Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Old & New Interesting Progressive Bands Thread
    Posted: December 30 2008 at 08:51

MY OLD AND NEW INTERESTING

PROGRESSIVE BANDS THREAD

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 12:48
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:21

Wink

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 12:48
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:32

And .. "old loves die hard" Wink :

LATTE E MIELE - Live Tasting (****)
Live Tasting
- Incredible how many legendary Classic Italian Progrock bands have reunited in the last decade, after bands like Il Balletto Di Bronzo, Le Orme, Banco, New Trolls and Osanna, here is Latte E Miele featuring 3 members of the original line up on their debut album Passio Secundum Mattheum (1972).

- This live CD was recorded in Canada in 2008, it sounds good and the band plays very inspired songs from their three Seventies albums. The first part concerns a selection of their first album, we can enjoy a great blend of classical and symphonic rock with awesome vintage keyboard work (Grand piano, Hammond organ, Mellotron, synthesizers and some splendid harpsichord runs), wonderful moving guitar solos, warm Italian vocals and lots of variety, from a tender Grand piano solo or classical guitar with flute-Mellotron to mid-tempo with powerful organ and bombastic with a choir sound, propulsive drum beats and beautiful interplay between guitar and piano. Then three songs from the album Papillon (1973): a mid-tempo with Emerson-inspired Hammond work and classical orchestrations in Ouverture, lots of variety with brass instruments, classical guitar, church organ and a jazzy acoustic guitar solo in Primo Quadro and a dreamy climate with warm and sparkling Grand piano, flute-Mellotron, wonderful Italian vocals and compelling classical orechestrations in Rimani Nella Mia. Next is the song Fantasia Pere Chandra (I am not familiar with this track) that contains virtuosic classical guitar, followed by the suite Pavana from the album Aquile E Scoiattoli (1976). It often sounds similar to The Enid featuring a classical keyboard sound, blended with fiery electric guitar, a strong rhythm-section and again great work on keyboards, especially in Pavana Parte Terza (Hammond, church organ and Bolero-like accordion sound on synthesizer), very impressive! The band concludes this live CD with a new song entitled Vision Of Sunlight, it starts a bit polished but then we can enjoy strong work on guitar and keyboards in a more bombastic and compelling atmosphere, is this a prelude for a new album? I hope so!

ASTURIAS – In Search Of The Soul Trees (****)
In Search of the Soul Trees
- This Japanese progrock band was founded in 1987 and made 3 studio albums: Circle In The Forest (1988), Brilliant Streams (1990) and Cryptogram Illusion (1993). Then Asturias disbanded but 25 years after their latest effort, here is a surprising return in de original line-up, including members of the other known Japanese progrock formation Shingetsu.
- This new album contains two epic tracks (at about 23 and 27 minutes), both are divided into five parts. The music is, like on their previous albums, strongly influenced by Mike Oldfield but I also notice elements from folk, classical music, jazz and symphonic rock, very well blended and tastefully arranged: the one moment you hear instruments like a twanging acoustic guitar, Grand piano, cello or flute, the other moment bombastic keyboards and howling electric guitar runs. To me this album sounds as a very pleasant and varied musical journey with many interesting ideas and lots of surprising shifting moods. My highlights are the two most progressive rock oriented compositions: the alternating, often very exciting Woods Storm (lush mellotron waves, fiery guitar, a powerful Chris Squire-like bass, an acoustic guitar solo with swinging piano and a swirling Hammond organ solo) and the long Soul Trees (wonderful violin solo, great bombastic eruptions and a beautiful final part with soaring keyboards and warm classical guitar). I also like the final track Dawn featuring sensitive work on Grand piano and electric guitar, a very warm end of a strong and varied album.
- A big hand for Japanese progrock band Asturias with their convincing return after 25 years!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:43

Back in time, to Italy:

