Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrevor Rabin prog related?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trevor Rabin prog related?
    Posted: November 22 2008 at 14:23

I know this has been discussed before, but those threads has been closed so I wasn't allowed to post there. This is not really a suggestion since I don't know that much of his solo material - but I'm listening to his Can't Look Away right now and I must say I quite like it! Certainly, there are some prog-ish moments on this album, reminding me of Talk and Union as well as Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell.  

What do you think?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 18:55
I'm familiar with a lot of his stuff and soundtrack work outside of Yes but I have to say IMO he does not quite cut it as prog related more AOR friendly to these ears. Very talented South African however and a great producer too!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 07:01

As I said, I am only familiar with Can't Look Away (and, of course, what he did with Yes). And judging that album on its own merits, I would say it is a prog-ish album, with great guitar work, some slight world music influences, good vocals and lyrics. Indeed, I like this album more than 90125, Big Generator and Talk. But I like Union the most of Rabin's Yes albums!!! Lift Me Up is a great song!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 07:40
I have Wolf, Face to Face and Can't Look Away.  Of those three, I would say that the last one comes closest to any prog-related music.  I have heard his soundtrack work, but only in the actual movies.  Don't have any soundtrack CDs of his.  Don't know whether on the strength of Can't Look Away he should be regarded as PR, but I sure do wish he'd put out another rock album. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 10:35
I believe we can't accept a Prog-ISH artist with only one Prog-ISH album among tons of AOR and soundtracks.

In first place, that's not the priority of a PROG site and second, not enough justification.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply