Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnitopia - The Garden - CD Set of 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unitopia - The Garden - CD Set of 2008
    Posted: December 25 2008 at 10:08

Unitopia – The Garden – Review

UNITOPIA - (yu-nih-to-pi-E): meaning living together as one in a place of ideal perfection especially in law, government and social conditions.

“You may say that I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one…”

How many bands these days make double albums? Only the Maestro, Arjen Luccasen does it consistently!

How many make one in their sophomore effort? I can’t remember one… Until now.

But why take out all of the best china…unless you know that you have even more epics in the works. Why shoot for the top of one of prog’s highest peaks (Supper’s Ready)…when you are just getting started?

Lots of questions…and here are the answers…

One Day – One day everyone will hear this CD set! “I hope that all those that are dear to me, know of all that wasn’t clear to me…one day.” Very nice start to the journey.

The Garden – I have been waiting a very long time for someone to find the most important part of Supper’s Ready. It’s the ending, not Willow Farm or the other bits. It’s the new beginning, written in the ending of the song. This band has captured the essence here, “Free… Never alone…, turn my face to the rising sun.  Joyful tears, no more fears, and my mind is finally clear. Ooh, it’s good to be back home.” A whopping, over 22 minute quantum leap!

Angeliqua – This band’s Kaleigh! The one that got away! Great guitar work, drums, rhythm, maracas, and a repeating theme throughout this CD set…the lyrics, just brilliant!

Here I Am – Some of us have been looking and waiting a long time for someone to carry on the traditional theme of Mr. Gabriel. Welcome Mr. Trueack, the stage is yours! “Hoping, this precious gift will last!”

Amelia’s Dream/I Wish I Could Fly – I am not a big fan of sampled voice clips interlaced with the music. But this band does it effectively here, choosing a female hero to capture the historic nature of flight. The song captures the feeling more effectively IMHO than many of the Pink Floyd versions. “Over the mountain tops. Over the ocean, spray on your wings. You flew like the eagle so wild and free.”

Inside the PowerYes, there is so much power on this album. The drums, really bring out that power. Having someone like Mr. Ruggiero, who has recorded in the rare air of Abbey roads, cannot hurt! Then there are those incredible lyrics: “Inside the power, inside of me. Rushing deeper than the deep blue sea. I can know what it truly means to be taken higher than the sky. Higher than the sky.”

Wow! That’s CD 1 and you are wondering if you will ever have enough time to enjoy all of it. But wait, there is more…

Journey’s Friend – This masterpiece clocks in at 16:30. One epic is usually all you get, even with the best bands. This one is still giving the title track a run for its money for me. Part IV, The Main Attraction and Part V, the Path are especially powerful to me. I see some similarities to some of my favorite prog songs of all time, here. Maybe the goal was to conquer allot of ground in a hurry. If so, mission accomplished!

Give and Take – This song is ready for prime time! The beautiful orchestrated opening of this song took me away, immediately. One of the best on the set, besides the epics of course. Lyrics are great, but the music makes this one special. “Our world was being torn apart, I was in two minds. Everything was going wrong, time to believe. And could we find a way out of this mess we’re in?”

When I’m Down - I know the first song I will run for when things are not going my way in the future. This song has one purpose and thank you for it. “When I’m down, down can I call on you? When I’m down, down can you help me through?” Oh yeah, and then there is the Tony Banks- like keyboards….wow!

This Life – Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics…the mantra of good music! “This Life. Our Life. Make it what you desire! This Life, Our Life. It’s a gateway to the other side.” Wow!

Love Never Ends – Those strings and that acoustic guitar. Your favorite lady will love this one. Wonderful duet. “Eyes shining like the sunlight with that smile she sends to me. She is my future, and my friend, we are ever meant to be.”

So Far Away – Beautiful instrumental track to follow up the love song. That piano and orchestra…yeah Days of Future Passed revisited.

