Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Petrucci iz Da Shiz.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Petrucci iz Da Shiz.
    Posted: December 24 2008 at 14:08
OK! So. A little while back I was learning how to "play like John Petrucci" out of his Wild Stringdom book...and there's some things that I get, and some things that I try asking my dad what it means and he's even like, "wtf." lol

Petrucci, like most guitarists into prog rock, loves the technicality of the music. Unlike most guitarists, Johnny loves playing technically- but he makes it sound right. Sometimes, maybe there's a few riffs in a song where he's like, "Ehh, I'm bored." and he just throws it in because it fits. Hey, I don't blame him, I'd do the exact same thing probably. Only not as godly. Haha ^_~

OK, well I'm bored of this.
For the <3 of John Petrucci!
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 14:48

As I saw in someone's signature once:

Gilmour gets more emotion out of a single note bend than Petrucci does in a whole guitar solo.

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 15:13
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 16:01

i notice that with alot of vituoso guitarists. They're really good, but that's the only thing that really keeps your attention is that fact that they're awesome players, it's hard to find ones that can actually play an interesting solo, without it being just technical.

That's way Zappa is awesome. Not only are his solo interesting, but they're technical as well.

Champion of the prog-rock guitar solo?

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 19:20
why settle for petrucci when you can listen to his idol, Steve Morse, 5 time winner in a row of the guitarist of the year, not allowed in the contest anymore
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 20:29
Because John Petrucci is different from Steve Morse and vice versa.

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 20:31
Um....This thread should have been locked instead of moved. That's all I have to say.

oh ps fred frith 4 lyfe!!!
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 21:34
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

why settle for petrucci when you can listen to his idol, Steve Morse, 5 time winner in a row of the guitarist of the year, not allowed in the contest anymore
This.
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 22:52
Nice Blago signature hahahha
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 22:53
Depends on what you mean by Da Shiz. What i look for in a guitarist is emotion, composition, and originality. Technicality is interesting for the OMG WTF effect on a youtube video, but in a song it is only a means to an end, not something to be desired itself.

Petrucci wouldn't crack my top 20 guitarists, my top 200 if we include only current material.

What I'm trying to say is listen to some Fripp/Frith.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 23:45
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

As I saw in someone's signature once:

Gilmour gets more emotion out of a single note bend than Petrucci does in a whole guitar solo.

Good call!  And "Comfortably Numb" is the reason why...
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 03:42
This what appeared to be an appreciation thread failed as soon as it got it's second post in hereThumbs Down
Seriously guys, he obviously hasn't made this thread for people to come in and bash Petrucci, show the OP some respect.

Edited by HughesJB4 - December 25 2008 at 03:43
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 03:50
Why compare two different guitar styles- Gilmour has a very distinctive- almost human voice quality to his soloing. But don't just say Petrucci is only technical- that just seems to show that all the negative posters here have never actually listened to dream theater. The spirit carries on brought spontaneous tears to my eyes, the first time I heard it, and that was a live recording. Gilmour has never done that to me.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 03:53
The Spirit Carries On guitar solo is among the best solos in Petrucci's career, and one of the better solos in prog too.
Memorable without being over the top, and brings a tear to my eye each time.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 04:08
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Seriously guys, he obviously hasn't made this thread for people to come in and bash Petrucci, show the OP some respect.
Yes, but it's also hard to tell what he did make it for. ;-)

I always thought Comfortably Numb was super overrated, especially compared to everything else Gilmour did before that.

Oh wait, on topic (I'm just going to guess what the topic is?). I kind of liked LTE 2, but I haven't listened to it in forever because I didn't like it that much.

Edited by Henry Plainview - December 25 2008 at 04:09
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Djm912 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 08:31
I don't understand why every guitarist that happens to be in a heavier band that might play a solo that may have a few more notes always gets called an Malmsteen-esque automaton.

As if The Spirit Carries on and Repetance don't exist at all.......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 10:01
Originally posted by cobb2 cobb2 wrote:

Why compare two different guitar styles- Gilmour has a very distinctive- almost human voice quality to his soloing. But don't just say Petrucci is only technical- that just seems to show that all the negative posters here have never actually listened to dream theater. The spirit carries on brought spontaneous tears to my eyes, the first time I heard it, and that was a live recording. Gilmour has never done that to me.

Yes I've obviously never listened to Dream Theater, because if I had there's no way I could have a negative opinion of any aspect of the band. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 10:13
Also his solo in Voices is much more emotional than anything he ever did before or after.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 10:35
Originally posted by PetrucciPal PetrucciPal wrote:

OK! So. A little while back I was learning how to "play like John Petrucci" out of his Wild Stringdom book...and there's some things that I get, and some things that I try asking my dad what it means and he's even like, "wtf." lol

Petrucci, like most guitarists into prog rock, loves the technicality of the music. Unlike most guitarists, Johnny loves playing technically- but he makes it sound right. Sometimes, maybe there's a few riffs in a song where he's like, "Ehh, I'm bored." and he just throws it in because it fits. Hey, I don't blame him, I'd do the exact same thing probably. Only not as godly. Haha ^_~

OK, well I'm bored of this.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with this. If music isx actual art (which I happen to believe that it is) then all of the ingrediants must be there to serve the piece, and not show off the artists's abilities. That's just pompous and self-indlugent.

And as for making the technical playing sound 'right' as you say, well . . . You've obviousely been listening to a very different Dream Theater than I have.

Don't get me wrong, Petrucci's great, but he isn't a very good melody maker. He's more of a sports player. He looks at his instrument like it's a way to train agility and endurance, when he should be looking at it as a tool for getting what is in your soul musically out into the world. Hell, even when he covers Gilmour he can't resists butchering the solos all to hell by playing overly technical variations. Wtahc DT's DSotM to see what I mean. The man cannot play slow for very long at all.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 10:37
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Also his solo in Voices is much more emotional than anything he ever did before or after.

Clap++++++++++!

And guess what? That was the only solo John improvised in the studio. He actually played what he felt at the time. Proof that playing what you feel is much better than playing what looks technically adept on paper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>