Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 14:51

Try this one Pete:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3590

To post a thread link Peter, all you need to do is highlight the address of the page in the address line at the top, press CTRL+C together to copy it, then paste it into the reply screen using CTRL+V. I'll pop round and show you, put the kettle on...

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 22:50
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Ermm^ I (and others) have said it all before. Can anyone find (and post) that old thread about this very subject, please?Smile

Here's one Pierre, I only remember it becuase I started that one!Embarrassed I think there are others though.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1080

I read that post in the forum and you ask some very interesting questions, Easy Livin.

Knowledge of the genre that is being reviewed is a distinct advantage. As I hinted in my earlier post, I would not review work from a genre I was not entirely familiar with or the music of which I disliked. My writing style would reflect that...not quite guns blazing but almost certainly "short, sharp and too the point".

That does not mean I am not up for a challenge. If some one handed me an Opeth album for review - I would do so - but it would probably require many listens and it would be a review done non-hastily and with thought.

I agree that reviews of albums that have been released the day before can not be subjective. Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing" is a great example of many reviews done before the dust has settled.

Like good wine, an album matures with age or in this instance with repeated listenings. Then one would hope to be able to write a balanced review both subjectively and objectively.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 00:49

Try this one Pete:

To post a thread link Peter, all you need to do is highlight the address of the page in the address line at the top, press CTRL+C together to copy it, then paste it into the reply screen using CTRL+V. I'll pop round and show you, put the kettle on...

Big smile I'd really like that, Ease -- you'd be welcome at my digs any day, friend!

BTW, thanks again, but that wasn't the thread either....Confused

Oh well!Smile

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 04:01

you cannot objectively review any album, and especially a prog album after one listen. Worse still after one listen to a bit of each track.  Confused
More generally, why are people so keen to psot reviews of new albums so quickly. Prog demands that you get to know an album by hearing it several times before forming an opinion. To look at the number of reviews on the "Deadwing" page, you'd think the album had been out for years.

Absolutely. Especcially if you DON'T like an album on first listen, any experienced music fan (not just reviewers) should know from personal experience that some music just takes some time getting used to.

Regarding Deadwing: I don't think that you have to listen to an album for years in order to write a competent review. But it definitely takes several spins (I'm talking about listening to the album as a whole). One particular review complained about the track "Shallow" being too commercial and boring ... I think it contains some beautiful parts, and would rather call that review "shallow".
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 14:56

OK Peter, I think I found it this time, it was that wicked James Lee who cited your review.LOL

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1037

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 15:14

OK Peter, I think I found it this time, it was that wicked James Lee who cited your review.LOL 

Hoo-rah for Cheesy Oblivion!Clap

That was the one -- third time's the charm, EL....Thumbs Up

I admire your tenacity -- now go out and get a life, mate! Wink

PS: The kettle boiled dry, and nearly burned the house down Ouch(plus, I had to drink all the ale, before it spoiled)!TongueWacko

Where were you? Trying to clear yer kilt contents through customs? Confused

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 17:02

A life?Confused, Not a chance!

Anyway, see I got on the bus OK, but the driver said my ticket wouldn't get me to Canada...Cry Do you realise how far away you live!?Big smile

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 17:13

That was a good read, good threads do excist

Of course these threads where from a time I wasn't on the forum to dumb it down a little.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 20:05

Yeah, don't you just hate those little know-it-all pr1cks who show up out of nowhere with their snotty attitudes? I know I do.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 20:15
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

Yeah, don't you just hate those little know-it-all pr1cks who show up out of nowhere with their snotty attitudes? I know I do.

It was a well-articulated/reasoned post which led to a refreshingly(compared to current standards) mature and intelligent thread.Clap

I might post a load of sh*t most of the time,but it is because there is nothing of interest to get my teeth into....Confused

Edited by Reed Lover

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 12:12
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

My theory is that one cannot write an objective review about music from a genre that he/she doesn't like. The review is almost always negative, blaming the artist(s) for things that most artists of the genre would do in the same way. Such reviews are of no help for people who already like other artists of the genre, and want to find similar music of good quality.

Examples:

- Someone who doesn't like Death Metal reviews Opeth- A "Metal Head" reviews 70s King Crimson

What do you think about such reviews? They are usually recognizable by statments like "I don't like Metal, but ..." or "Normally I don't listen to XYZ ...".

OK, I'm kinda guilty of doing this to old albums, because I tend to dislike the sound quality problems and some of the playing/production techniques.

But, when I do so, I try not to let the particular problems I have "infect" the entire album. I highlight the good where I hear it, and I also try to explain very carefully what perspective I'm coming from, so that people can judge the worth of my opinion for themselves (even if that means deciding they like something because I don't).

One example that comes to mind is my review of Rush's 2112, to which I gave 3 stars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123