Topic ClosedObjective review about genres you dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 17:24
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Opinions can be interesting, too. I'd say that I don't want emotions in a review ... at least not if emotions are the basis/motive for writing the review. The motivation should always be to help to reader, to increase their knowledge about the item reviewed.

Yes, God forbid that we should respond to art with emotions! Let's have machines make it and rate it!

See "Art of the Third Reich...." Confused

Sorry -- got a trifle emotional there.Wink

Well. u got me all wrong, but u have your opinion and I mine...hahahahahha What I ment was that a review isn't a tool for the person who writes it, i's to give an image to the reader, if it's something to buy/like or not. Too many personal opinions and too little informative description simply ruins that for the reader, I think. Take it or leave it, That's MY opinion

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 17:26

Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

I rather have information than opinions in a review! Opinions are for those who wants to shine themselfs when writing, information is for those who puts the reader first!

How can we respond to art without involving opinion?Confused

"This painting is 6' by 8.' It was done with oils, on canvas. There is a preponderance of blue and red. The subject is a vase of mixed flowers. The artist was 42 when he painted it. He lived in Paris."

Rivetting!Pinch

Or: "The band has four members. They are named Peter, Paul, Steve and Bob, and they play guitars, bass, drums and keyboards, respectively. The CD has a photo of a red car on the cover. The usual time signature is 4/4."

Gripping, and so... informative! Dead

As soon as I tell you who they "sound like," or attempt to categorize the music, or even tell you if I like it, I am veering into the verboten opinion territory.Ermm

Art appeals (mainly) to the emotions, not the intellect, and each of us responds in our unique way, based upon all the factors that make one an individual.Stern Smile

That's MY opinion....Wink

Whoops -- sorry!Embarrassed

Sorry, It was ment to be a respond to THIS post

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 17:46

Opinions can be interesting, too. I'd say that I don't want emotions in a review ... at least not if emotions are the basis/motive for writing the review. The motivation should always be to help to reader, to increase their knowledge about the item reviewed.

Yes, God forbid that we should respond to art with emotions! Let's have machines make it and rate it!

See "Art of the Third Reich...." Confused

Sorry -- got a trifle emotional there.Wink

Well. u got me all wrong, but u have your opinion and I mine...hahahahahha What I ment was that a review isn't a tool for the person who writes it, i's to give an image to the reader, if it's something to buy/like or not. Too many personal opinions and too little informative description simply ruins that for the reader, I think. Take it or leave it, That's MY opinion

Ok -- I can go along with that. Thumbs UpThanks for explaining!Smile

I see what you mean, and I use exaggeration to (forcefully) make my point -- not to insult you.

Glad you didn't take it personally -- interesting subject!

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
kingofbizzare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 21:51
Personally, I find reviews by people who hate/know nothing about the genre/album/artist to be hilarious. I look on amazon.com at the lowest reviews every once in a while for a good laugh. My favorite one is the first one here.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 22:02

3 of 24 people found the following review helpful:

'The sorcerer's secrets' is a bad,bad album, July 19, 2004
A Kid's Review
I have never liked harry potter books but this music I got 'the sorcerer's secrets' is REALLY horrible. It sounds like someone has put a gallon of manure on the disks so muffled is the sounds and also REALLY (...) OREFUL, YES SO BAD.

I hope the sorcerer will repent and shut up cuz his secrets are VERY BAD AND UGLY SOUNDS.

YUK!

This is fun, I wish i had the talent to write like this
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 22:15

It's easy for me, when I want to have an idea about a band or album I don't know, I try read:

1. Reviews by people who love the album,relatively objective  reviews and some others from people who hates the album: Reading all, I make an idea about the great highlights only fans see, the good and high points an objective reviewer can see and the flaws that only a hater can see.
  2. Opinions and facts: I also need  to know the obvious influences and technical facts, but the negative or posituive impact that an album produces in the listener is also important for me.
  3. Emotions: That's one of the most important part of a review, if the music or painting or any form of art doesn't prodice emotions, then it's not art.

So reading as many reviews as possible and tryng to evaluate the position and knowledge of the reviewer will give me a relatively accurate idea of the album.

Iván

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 22:19

Ok -- I can go along with that. Thumbs UpThanks for explaining!Smile

I see what you mean, and I use exaggeration to (forcefully) make my point -- not to insult you.

