Topic ClosedHow did you find Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 11:35

My dad's favorite band since the late 70s has been Rush. One Christmas when I was about 8 or 10 or so, he gave me Rush's 2112. Instant love. Kind of odd, considering it has a 20 minute song, but I couldn't deny how sweet that song was. I have memories of jumping up and down on the furniture in the basement belting out the lyrics, proud that I could remember all of the words to a 20 minute rock song. My dad eventually gave me A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Chronicles and Geddy Lee's solo album (and I totally stole Fly by Night). I listened to them a lot but I don't have much memory of doing so. Following in my dad's steps in taking care of CDs... they got scratched up and I guess I kind of stopped listening to them. 2112 always remained my favorite song though!

Once I got a computer and into downloading music (don't worry, I buy more often now but I may have never gotten into prog if it weren't for such activity) when I was a freshman in high school, I fell back in love with Rush. While listening to Rush one day, one of my online friends suggested I check out Genesis' The Knife and Camel's Lady Fantasy. Did so and loved them. I didn't fall for Genesis as a whole until much later, but Camel and King Crimson soon reached my top 10 lists of favorite bands I made all the time. 

So thanks dad! You helpd me fall in love with the genre you call circus music! Haha!

Edited by Kestrel - November 06 2008 at 11:36
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 11:25
It was so gradual that I can't tell you exactly when. Probably when I heard the Ultimate Yes compilation , it opened with Yours is no disgrace and it blew my mind.Those vocals were out of this world.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 10:34
Originally posted by hawkcwg hawkcwg wrote:

Who really helped you find progressive muic?

Family?
Friend?
Time period?
What Band?
Or Artist?

For me I watched a youtube video of Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater playing drums and was so amazed and blown away and the fact that i had never seen anything like that, that kind of aproach to drums. After watching that i found his band on the internet checked out Dream Theater and Found other amazing prog bands like Porcupine Tree and King Crimson. I think King Crimsons song Courts of the Rising King that really led me to a lot of prog. Then i later found progarchives and was impressed with its archive. then I got into Krautrock after hearing Amon Duul and Cantebury music after hearing Gong and other amazing Cantebury bands.

So what really influenced you?

At first i was listening to Heavy Metal in the radio in  the early 80's. then a Cousin lend me more Heavy Metal albums, like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, then one day somebody said to me that here in México was a "Tianguis"  (a open air market, generally in the street) of records, cassettes and books, so i went and i saw the first cover art of a group called YES, the album in comment are Relayer and i bought... i remember that cost me a fortune but well spend..., that in 1983...Wink

johnq View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:51

A good friend who play drums give me a lot of prog rock bands! Also from PA i find many artists who blows your mind up! Thanx to everybody!

Astrodomine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:24
My father made me listen to Meddle one day, it was the start for me!
Lionheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:18
My cousins got me into prog when I was about 11. Once I hit high school, all the other band kids were either progheads or jazz folks. I stuck with prog, because it rocked harder (and still does)!
Darklord55 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:18

My favorite bands back in the High School days were Yes, King Crimson, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, and a few others from that time period.   After graduating I got into Classical and Jazz and pretty much quit listening to anything rock.  A few years ago I found  PA and was shocked that Prog was still alive.  I started buying based on some of the reviews here. 

I missed out on a lot of 70's prog from bands I never heard of back then.  Plus discovered a bunch of newer bands still doing prog.  I sold a bunch of my classical and jazz discs, mostly obscure composers and the same-o same-o rehashing of jazz standards stuff. 

Needless to say, I reinvested the money  and bought up a plethora of prog form all the genres I took a liking too.  Some of my favorite discoveries in the last three years are Opeth, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Eloy, Dream Theater, The Tangent, Death, Kaipa, and Symphony X to name a few.   I've taking a liking to Black and Death metal too.   And the journey continues.  Cheers!!
hawkcwg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:17
Roundabout by yes was also a big influence and also soft machine. I listened to Anekdoten on the free streaming music on the homepage and that just blew my mind as well.
hawkcwg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:12
[QUOTE=zappaholic]I  My tastes can be summarized as "metal, classic rock and weird sh*t" - and prog just happens to be where the three intersect. 