LE ORME-Live Orme

- If I take a look at the Italian section of my progrock collection, it’s a battle between PFM and Le Orme to be honoured as my favorite band. I tend to choose (early) Le Orme because of their splendid compositorial qualities, their huge musical skills, their great dynamics and their perfect blend of technical and emotional elements. In the mid-Nineties I traced this 2-live-CD (at the level of a good bootleg) in the catalogue of Musea, the known French progrock label/mail-order service. Eventually it turned out to be both one of my most expensive orders (almost US $ 45,-) as one of my most precious Italian progrock documents because “Live Orme” contains great renditions of all the ‘classics’ like “Contrappunti”, “Maggio”, “Gioco di bimba”, “Era inverno”, “Truck of fire”, “Cementi armato”, “Collage” and the surprising (but unfortunaltely short) covers from Led Zeppelin (“Whole lotta love”) and Jethro Tull (“Aqualung”). I’m delighted about the wonderful changing atmospheres, from warm and melancholic (featuring the great, very distinctive Italians vocals and pleasant acoustic guitar) to compelling and bombastic in the vein of The Nice and ELP, what a stunning keyboardplay delivering lots of exciting Hammond organ and a dynamic rhytm-section.

SENSITIVA IMMAGINE - E Tutto Comincio Cosi

- Almost every inch of this CD (transferred from 1976 tapes) has the spirit of the early GENESIS, only the Italian vocals let you realise that this album is not a kind of ‘lost “Selling England By The Pound” tapes’! Even a live picture on the inside of this digipack (I own the Japanese Melos label version) looks like the early GENESIS. The six compositions (the Musea re-release has three bonus tracks) sound pleasant and melodic featuring warm vocals, great sensitive electric guitar work and lush keyboards. They don’t have the elaborate compositional skills of the other famous GENESIS-inspired band NEUSCHWANSTEIN but I’m sure SENSITIVA IMMAGINE will not be a disappointment if you want to enjoy the 70-77 GENESIS-era.

Ciao Wink 

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 12:37
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:43

Nice recommendatiosn Erik, i am eagerly waiting for my copy of the new Anima Mundi album and as i see you rated it with 4 stars, i am sure it will be a great listening!

I am also waiting for the Aly's copy/meeting, he does not live in the same city as me but hopefully we will meet in the next year!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:48

Hello Memowakeman, you loyal fellow symphomaniac Hug haha! On the last two Progwalhalla evenings the new Anima Mundi album was received very well, what a pity you have to wait so long. Although I am not a progmetal fan, I am very pleased with Aly his album, you can name it Eclectic Prog Metal, very exciting Thumbs Up

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 12:09
Cut it out, I already have too much stuff in my collection. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 12:21

Well Slartibartfast, in most of my other threads I was often accused of "plundering
         the wallets" because of my many recommendations so you better ignore this thread LOL !

By the way, you do have a stuffed collection  Shocked .....

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 30 2008 at 12:24
AmericanProgster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 13:53
Hey Erik, I'm glad to meet another fan of Angel. What a great band they were and are! Their first two albums "Angel" - 1975 and HelluvaBand - 1976 are great hard rock meets a whole lot of symphonic albums! I've never been able to say which is my favorite though, would've been easier if they released both as a double album!Wink But definitely their most progressive songs would be "The Tower", "Mariner", and the epic "The Fortune" (which opens with a 4 minute moog and mellotron intro).

On these first two albums Angel's lyrical content at times reminds of some of the greatest (Yes, Genesis, Captain Beyond).

For Angel's third release, On Earth as it is in Heaven, they started to go commercial but that doesn't mean they didn't throw some prog in there! I recommend Can You Feel It, "You're Not Fooling Me," "That Magic Touch" (a nice little pop prog song, catchy as hell), and for those of you who never had the oppurtunity to listen to anything outside their first two albums then you will really enjoy "Cast the First Stone" and "Just a Dream" which are among Angel's most progressive titles.

