22 [26.51%]
23 [27.71%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bassist Poll
    Posted: October 15 2008 at 15:17
Tell why you chose the bassist if you want.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 15:29
Another best bass player poll.  I won't bother lamenting the exclusion of Pastorius, Paganotti, Top, Hopper etc. this round. Wooten is very talented, and I gave him a vote, but not being a bass player I don't feel that comfortable determining criteria for who I think is best, let alone making an argument of any real value.

Geddy Lee almost always makes these polls, but I'm not sure what about his technique, or innovation, makes him so esteemed.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 15:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Another best bass player poll.  I won't bother lamenting the exclusion of Pastorius, Paganotti, Top, Hopper etc. this round. Wooten is very talented, and I gave him a vote, but not being a bass player I don't feel that comfortable determining criteria for who I think is best, let alone making an argument of any real value.

Geddy Lee almost always makes these polls, but I'm not sure what about his technique, or innovation, makes him so esteemed.

Logan, I'm going to defend the OP here.  Here's the question posed:

Which of the following bassists do you think is the best?

Dr.No.7134 never made any claim that the bassists listed were the best, to the exclusion of all other musicians, he just provided a list of (presumably his favorite) bassists and was looking for opinion.  I don't see anything wrong with that, and while I'm sure there will be more posts crying about omissions, I'm not sure I feel that it's justified.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 15:48
Voted for Squire, by the way, just so integral to the Yes sound, one of the very best.  Love Geddy Lee as well.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 15:53
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Dr.No.7134 never made any claim that the bassists listed were the best, to the exclusion of all other musicians, he just provided a list of (presumably his favorite) bassists and was looking for opinion.  I don't see anything wrong with that, and while I'm sure there will be more posts crying about omissions, I'm not sure I feel that it's justified.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should have included those options (I've been peeved myself when I've done favourites of mine polls and people have claimed that I should have added so-and-so -- sometimes they were right as I had forgotten favourites of mine, but others I didn't know or like).  His intent was clear, and it's a reason why "I won't bother lamenting the exclusion of Pastorius, Paganotti, Top, Hopper etc. this round."  That would be like saying that my favourites should be his.  So no criticism intended.

Even with the poll question, I don't feel qualified to determine which I think is best of these (a recognition of my own ignorance).  I still voted for Wooten.  Okay, maybe I do think think he's the best of these, but best in what regard (I still don't feel comfortable, though i can say he's my favourite)?  I do try to think through such questions, and weigh up, even if the end result just reflects my opinion, but I like to base my opinion on objective comparisons while looking at different attributes.

Sorry for being unclear.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 15:56

just as Helmut Hattler NEVER makes it into them. I haven't seen a single bass poll mentioning him

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 15:57

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should have included those options (I've been peeved myself when I've done favourites of mine polls and people have claimed that I should have added so-and-so -- sometimes they were right as I had forgotten favourites of mine, but others I didn't know or like).  His intent was clear, and it's a reason why "I won't bother lamenting the exclusion of Pastorius, Paganotti, Top, Hopper etc. this round."  That would be like saying that my favourites should be his.  So no criticism intended.

Even with the poll question, I don't feel qualified to determine which I think is best of these (a recognition of my own ignorance).  I still voted for Wooten.  Okay, maybe I do think think he's the best of these, but best in what regard (I still don't feel comfortable, though i can say he's my favourite)?  I do try to think through such questions, and weigh up, even if the end result just reflects my opinion, but I like to base my opinion on objective comparisons while looking at different attributes.

Sorry for being unclear.

Thanks for clarifying, I guess I wanted to head off at the pass the inevitable flood of "Where is <insert my favorite bassist here>?" posts.  Also, with these things, I simply interpret "best" to mean "favorite", as like you, I am surely unable to objectively judge whether one bassist is "better" than another (I wouldn't even know what criteria to use).  So if Wooten is indeed your favorite from the list, you've voted successfully!  Tongue
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 15:58
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

just as Helmut Hattler NEVER makes it into them. I haven't seen a single bass poll mentioning him

Then I suggest you make one yourself.  Nothing is stopping you.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 16:10

been there, done that - no reaction

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 16:15

Sorry for being unclear.

