Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Petrucci iz Da Shiz.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Petrucci iz Da Shiz.
    Posted: June 07 2009 at 17:10
Wait, what the hell?
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2009 at 15:34
The only dream theater song id go out of my way to listen to, meaning the only one id listen to that didnt come up on a random iTunes shuffle, would be Hells Kitchen. tasteful, shredly at times, just a good song with a very memorable melody. mission accomplished. not much else tickles my fancey however. . .
doneitall99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2009 at 05:04
Hollow Years solo - Live at Budokhan

Argument over
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 21:35
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

I only can really appreciate one of his solos: the solo at the climax of Voices. Not only his greatest solo, but a world class solo as well I can safely say. I'm going to keep further opinions to myself in fear of upsetting the DT fanboys

YES.

I wonder if that's it. When it came to DT I started with Train of Thought and then moved on to 6DOIT, and I thought both were okay. But Awake came next, and while I'd thought of Petrucci as an awesome guitarist, I was absolutely blown away by Voices. To me Voices is a bit like Firth of Fifth in the sense that the rest of the album could have been euro-pop dance beats and I STILL would rank it my favourite album just because of the presence of the one song.

Anyway, back on topic, Voices (and then a couple choice cuts off IAW) absolutely floored me and I could never really back into his later guitaring as much. I'd opened the Pandora's Box - I'd heard exactly what Petrucci is capable of and how much better it is than what he's been doing recently. I could never go back.

As I've said, there is nothing inherently wrong with shred. But when it's all speed all the time, like on ToT... That's just laziness. It's saying "I've honed my chops to an unbelievable level so I'll just go as fast as I can on every solo and not put any effort or creativity into it." I mean some of his solos on ToT are good, but they sound the exact same as all his other solos on ToT, and really, all his other solos on 6DOIT (never understood the high praise for that album. The second disc in particular was disappointing) and while I haven't heard it yet, presumably all his other solos on Octavarium as well.
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 00:28
I think the only player in DT who is the shiz is Kevin Moore. Too bad he is not in DT now
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 22:41
Thanks, will get to his later albums. End of Hackett appreciation sub- thread! Big smile
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 22:35
^Although it's started to veer pretty off topic, I will have to say, I think Steve Hackett continued to make some fantastic music as a solo artist after Spectral Mornings, so definitely check out his later work.
I actually don't even listen to Genesis anymore to be honest, but I still listen to solo Hackett stuff at least, once a week, if not more.
There is some stuff from his post 2000 releases that have actually pretty face melting technical stuff, but still within the boundaries of tasteful IMO.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 22:30
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Rogerthat, for the record, Steve Hackett does do right hand tapping and 3 note per string legato stuff, so technically, he does actually shred. Okay, fair enough, he didn't do that stuff while in Genesis really, but in his solo records, he does some shed stuff.
It's more a question of whether you find his style enjoyable or not really.
Personally, I think Steve Hackett incorporates shred technique into his solos very tastefully, an opinion I'm sure you share.
I tend to find his playing pretty packed with emotion too and he's definitely one of the better lead players in rock.

Yeah, I know, I meant shredding more in a relative sense, it's not face-melting shredding we are talking about when it's Hackett  -he has done tapping on Dancing With The Moonlit Knight by the way and a few other Genesis songs, I know of this song for sure because I have seen him use tapping in the video of this song. And there is the incredibly elegant use of tapping in Shadow of the Hierophant which makes for  a nice contrast with the most popular example of tapping in rock - Eruption, which came out about three years later. My experience of Hackett's solo records stops at Spectral Mornings, so I don't know if he used shredding in the more conventional, furious sense in later albums, knowing what little I do of the man, I doubt it.  It would not do for Hackett to burn the axe when he can caress it as lovingly as he can. Wink  Anyway, as I said, I can well understand that people would not find his style exciting enough because they might look for different things from electric guitar, it's all down to one's tastes.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 22:26
^Yeah, I personally don't understand why SFAM is hailed as the best DT album ever either.
Images and Words is just on another level IMO.
Stream of Consciousness is still my favorite DT instrumental.
I remember when I heard Stream of Consciousness for the first time, back in late 2006.
It was such an intense and beautiful experience, I listened to it on repeat so many times.

Edited by HughesJB4 - January 02 2009 at 22:27
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 22:23
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Dream Theater isn't my favorite band, but Scenes from a Memory alone shows that both Dream Theater and Petrucci can be heavily accomplished in fields of technicality AND emotion. No metal album can top that, IMO. The powerful combination of virtuosity, emotion, and songwriting is what makes Dream Theater the most representative progressive metal band. When they're on the top of their game, they deserve that title. When they're not, we get Falling into Infinity.

Nonetheless, SFAM and Six Degrees are worth owning alone just for sheer brilliance (followed by Images and Words and Awake).

Be hating on Dream Theater if you want, but I'd stand alone if I had to on my praise for their musicianship and accomplishments. Petrucci isn't my favorite guitarist, but he hardly gets the respect he deserves around these parts; and I'm glad this appreciation thread was created. Clap

You don't have to agree with me, but that's my two cents. If Scenes from a Memory doesn't move you emotionally by the time you're done listening to it, then I find that hard to understand.

