Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEberhard Weber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eberhard Weber
    Posted: October 24 2008 at 19:57
In the past, I've happened to notice the odd record of Eberhard Weber amongst respectable Proghead's collections, a very polific artist on the Avant-Jazz scene, he's been involved in many projects, Et Cetera being an experimental combo playing Eastern tinged music and improvs, his lengthy solo career involving such notable musicians as John Marshall and Charlie Mariano, and session work, of which Kate Bush comes to mind.  I was just wondering if he'd be a worthy inclusion for ProgArchives ???
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 21:21
I think he has been suggested before as he along with others, hold very respectable positions under the ECM banner too. Great music but whether it is PA material I would not be qualified to say. I love his work with Ralph Towner especially on Solstice.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 21:31
Solstice ia a great album indeed! 
I think all those ECM artists like Terje Rypdal, Jan Garbarek, Townwer and others have definitely more ''qualifications'' to be included here on PA than all the latest  very controversial (to say the least) additions  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 00:08

ECM does have interesting artists. I'm not sure why they've included some bands whose Progressiveness is questionable, at best (Journey come to mind), but Weber's material is superb.  Yellow Fields, Silent Feet and Fluid Rustle are beautiful.  A fellow reviewer, 'Gooner', suggested to me to look into getting EW added, I'm just curious as to how much interest he would generate. 

Have any of you folks heard the amazing album 'Hapless Child and other Inscrutable Stories' with Robert Wyatt ??  More Progressive than Journey, I tell you (though I have a soft-spot for Journey's debut) !!  
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 05:14
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Have any of you folks heard the amazing album 'Hapless Child and other Inscrutable Stories' with Robert Wyatt ?? 

I certainly have - I've got the L.P. and I've been waiting for several decades for a CD to be released. (What's keeping them?) The combination of Robert Wyatt's lead vocals and Terje Rypdal's plangent lead guitar sure is something! But as far as I remember Eberhard Weber is not on the album.

As I've indicated in other posts, I'm 100% convinced many of Eberhard Weber's albums are as progressive as they come. I would like to urge whoever is in charge to listen to THE COLOURS OF CHLOE, SILENT FEET and especially YELLOW FIELDS in their entirety. They can all be heard, for example, on the "Spotify" site, which is 100% legal. (All it takes is a simple registration. If you accept the occasional commercial, you do not even need to pay a fee.) Weber is a genius of progressive music!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 06:24
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I think he has been suggested before as he along with others, hold very respectable positions under the ECM banner too. Great music but whether it is PA material I would not be qualified to say. I love his work with Ralph Towner especially on Solstice.

This thread slipped by me when I was started.  Another thumbs up for Solstice. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 08:00
Wouldn't be a bad addition.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 09:59
Oops, it turns out Spotify is only available in a limited number of countries, including Scandinavia and the U.K. Undoubtedly more countries will follow soon.

But don't let this prevent you from considering the great Eberhard Weber, who has been a major influence on proggy jazz musicians such as Pat Metheny. Not only does Metheny acknowledge Weber's influence in the liner notes to what is BY FAR his proggiest suite (viz. THE WAY UP) but Weber even played a starring role on the ten-minute "Sea Song", the proggiest track from Metheny's early solo days.

By "proggy" I mean, in this case, that both Weber and Metheny are clearly influenced just as much by minimalism, European romantic chamber music and a rock 'n' roll beat as by good old jazz improvisation. Moreover, it seems quite likely that they are both familiar with acts like Yes and Mike Oldfield, as the structure of their own 20-minute (plus!) suites tends to show. After all, in the 1970s (and thereabouts) jazz and rock musicians obviously influenced each other. Bands like Brand X were inspired by Return to Forever, but Chick Corea's synth solos also tell us that Chick enjoyed the playing of Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson.

Edited by fuxi - June 18 2009 at 09:59
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 10:13
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Oops, it turns out Spotify is only available in a limited number of countries, including Scandinavia and the U.K. Undoubtedly more countries will follow soon.

But don't let this prevent you from considering the great Eberhard Weber, who has been a major influence on proggy jazz musicians such as Pat Metheny. Not only does Metheny acknowledge Weber's influence in the liner notes to what is BY FAR his proggiest suite (viz. THE WAY UP) but Weber even played a starring role on the ten-minute "Sea Song", the proggiest track from Metheny's early solo days.

By "proggy" I mean, in this case, that both Weber and Metheny are clearly influenced just as much by minimalism, European romantic chamber music and a rock 'n' roll beat as by good old jazz improvisation. Moreover, it seems quite likely that they are both familiar with acts like Yes and Mike Oldfield, as the structure of their own 20-minute (plus!) suites tends to show. After all, in the 1970s (and thereabouts) jazz and rock musicians obviously influenced each other. Bands like Brand X were inspired by Return to Forever, but Chick Corea's synth solos also tell us that Chick enjoyed the playing of Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson.

Chick always wanted to be a classical pianist, and he did a few recordings of Mozart together with classical pianist Friedrich Gulda (who always wanted to be a jazz musician) and Herbie Hancock. They also toured as a trio for some time, balancing on the borderline between classical music and jazz.
Speaking of Gulda: I found this nice version of the Door's classic "Light My Fire", played on piano by him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhidkzL6TWU

Edited by BaldFriede - June 18 2009 at 10:19

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 04:03
An early version of one of EW's best known pieces can be heard on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPbk7s9oB6A

Now tell me, isn't this "progressive fusion"?

The version that was eventually recorded for the COLOURS OF CHLOE album packs far more punch. It features dramatic strings, and such thoroughly proggy instruments as the OCARINA. Hurray for Mr Weber!
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 09:28
 I am a big fan of Eberhard Weber and Ralph Towner and I just bought the collected ECM works of Azimuth (Norma Winstone/Kenny Wheeler/John Taylor & Ralph Towner on the last one) who are in the same category :  acoustic progressive chamber jazz  I would call it ,
 We haven't added so far none of these in the JR/Fusion/NuJazz team, giving a priority to the "rockier" bands and artists, but I agree a 100%, they are far more progressive then a lot of the mainstream electric Fusion bands and  could be filed under Fusion in a wider sense....I make it a topic on the team thread

Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 09:55
Glad to hear you're giving this your backing, Alucard.

I, too, have recently bought the Azimuth set, and I look forward to exploring it! I've seen both Kenny Wheeler and Eberhard Weber live, but I've never had a chance to see Ralph Towner, unfortunately. (He hardly ever came to Japan when I was living there, and he seems to shun the U.K. as well. My German friends tell me that he regularly tours Germany...)
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 00:44
Definitely should be in PA

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 14:00
I support adding Weber to PA's JR data base, go to the JR thread for further developments.
 Post Reply Post Reply