Thanks for clarifying, I guess I wanted to head off at the pass the inevitable flood of "Where is <insert my favorite bassist here>?" posts.  Also, with these things, I simply interpret "best" to mean "favorite", as like you, I am surely unable to objectively judge whether one bassist is "better" than another (I wouldn't even know what criteria to use).  So if Wooten is indeed your favorite from the list, you've voted successfully!  Tongue

I often use the same tactic, and might have explicitly done so if I wasn't dealing with the baby at the same time.  Incidentally, I've written uberlong posts in response to Peter in the past about "best" polls, and have said that it can mean "best for you."  One can objectively judge quite well with enough knowledge, but the criteria that one favours to ultimately determine one's choice is often subjectively chosen (say if one values one quality over another).  That was actually something of a specialty of mine when it came to film studies (building frameworks of analysis in regards to "worth"), but that was a long time ago, and I'm not exactly the intellectual equal to my younger self.  I wouldn't say I've voted successfully because it's my favourite, it depends on how one interprets the question.  If one simply means favourite, then generally one says so.  With best polls, it's best to be very familiar with all of the artists, at the least, and also in this case, to have a good understanding of the techniques.  I tend to place versatility quite highly, but innovation, formal technique, ability to improvise, creativity and "feeling" are important.  Some factor in compositional skills to a  high extent.   Even as a non bass player (I do play guitar, actually, but not very well), I can often say that one player is better than another (as music instructors can, of course), but it gets harder when you have a group of highly trained professional musicians.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Logan - October 15 2008 at 16:29
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 16:26

been there, done that - no reaction

Did a search, but couldn't find one by you, or BaldFreide on that subject.  Did you delete it? I would have been interested.  It would be especially good if you provided links to listening materials for your choices (though that generally hasn't worked for me, but it's a way to expose people to music/ musicians).  Off-topic, but a "limited" poll with youtube percussion solo clips to watch, then choose between, would be great.

EDIT: Baldfriede did some successful drum ones.  Good polls.
Friede’s Drum Poll my personal drum poll Pyle or Moerlen?

And she did an interesting topic on the general subject of best polls that rather highlights your concerns: I'm really sick of "best musician" polls....

Edited by Logan - October 15 2008 at 16:45
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 17:00
Yikes, another one....

Geddy - the sheer sound of that misformed index finger nail playing a Fender Jazz works for me any time.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 17:13

I can enjoy 987 bassist polls as long John Wetton is listedWinkLOL

When he is not, i have to scratch my head and thinkGeek....but the selection is still easy when Chris squire is part of the list!

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 17:18
Wootten is so far above any other bass player in terms of skill and technique - ask any professional bass player. My nephew is a pro bass player; he can play almost anything by Lee, Squire, Myung, Levin, Wimbish, Wolstenholme, Pastorius and the rest, but he gasps in awe at what Wootten can do. The man is a complete God of bass.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
33rpm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 18:10
Tony Levin from the list but where is Jaco?
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 18:58
Do I detect a very cynical vibe recently on PA to those who post a poll that is similar to or the same as one that has been done before?
You know there are new members all the time and I'm sure if I was one who got such a negative response to posting a poll I probably wouldn't do so again or feel that this site was very inclusive and welcoming to new members.
I'm just saying a little consideration goes a long way.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 19:13

From this list i choose Chris Squire from his 70's period

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 19:20

Because few people know himWink

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 19:30
Okay- I'm going to be snooty here.

If you don't vote for Victor Wooten, you're not paying attention.  Think of this way: Wooten could play anything from Yes or Rush EASY.  But if you've heard his solo work ("Norwegian Wood," "Sometimes I Laugh" to name just two tunes), this one is a no-brainer.  Certainly one may like to listen to Lee or Squire (as I would rather listen to these two than Wooten in the context of their respective bands), but I have a difficult time believing either of them could play the bass solo in "Sinister Minister."  Wooten is hands-down one of the greatest electric bassists to walk the earth.

Edited by Epignosis - October 15 2008 at 19:31
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 19:35
Lee wins becauuse in addition to his amazing bass skills, he also sings well and plays the synth well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>