Petrucci gets a lot of respect at this forum board.
You start a thread, asking who likes Petrucci, and I guarantee you'll get many takers.
And oh, I can perfectly understand why someone might not be moved by SFAM.
They could hate DT for a start.........

Well I just got SFAM this past week (I'm still working on my DT collection) and I've listened to it about 3 times and I still don't see what the whole fuss is about. LOL

Maybe a couple more times will help.

I think my favorite Petrucci solos are as follows:

1. Stream of Consciousness
2. Hell's Kitchen
3. Under a Glass Moon

They all utilize the shred technique, and IMO they are all extremely well written. I enjoy well written solos, as opposed to oppurtunities to throw a few shred phrases together and call it a solo.

Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 22:22
Wow, a Petrucci thread that didn't get beaten into the ground by trolls by page two? This place has definitely undergone changes as of late. I'm impressed. And utterly appalled.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 22:16
Rogerthat, for the record, Steve Hackett does do right hand tapping and 3 note per string legato stuff, so technically, he does actually shred. Okay, fair enough, he didn't do that stuff while in Genesis really, but in his solo records, he does some shed stuff.
It's more a question of whether you find his style enjoyable or not really.
Personally, I think Steve Hackett incorporates shred technique into his solos very tastefully, an opinion I'm sure you share.
I tend to find his playing pretty packed with emotion too and he's definitely one of the better lead players in rock.

But yeah, to keep it on topic, Petrucci is not bad:P
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 22:10
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Dream Theater isn't my favorite band, but Scenes from a Memory alone shows that both Dream Theater and Petrucci can be heavily accomplished in fields of technicality AND emotion. No metal album can top that, IMO. The powerful combination of virtuosity, emotion, and songwriting is what makes Dream Theater the most representative progressive metal band. When they're on the top of their game, they deserve that title. When they're not, we get Falling into Infinity.

Nonetheless, SFAM and Six Degrees are worth owning alone just for sheer brilliance (followed by Images and Words and Awake).

Be hating on Dream Theater if you want, but I'd stand alone if I had to on my praise for their musicianship and accomplishments. Petrucci isn't my favorite guitarist, but he hardly gets the respect he deserves around these parts; and I'm glad this appreciation thread was created. Clap

You don't have to agree with me, but that's my two cents. If Scenes from a Memory doesn't move you emotionally by the time you're done listening to it, then I find that hard to understand.

Petrucci gets a lot of respect at this forum board.
You start a thread, asking who likes Petrucci, and I guarantee you'll get many takers.
And oh, I can perfectly understand why someone might not be moved by SFAM.
They could hate DT for a start.........
PetrucciPal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 17:03
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by PetrucciPal PetrucciPal wrote:

Yes. lol no actually, liking the Train of Thought album is a requirement. If you don't, then you're not a real Dream Theater fan. lol jk XD
Well I agree that you're not a Dream Theater fan if you don't like it, but why would I want to be a Dream Theater fan? :P

I was asking in reference to being on this website.

Because Dream Theater
is
AMAZING. ^_^
For the <3 of John Petrucci!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 03:24

Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

The one good thing Petrucci's music has done for me is that it got me out of shred and made me tired of the Dream Theater writing-style. Now I can appreciate concise songs and emotions so much more!

But Dream Theater's FULL of emotion- I don't understand why people don't think they are. Ever heard Hollow Years? Just Let Me Breathe? Even Repentance contains a certain amount of feeling. Petrucci doesn't shred on some songs....but even when he does, it just makes the song better =)

But full of emotion in relation to what? I am sure you are comparing Petrucci with some other guitarists and not just talking about emotion in an absolute sense, because in an absolute sense, all music is emotional, how emotional is as the listener perceives.  Now, have you heard Steve Hackett's work with Genesis or his solo albums because I cannot find anything as emotional as Spectral Mornings (song) or Shadow of the Hierophant in Petrucci's solos. Even what looks superficially like a typical upbeat rock solo in Every Day, Hackett invests so much emotion into his every note, that it ends up becoming astonishingly memorable.  If you say Hackett doesn't shred and so you don't like his style, there you are. People look for different things from the same artists. 
Fieldofsorrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 02:14
I completely agree with MovingPictures07. Scenes From A Memory is fantastically well paced, with high emotion throughout the entire album, with each song providing its own flavour to this impossibly complex yet elaborate album. And that is why I regard Petrucci first and foremost as a songwriter.
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 20:06

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 17:02
I only can really appreciate one of his solos: the solo at the climax of Voices. Not only his greatest solo, but a world class solo as well I can safely say. I'm going to keep further opinions to myself in fear of upsetting the DT fanboys
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 15:44

lol it's...interesting. XD

See , there is life beyond shredding!LOL

Edited by crimson87 - December 30 2008 at 15:45
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 15:35

Yes. lol no actually, liking the Train of Thought album is a requirement. If you don't, then you're not a real Dream Theater fan. lol jk XD
Well I agree that you're not a Dream Theater fan if you don't like it, but why would I want to be a Dream Theater fan? :P

I was asking in reference to being on this website.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>