Thanks for listening!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:01
I would like to include a band called Light who were from Indiana, USA. They formed in the late 70s or early 80s and only released one album in 1981 called "Keys." They played what some people might call soft prog/pop prog or combination of the two. Their one and only album has beautiful music and I think is worthy of a few listens. So if you can find this album then go for it. Besides if you don't like the music you can always hang the album cover on your wall, just look at the amazing artwork!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:05

Thanks for posting AmericanProgster, today I read your thread about Angel'and I am glad I have included Angel their first album in my first post, I just added my review about their second album in that post, I presume you have missed it so take a look again Thumbs Up Anyway, it's a very captivating band in progressive terms on their first two albums (but it's not easy to get those albums as CD reissues) and I am glad you are a fan of their unique sound too!

Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 30 2008 at 14:28
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:17
Tower.... no need to say another word, except maybe Giuffria Clap
It's been a few aeons since I last heard that album, I'll have to look it up somewhere. Last time I played it was in the audio cassette era.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:28
What the hell is a cassette! LOL Just kidding, all my Angel albums are on vinyl. Too tedious at times to find all their albums on CD.

Here's another band for you all. GoodThunder formed in the early 70s in Los Angeles. They played a heavy kind of pysch prog. They only released one album in 1972 before all their members joined AOR bands. This is a highly recommended album, so find yourself a copy and enjoy. You can find it both on vinyl and CD, although the vinyl is easier and cheaper to get.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:35

Angelo, are you that old Shocked LOL ?!

AmericanProgster, thanks for your USA progrock bands recommendations Light and StormThunder Thumbs Up Do you know this USA progrock bands (it's my PA review from a long time ago)?

ATLANTIS PHILHARMONIC - Same
- I have just added this fine USA gem to the Prog Archives site, I’m looking forward to other reviews! And keep in  mind that this was a duo playing all the instruments!

- 1. Atlantis (5.15) : This is a bombastic and dynamic piece featuring raw electric guitar, pleasant vocals and great Hammond organ work, from powerful to swirling. In the end there is a fat synthesizer sound, blended with fiery electric guitar and finally wonderful violin-Mellotron.

- 2. Woodsman (7.36) : First beautiful piano play, very tender and then more and more sparkling. Soon soft violin-Mellotron waves enter and the piano play builds up very exciting, culminating in an eruption with majestic violin-Mellotron in the vein of early King Crimson or Museo Rosenbach, GOOSE BUMPS!

- 3. Death man (5.27) : On  this song te focus is on propulsive interplay between a fiery electric guitar and powerful drums, at some moments accompanied by Hammond organ runs and strong vocals.

- 4. Fly-the-night (4.36) : A catchy rhythm with Hammond organ - and harpsichord work, pleasant but a bit simple.

- 5. My friend (3.59) : A warm track featuring beautiful piano – and Mellotron play.

- 6. Atlas (8.15) : The final composition is build around fiery electric guitar and propulsive drum beats, it sounds exciting and has a dated, typical late Sixties/early Seventies sound. To me this is more than OK!

A FINE PROGROCK ALBUM FOR THE VINTAGE KEYBOARD AFICIONADOS!

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 30 2008 at 14:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:44
I've heard of them, but I don't think I've heard their music.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 15:14
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Angelo, are you that old Shocked LOL ?!

Hmm..... I had a cassette player and a portable record player (you know, the kind with two speakers that you can click together to create a cover for the player) around 1987, and that's also around the time I first heard Angelo.Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 15:29
Close to embryonal memories Angelo Wink ! But seriously, that cassette tape era was great, I remember that in the early Seventies (I am from 1960) I taped all the interesting songs from the weekly Top 40 on the Dutch radio after I had purchased the weekly Veronica Top 40 list at my favorite record store. Later I started to listen to the pirate radio stations like Veronica, Radio Northsea International, Radio Caroline and Radio Luxembourg, that's the way I discovered bands like Queen, Roxy Music, Status Quo, Uriah Heep and Deep Purple Thumbs Up
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 16:16
I taped in a similar fashion - remember Vara's Vuurwerk between 85 and 89?
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 05:03

Angelo, I don't remember Vara's Vuurwerk between 1985 and 1989, I am only familiar with De Beton Top 3 where I first heard the stunning sound of early Angel (indeed: Mirror, how exciting Clap).

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 11 2009 at 12:50
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 05:36
Nice list! Clap
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>