Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 14:14
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well, so much I could report about Nearfest, but I'm still processing it all.  The bands were great, though Van der Graaf Generator didn't do a lot for me (much to my surprise, as I've always loved that band and loved Hammill's solo performance at Nearfest a few years back) and neither did Helmet Of Gnats.  Every band was extremely talented and skilled, so there wasn't anything to be unhappy about.  I totally missed 12th Night because I needed to go back to the hotel room and sleep, but from what I heard I didn't miss much.

Anglagard was magnificent, my favorite of the fest, followed closely by Renaissance.  Annie Haslam still has it, and just blew me away with some of the notes she was  able to hit.  She's not quite what she was, but like Jon Anderson, she's still got it.  Hearing John Wetton sing Starless live was priceless, and the whole UK band just nailed it perfectly.

Got a bunch of CD's, but listened to Flower Kings first.  I'll have to give it more listens (two so far), but on the first time through I was smiling.  I don't really hear the "heaviness" everyone mentions, and I don't find it heavier than many of their previous albums, maybe not more than any of them), but it sounds really, really good so far.

Thanks for the report.  I figured anglogard and uk would fun.  I'd love to see uk live.  So, what other CDs did you get?

Btw, I'm still waiting for my BoE.  Any day now.

Comus "Out of the Coma", latest Steve Hackett CD, new Anglagard album, new Izz album, Lost In The New Real (Anthony Arjen Luccasson ... or however you spell his name), Abel Ganz "Shooting Albatross", Klaus Schulze "La Vie Electronique Vol. 3".  I think that was it.  Also got the new Echolyn album before leaving, can't remember if I mentioned that here or not.

Only listened to the Hackett, Anglagard and Flower Kings so far, but all are excellent.
Some stuff I need to check out.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 18:47
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Some days I think about changing the background of my forum avatar to some kind of scenery, Stonehenge comes to mind a lot, maybe an iconic picture of the city of Pittsburgh, maybe a herd of emu . . .  

I think all the above scenes that you mentioned would be a considerable upgrade to what you currently have.

Wink

Now way! Roland's avatar is ICONIC !!!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 18:49
I don't like it, but my opinion is irrelevant anyways. 
I change mine 2-3 times a day and upload new ones weekly. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 18:50
That's been Roland's avatar for, like, the entire time he's been here. (right?)
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 18:53
I know he's had it for a while, it's just Dead
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 18:55
It's the Catfish Man, from your favorite band Spock's Beard! Evil Smile
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:00
I've heard 2 SB songs. I don't want to hear anymore. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:01
Care to share which ones they were?
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:05
OK- after hearing the new album for the 3rd or 4th time- I'm not too sure what to think. I'm pretty sure I like it better than their last two albums, which were pretty weak. I need to listen to it more I guess. 

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:07
The Man Behind The Curtain and The Light. Might of heard some more from their X album, but i can't recall. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:08
I've listened 6 or 7 times, but I need to take a break and come back in a week or so. I don't usually listen to the same TFK album so many times in such a short amount of time (plus Ive been craving other TFK albums). After my break from BoE, I should hopefully see if I can rank it among the other albums, and maybe write up a review.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:09
^^ Yeah- I think writing more reviews is in orderSmile

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:11
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The Man Behind The Curtain and The Light. Might of heard some more from their X album, but i can't recall. 

The Light is where I assume Roland got the idea for his avatar (The Catfish Man), and that song is considered one of the band's best. I'm a little surprised you didn't like that one, big Genesis feel there. Man Behind the Curtain is alright but not their best. Maybe you should have checked out something from their most acclaimed album "V".

By the way:
AAHHH I love Meet The Flower Kings!!!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:11
I might even write a review for it, Pandamonium is a track that caught my hears quickly. But if i do it'll be after my next MR review. Something that i must do soon! I'm thinking 4* right now after my 3rd listen. Do you guys have the Deluxe version?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:12
I don't remember what The Light sounded like. I might give X another shot, seeing i have the album. 

Edited by Horizons - June 28 2012 at 19:12
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:13
I do. The bonus tracks are good, but I only listened to them a few times so I can focus on the main disc (which is THE album).

As with most albums, and especially TFK albums, I think it's best to sit with their music for a while before writing a review. I waited 5 months to write my review for Back In The World of Adventures after buying it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:15

I don't remember what The Light sounded like. I might give X another shot, seeing i have the album. 

I know you can stream The Light on Spock's PA page. As someone who has X, and 4 Neal-era albums, I think X is the weakest, but still good. 3 stars on that one. But I think all the Neal-era albums are at least 4 stars. V is the best one, not my favorite, but it is the best.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 19:27

I might even write a review for it, Pandamonium is a track that caught my hears quickly. But if i do it'll be after my next MR review. Something that i must do soon! I'm thinking 4* right now after my 3rd listen. Do you guys have the Deluxe version?

Yeah- I really dig the last two tunes on the 2nd disc

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 23:26
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

The Light is where I assume Roland got the idea for his avatar (The Catfish Man), and that song is considered one of the band's best. I'm a little surprised you didn't like that one, big Genesis feel there. Man Behind the Curtain is alright but not their best. Maybe you should have checked out something from their most acclaimed album "V".

By the way:
AAHHH I love Meet The Flower Kings!!!

Same here, that is one of my all-time favorite live albums. I need to get a physical of that ASAP (but no moneh).

Loved your review as well. Clap
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 06:23
Is the new hackett CD - leccy or acoustic guitar or both.....
Eh?
Not got any hackett stuff beyond that genesis re-visited...
I love his first four CD's...then sort of downhill...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 486>