Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRobin Williamson in Prog-Folk Section

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robin Williamson in Prog-Folk Section
    Posted: October 28 2008 at 23:13
I guess The Incredible String Band's shifting meters and constant spirit of adventure was good enough to earn them a place in here, but Robin Williamson, their driving force along with Mike Heron, would arguably be an ever better match.  His music these days sounds more like John Zorn or one of the more out there Rock in Opposition bands than anything else.  But even before the Bard adopted jazz and spoken word poetry, he's always been progressive in the best sense.  Roy Harper, John Martyn and a whole bunch of his contemporaries are on here, even if they only just made it by the scruff of their necks (not for lack of quality, but through only just about fitting the term "prog"); so why not Robin Williamson?

Thanks for hearing me out!  Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2008 at 07:21
MMMMMMhhhh!!!!.....

John Martyn is not yet in; but it's probably my next project.

I'm not familiar with Williamson's post ISB  music (I've heard more of Heron's post ISB works), but if it sounds RIO or Zorn-like (let's just I trust what you write), then RW's inclusion wouldn't fit folk prog, but more the ZART   team.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
DagmarKrause View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2008 at 12:15
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm not familiar with Williamson's post ISB  music (I've heard more of Heron's post ISB works), but if it sounds RIO or Zorn-like (let's just I trust what you write), then RW's inclusion wouldn't fit folk prog, but more the ZART   team.

Thanks for the response, Sean!  (I've bought quite a few LPs the last couple of years because they came with your seal of approval, by the way).

Maybe I should have said Masada-like rather than Zorn-like; this is definitely still folk, just presented in a way I've never heard before.  I recommend listening to his last three albums (Seed-at-Zero, Skirting the River Road and The Iron Stone) to get an idea of what I'm gunning at.

Here's a strangely passionate review from All Music Guide of Skirting the River Road, who seem to have him pegged down pretty well:

Originally posted by AMG AMG wrote:

On his second outing for ECM, Scottish bard and minstrel Robin Williamson moves to resurrect the spirit if not the letter of the ghost of his former Incredible String Band. On his last album for ECM, Williamson appeared completely solo in recreating in a musical setting the works of Welsh poet Dylan Thomas. The result was stunning; The Seed-at-Zero was a theatrical and haunting work of great power and beauty. This time out Williamson is bringing the heart of poets William Blake, Walt Whitman, and Henry Vaughan. And as satisfying as the previous album was, Williamson in characteristic fashion has upped the ante by enlisting the help of jazz and folk musicians from all over the world. First there's the renowned Swedish string and flute player Ale Möller, who uses everything from a hammered dulcimer, a mandola, drone flutes, and vibraphones to accompany Williamson, and there's also American microtonal improviser and composer Mat Maneri on violin, saxophonist Paul Dunmall, and bassist Mick Hutton from Great Britain. What this team does in accompanying Williamson is to free him to reach wider and deeper into the very skeletons of the works he has selected to interpret. For starters, there is the ambient, shimmering joy in "The Morning Watch/A Song of Joys," in which Williamson combines poems by Whitman and Vaughan in a single work, moving from a Celtic droning melody to a recitation of delirious intensity accompanied by Dunmall's improvising horns and rich rhythmic atmospheres by the rest of the band. "Here to Burn" is an original song with quotes from Blake's "Marriage of Heaven and Hell." In the ancient Celtic tradition, Williamson's melody brings forth from the ether of history the very nature of Blake's visionary ranting and singing on the page. "The Four Points Are Thus Beheld," however, is the centerpiece of the album, the hinge on which it turns. With Dunmall's bleating, moaning horn and Williamson's Shakespearan delivery as the band fills in the cracks and crevices with sound so elegantly ragged and true it could have come from a strange dream, the tale from Blake's poem "Jerusalem" becomes a first-person treatise on birth, rebirth, destruction, and transformation that is utterly believable. Kurt Elling could use some of Williamson's gorgeously primitive intonation and cadence displayed on "Dalliance of Eagles," with a stridently textured counterpoint played by Hutton after a band intro. Ultimately it's not about music and/or words, however. Skirting the River Road is about offering a glimpse into the beauty of language as it interacts with itself and other sounds, and of offering the works of the poets and Williamson's own songs as a living, breathing meditation on the continued relevance of the past on the present and in how it haunts your attempts and meaning and trying to destroy it literally and metaphorically. This is not some anachronistic old man's precious little album of quaint songs and recitations, but a dangerous, profound, humorous, and tragic offering of possibility. Williamson offers the possibility to become acquainted with the forgotten, the discarded, the out of time and space, by placing them in contexts that speak to the immediate present with all of its dissonances, contradictions, and unexpected harmonic moments. This is a brilliant album of folk music that has nothing to do with folk music that desires to preserve the past in dead languages. This is folk music that speaks to the "folk" through the languages that are spoken on their margins and whispered in their bedrooms and barrooms all over the English-speaking world. This is the most out jazz record because it is a shining example of what European jazz is capable of expressing when it looks out the window at various cultures and histories that hang lithely on lampposts, in dustbins, in meadows, and in rivers, all about it.

Edited by DagmarKrause - October 30 2008 at 12:27
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2008 at 12:28
Yup, if it's Masada-sounding , it's definitely folkish at  some point.

But anything that sounds Manouche-jazz, Gypsy-jazz or Kelmer-yiddish folk or Eastern European-sounding  is usualy included in the Avant Prog genre
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2008 at 14:35

If John Martyn gets PA, maybe we consider thye future adds of John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Nick Dake and William Ackermann

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2008 at 15:58
Robbie Williams ?????Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 05:41
Originally posted by zafreth zafreth wrote:

If John Martyn gets PA, maybe we consider thye future adds of John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Nick Dake and William Ackermann

Sometimes it's better be thought a fool than letting your fingers on the keyboard prove itTongue

Ever heard of Solid Ai, Bless The Weatherr and Outside In???

Once you will , come back and apologize, you clownTongueClown
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 13:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by zafreth zafreth wrote:

Sometimes it's better be thought a fool than letting your fingers on the keyboard prove itTongue

Ever heard of Solid Ai, Bless The Weatherr and Outside In???

Once you will , come back and apologize, you clownTongueClown

Yes  for your pleasure, i have all the mayority of the John Martyn discography.

Soild Air are dedicated to Nick Drake BTW.

Jonh Martyn and his wife Berevly Martyn (they recorded together that wonderful album called Stombringer in 1970), knows ND in person, and one day Nick Drake was moaning about his life and John Replies to him "man you are a difficult guy i mean it", and ND went out and go. Later Martyn was sad about telling and he want to apologize about it, but ND never come out again for him.

And i'm not going to apologize LOLWink

And BTW Robbie Bashio too to PA Wink

Post Reply Post Reply