Glad you didn't take it personally -- interesting subject!

No problems, at least u had me explaining correctly, which I sometimes not do

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 06:13

There's no point in someone who doesn't listen to metal reviewing a metal album, unless (as in the case of Opeth), fans of the band are claiming that the band/album should appeal to people who don't normally listen to the genre.

If I read about a band then they have to have something about them that really stands out to persuade me to give them a listen. If a band claims to be innovative, persuades me to listen to them, and then I find it's not at all, then I'd write a poor review (someday..!). If, however, when reading about them I see nothing to persuade me to listen (and if I disliked metal, them being metal would quite possibly instantly dissuade me), then I'd just ignore them.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 16:07

Thanks for all your replies so far ... I think we can all agree that good reviews will always contain facts, opinions and emotions. And even if the review is 95% emotive, it can still be very entertaining, although it tells little about the item reviewed. Maybe the best advice is to try to be sure that you know sufficient similar artists before writing a review. And to give the album a few spins AND enough time to grow on you

TBWART View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 16:10

I rather have information than opinions in a review! Opinions are for those who wants to shine themselfs when writing, information is for those who puts the reader first!

"This painting is 6' by 8.' It was done with oils, on canvas. There is a preponderance of blue and red. The subject is a vase of mixed flowers. The artist was 42 when he painted it. He lived in Paris."

Rivetting!Pinch

Or: "The band has four members. They are named Peter, Paul, Steve and Bob, and they play guitars, bass, drums and keyboards, respectively. The CD has a photo of a red car on the cover. The usual time signature is 4/4."

As soon as I tell you who they "sound like," or attempt to categorize the music, or even tell you if I like it, I am veering into the verboten opinion territory.Ermm

Art appeals (mainly) to the emotions, not the intellect, and each of us responds in our unique way, based upon all the factors that make one an individual.Stern Smile

couldn't be more true

''progression is trying to eliminate boundries''
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 16:50
Originally posted by TBWART TBWART wrote:

Rivetting!Pinch

couldn't be more true

Excuse me, my dear overall knowing gentleman!!! Please read the rest of our debate!! We turned up in having the same opinion, so don't make a thing out of nothing!! Ok????

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 07:29

Hello very knowledgeable debaters

My question to you all is why would you review an album from a genre you did not like? 

I would do such a review for a great deal of money or under threat of mutilation or death!

Sounds extreme and emotional, I know. I cannot see that such a review would be objective and I would question the subjectiveness - Is the review a truthful observation by the reviewer or is that person only writing what he wants the readers to see/hear?

Its my opinion that some of the so called worse reviews are totally objective and are entirely useless to the reader, who is after all, are looking for some hard facts as well as to get an idea as to whether the album excited or dulled the senses of the reviewer.

I cannot believe that anyone would willingly review something they disliked intently - for me it would be rap or death metal.

I welcome your comments.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 10:44
Ermm^ I (and others) have said it all before. Can anyone find (and post) that old thread about this very subject, please?Smile
He chortled in his joy.
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 10:46
Velvetclown kicks Peter in the Shin, just for fun. 
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 15:28

Examples:

- Someone who doesn't like Death Metal reviews Opeth
- A "Metal Head" reviews 70s King Crimson

i agree with reviewers should stick to the genres they like for them most part

but i just have to say that your example are dead wrong

many Metalheads look down on Opeth, i would imagine Death metalheads especially

and there are a whole helluvalot of metalheads that love Crimson

no offence, but you using those examples is like giving a review of a genre you dislike

Aaron

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 04:23
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

Examples:

- Someone who doesn't like Death Metal reviews Opeth
- A "Metal Head" reviews 70s King Crimson

i agree with reviewers should stick to the genres they like for them most part

but i just have to say that your example are dead wrong

many Metalheads look down on Opeth, i would imagine Death metalheads especially

I was thinking of Death Metal as far as the vocals are concerned. Being an Opeth fan, I know that they are difficult to categorize, so "Death Metal" describes them as good or bad as "Progressive Metal". But you're right, I should have said: "Someone who doesn't like Death Metal vocals reviews Opeth"

and there are a whole helluvalot of metalheads that love Crimson

Are you sure? I don't think that the average Iron Maiden fan has too many King Crimson albumsin his/her archive

no offence, but you using those examples is like giving a review of a genre you dislike

Aaron

I like Death Metal, Progressive Metal, True Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Rock, ... what did I say that makes you think I don't like any of these artists?
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 08:57

I think it's possible to write reviews with the intention of being objective if you appreciate what the artist is trying to achieve.