Don’t Give Up Love – The instrumental blends into this powerful ELO, One Summer Dream - sounding homage to the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson. The title says it all!

321 – A wonderful tribute to the miners in Australia trapped for 321 hours. The band’s involvement with that incident and its survivors is worth a listen and a read.

Vocals, lyrics, very powerful percussion, keys, orchestras and more. Hard to find anything missing here. When you put this much into an album, the future is very, very bright! But what a mountain to try to surpass! I have a good feeling they already have that planned out….

Grabbing for the brass ring in your sophomore attempt! Now that takes guts! It should be rewarded!

Australia is definitely on the grand map of prog with this CD set!

Wonderful to be at the start of something new! Waiting and listening to watch the story unfold!

(Instrumental)

(Instrumental)

Edited by Foxtrottresspass - December 25 2008 at 23:46
"I hope that all those that are dear to me, know of all that wasn't clear to me.....one day!

Unitopia
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 16:52
I agree
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 19:06
I don't
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 13:22
you don`t what?? agree that it is a nice album or were just bored and needed to troll
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 13:32
I don't agree that it's the best album of '08. But I haven't yet posted my review so I guess it looks like I'm just in here to annoy you folks, doesn't it?

A very good album that's a touch overambitious with it's length and some of the tracks. There's some "skippers" and some real gems that make for an unbalanced act that's none the less still enjoyable. A touch retro, even for guys like me that love retro while at the same time straying a bit too far into AOR territories to make the darker and more powerful songs like 321 and Journey's Friend stand out dramatically as they should/. Comes too close to sounding like Yes's The Ladder at times - although if you enojoyed that album there's no reason why you won't enjoy this one. The lengier tracks like the title cut and the opener for the second disc definitely oveshadow some of the other tunes which come off as far too "lighthearted", but I've already touched on that. The thematical elements wander all over the map which makes it hard to follow on a conceptual level (even though it's not a concept album it can still be a little less "schizophrenic") but they're a talented band which still needs to learn how to make the most of their 9-person sound.

better?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 13:37
good ...glad you clarified......and no, i don`t agree it is the album of the year, what i do think they belong on the site,  something you said you would take care of which you have not done, I do not find you annoying and actually think you are one of the better reviewers on the site, just wish you would add the band to the site because that is what you said you would do

Interviews Coordinator

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote King By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unitopia (Eclectic/ Prog Related?)
    Posted: December 09 2008 at 14:36
Cool, thanks Logan - I should be getting on that shortly
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 13:42
Well thanks for you compliments, but there's no need for personal attacks here. Even site volunteers deserve to have a break on Christmas, especially with hours to travel time to reach family and friends. I suppose I have no excuse in the matter but it would seem that you're the only person upset about this. If you're very anxious to write a review then I apologise otherwise I'll just say what I said before, "I'm getting to it".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 13:51
thanks, of course you deserve a break and I only directed my comment to you because nobody else seemed pertinent, certainly not into arguing, hope you are having a great holiday season, peace
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 15:11

Well you'll be happy to know that along with some very excellent coffee I finished the bio this morning and submitted it to the team for addition. Ball's in their court now so it shouldn't be long until I can go in and add the albums. I've had a review of the album ready and waiting since mid-November, so I guess that will finally have a home

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 15:24
thanks a lot
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 16:01
Ta da!!!

I guess nagging DOES work around here
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 16:12
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

good ...glad you clarified......and no, i don`t agree it is the album of the year, what i do think they belong on the site,  something you said you would take care of which you have not done, I do not find you annoying and actually think you are one of the better reviewers on the site, just wish you would add the band to the site because that is what you said you would do

ahem.....   in between posting reviews, interviews.. and having a personal life outside of the site. He volunteered to do the addition.

Why don't you get off his ass...  he got to it when he had the time.... 

Edited by micky - December 26 2008 at 16:13
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 17:12
Thanks to King By Tor
 Post Reply Post Reply