hahaLOL
hawkcwg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:04
An amazing journey I'm glad you like my post. Smile
hawkcwg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 08:35
Yeah i love Black metal and Death Metal too and i hate most of Progressive metal cause a lot of it just sounds like Dream Theater imitations. Or wierd Power Metal, I usually stick to Heavy Prog, Prog Folk, Krautrock, and Cantebury.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 08:30
Kansas, Live at the Whiskey ("Miracles Out of Nowhere" blew my mind)

And then going to see Kansas during Yes's Masterwork tour.  At that time I thought a six-minute song was long.  During that concert, Yes played "Close to the Edge," "Starship Trooper," "The Gates of Delirium," "Leaves of Green," "Heart of the Sunrise," "Ritual," "I've Seen All Good People," and "Roundabout."  Before that concert, I only knew those last two (and "Owner of a Lonely Heart).  The whole show I kept asking my friends, "When are they going to stop with this one song?"

But the next morning, I had "I get up, I get down" and part of "Starship Trooper" still stuck in my head, so I got on Napster, and became an instant fan, not just of Yes, but of this thing called progressive rock music.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 08:30
Jimi Hendrix and all 70's stuff such as Black Sabbath,Wishbone Ash,Blue Oyster Cult and first of all I was looking for something very different.I remember that The Wall rapidly grew on me when 8.Barry Godber's 21st Century Schizoid Man cover also provoked my interest in it.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 07:40
I can't pinpoint any one incident or album that sparked my interest in prog - I've been into music in general since I was about 10.  After I went through a "metal and little else" phase I started drifting back toward prog in its various forms.  My tastes can be summarized as "metal, classic rock and weird sh*t" - and prog just happens to be where the three intersect.

Edited by zappaholic - November 06 2008 at 07:41
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 07:12
Via early Queen and Jethro Tull
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 05:35
When I was 14 a friend asked me to translate for him a song he realy likes. The song was from an album of his elder brother. So, we went to his place and heared the song few times. It was "Melencholy man" by a band named the moody blues.
I knew that this is the kind of music I am looking for.
omri
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 05:26
I found prog at a very early age, in the shape of RPI, the Italian progressive rock movement of the Seventies. Later, in my teens and early twenties, I got into the British classics, and beefed up my musical education. Then, after a longish stretch of time away from it, I got back into prog in the early 2000s, which led me to discover this site (by a mere chance). The rest, including my upcoming move to the US, is historyWink...
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 05:09
What a great question to ask Hawkcwg. Clap

It's fantastic to read people's discovery of progressive music. I'm not sure if it's been asked before on the forums but even if it has, There are lots of new (and old) folk who have a tale to tell.

Speaking personally, it started with a mate of mine who bought two albums as an 11 year old; Ian Dury And The Blockheads - New Boots And Panties and DSOTM by Pink Floyd. We played them one after the other and then talked about which was better.

We chose New Boots And Panties because it had swearing on it and as 11 year olds, we thought the swearing was very cool indeed. That said, DSOTM had chords on it the made my tummy go all funny and gradually over time I decided that all things considered, Pink Floyd were possibly the better band.

Edited by sigod - November 18 2008 at 06:30
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 04:29
In 1969 at the tender age of 14(yes I am a senior member of the forum Wink) I discovered King Crimson's "In The Court of the Crimson King". I remember going into a local record shop and seeing this LP with such an awesome cover - I asked to listen to it and was played 21st Century Sczhoid Man. It blew me away as I had not heard any music like this before. I fell in love with KC there and then and managed to wangle $4.50 off my parents to buy it. I had already been listening to Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Procul Harem and Pink Floyd among others at about this time and was intrigued by this form of music because of it's complexity and beauty (in most instances). That was a long time ago and since then I have delved into many of prog rock's subgenres. I have an eclectic taste in music but prog rock will always remain one of the most important musical forms for my listening pleasure. 

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

paulindigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 03:56
I discovered prog via radio, around 1978/1979. Back then I was mainly into Bee Gees, 70s pop (Al Stewart, Gerry Rafferty, NIcolette Larsom etc) and some soft rock (Eagles). The first song by a prog band I remember  listening to was Genesis' Many Too Many. Then came King Crimson, other Genesis' songs, Mike Oldfield, Jethro Tull (who I didn't like much at first), Yes and many others. The radio played a huge role in shaping my musical tastes until the 90s, then for some reason it fell off my radar and got replaced  with the net until recently when I discovered a prog broadcasting on a local station. And with it, a pinch of the old magic...Heart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>