At least, that's what I try to do in my reviews. It's an attempt to blend what I enjoy about analysing music in technical depth with the non-technical "touchy-feely" likes and dislikes; e.g. I dislike Dream Theater's music on "Images and Words", but can't help being impressed by the precision virtuosity.

I've reviewed some of my favourites, but those tend to be my least objective reviews, as I "get off" on the subject matter. If a piece of music excites me, then I feel the need to share that excitement in the hope that others will feel the same thing. At the same time, I do try to get at the technical reasons behind my liking for the piece - no matter how tenuous!

When I review any album - even albums I dislike, I focus on the music. What is happening in the music that brings about the effects the band are seeking to portray? Do I understand what they're trying to do, even if I don't like it? What exactly are the band doing - what resources are they using (musical styles, instrumentation, etc.), who do they remind me of, what clever technical devices are they using - anything that's interesting in the construction of the music itself. Then I try to put that into more digestible English...

Historical tid-bits are always fascinating - and DJPanurge's fantastic background on the story behind "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" is exactly the sort of stuff I like to read in other's reviews.

I think my review of ELP's debut album strikes a reasonable balance between objectivity and subjectivity - I point out the standout facets of the music that I do and don't like and, even though I dislike the album on the whole, I still awarded it 4 stars - which is appropriate for a prog album that should be in every proggers collection!

In short, I think it's possible to admire what a band does even if it doesn't tickle the musical tastebuds - but there's no point reveiwing an album if all you're going to do is go in with all guns blazing against something you hate.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 15:05

Ermm^ I (and others) have said it all before. Can anyone find (and post) that old thread about this very subject, please?Smile

Here's one Pierre, I only remember it becuase I started that one!Embarrassed I think there are others though.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1080

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 18:17
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Here's one Pierre, I only remember it becuase I started that one!Embarrassed I think there are others though.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1080

SmileThanks Easy, you techno-wiz, you -- you're a peach!Wink

ErmmThat's one -- but not the one I was thinking of. I know that I took part, and I think that it may have been in the Collaborator's forum, after some of my fellow reviewers took issue with my (unflattering) Dream Theater review. I don't know how to post old threads like that, ....Embarrassed

He chortled in his joy.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 14:46
PORCUPINE TREE Signify progressive rock album and reviews PORCUPINE TREE - Signify (1996)
Review by rick petersen @ 2:37:20 AM EST, 4/26/2005
2 stars  —   I was at a used CD store earlier today and saw this, which reviewers here seem to rate as one of PT's best. I didn't have time to listen to any track in its entirety, so I probably shouldn't try to review the album. However, here's what I gleaned: The musicians are all very good, and the production values are quite good. My problems? Lacking in personality and originality. Wilson is a competent vocalist, but the nicest thing I can say about his vocal style is that it doesn't annoy me. His lyrics (and guitar style, for that matter) are unmemorable, and his compositions contain chord progressions that I've heard countless times. Like most (all?) modern-day bands with prog tendencies, these guys go to great lengths to fit in, rather than stand apart. After awhile, I started to play "who are they imitating now?" each time I skipped to the next track. I'm going to listen to some other PT albums before I dismiss them entirely, of course. After all, this one's from 1996. They're bound to be doing some other things by now.
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
Rick Petersen writes some excellent reviews, but I must take him to task on this one (are you there Rick?) Rick's views and opinions are fine, and well presented BUT you cannot objectively review any album, and especially a prog album after one listen. Worse still after one listen to a bit of each track.  Confused

Why post the review at all? There are already plenty of Porcupine Tree reviews on the site, why not wait till you've heard the album in full a few times at least Rick. (Sorry to single you out, as I say, you do write good reviews as a rule!)

More generally, why are people so keen to psot reviews of new albums so quickly. Prog demands that you get to know an album by hearing it several times before forming an opinion. To look at the number of reviews on the "Deadwing" page, you'd think the album had been out for years.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>