Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 486>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2023 at 09:12
I can see/hear all the comments about the most recent albums, they are not up to par or even on same level as earlier albums. There is a certain sameness about them, I find myself picking and choosing what specific songs I want to hear. 
Fortunately since I am 99% LP listener, I don't skip anything. I play all sides of all records so I have a tolerance you might say for the songs I don't care much for, but I still hear them. In the car or plane I do find myself skipping tracks...which is taboo for me LOL.
At times I feel they are stuck in a formula, and I want them to get out of that. I realize they are not at the age to take a 5yr hiatus, but some form of break may be needed to get some creative juices flowing.
As well my true hope is that Bodin returns and even Zoltan Csorsz or Felix Lehrmann, I always felt my love of TFK stemmed from the rhythm section of drums and Jonas on bass.
I'm a big fan of Adam & Eve, couple great epics and additionally some shorter great songs, I'm in the minority as seems A&E is not a top album for most, that's fine...this is prog rock it's not supposed to be popular Big smile.

The album has shipped, hoping to have by the weekend!!! 

Edited by Catcher10 - March 21 2023 at 09:17
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2023 at 07:26
I love all The Flower Kings albums and am super excited for some long form songwriting to return. This is where Stolt really excels IMHO.
The Prog Corner
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 21:02
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

^ As a big fan of TFK, I mostly agree with you. I love pretty much all TFK releases from 1995 to 2013, then they are "only good" (with some excellent tracks here and there).

There is something else to mention: the absence of Tomas Bodin. I miss his compositional skills and his craziness. The new drummer is not very exciting either...

Let's hope for a good album in 2023. It should contain at least one epic song, so maybe we will go back to the roots?

I know what you mean about the absence of Tomas and him no longer being in the band may very well have something to do with it. 

What do you think of Adam and Eve though? That's the one earlier album I thought was kind of lackluster although the one that followed Paradox Hotel wasn't up to their usual high standards either and was probably their weakest double album. 
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 20:17
^ As a big fan of TFK, I mostly agree with you. I love pretty much all TFK releases from 1995 to 2013, then they are "only good" (with some excellent tracks here and there).

There is something else to mention: the absence of Tomas Bodin. I miss his compositional skills and his craziness. The new drummer is not very exciting either...

Let's hope for a good album in 2023. It should contain at least one epic song, so maybe we will go back to the roots?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 19:39
Not too long ago I finally picked up the last 3 TFK releases (all on cd of course). To me they are not as good as what the band has done before and I'm really not sure why they even bothered to reform. Not that they are terrible or anything but I just don't see the point. The last good one imo was Banks Of Eden and even that one wasn't as good as Sum Of No Evil which itself was not as good as the mid to late 90s/ early 2000s releases. Their best albums to me will always be the ones from the early internet/ third wave days but there were a few good ones later on too. I just feel that lately they seemed to have run out of good ideas and have kind of turned into the Ozric Tentacles (not that they sound like OT but the sameness factor is similar imo). 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 17:32
On order finally from LasersEdge.....

Flower Kings, the - Adam &amp; Eve (Re-issue 2023), 15,90 €
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2023 at 17:35
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2023 at 07:58
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Lasers Edge will be getting Adam&Eve on black and colored vinyl pretty soon Ken said.....Still no news on Sum Of No Evil release date. After those two, I am done with the reissues.......Then it will be just new music.

A&E is on Roine's website for purchase but that too spendy shipping from there, I'll wait for Lasers Edge to get it.

A friend of mine says these remaster/remixes are going all the up to and including Desolation Rose!

Personally, I'm good with my CD's I bought on release.  I think they all sound great.  I've heard a few of the latest batch of remasters/remixes and while some of the remixing is interesting, I don't really have any desire to own them.  I certainly don't fault Roine for wanting to make extra money, though from what he's said it sounds like it was InsideOut that prompted this most recent run (as well as the box sets a few years ago).
Well its about issuing them on LP for the first time in most cases, if you have a CD there is no reason to get another CD. Roine is remixing some songs on many of the albums as he stated the original mixes he was not very pleased with. The ones he has remixed do have a much nicer feel and for me just convey the music in a better sense because I hear more sounds that he has brought forward in the new mix, especially on the early releases.
Desolation Rose originally was issued on LP and I have that from 2013, I doubt he reissues that album.....maybe though but would nit buy it again on CD or LP.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2023 at 05:35

Lasers Edge will be getting Adam&Eve on black and colored vinyl pretty soon Ken said.....Still no news on Sum Of No Evil release date. After those two, I am done with the reissues.......Then it will be just new music.

A&E is on Roine's website for purchase but that too spendy shipping from there, I'll wait for Lasers Edge to get it.

A friend of mine says these remaster/remixes are going all the up to and including Desolation Rose!

Personally, I'm good with my CD's I bought on release.  I think they all sound great.  I've heard a few of the latest batch of remasters/remixes and while some of the remixing is interesting, I don't really have any desire to own them.  I certainly don't fault Roine for wanting to make extra money, though from what he's said it sounds like it was InsideOut that prompted this most recent run (as well as the box sets a few years ago).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 08:39

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2023 at 00:41

Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

I should get the remasters on vinyl one day...

What are u waiting for?? Buy now or cry later!!!

Agreed
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 15:11
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

What are u waiting for?? Buy now or cry later!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 15:10
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

^ It should have 1 or 2 long songs! Thumbs Up

ClapClap
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 15:06
D~B
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 14:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 11:09
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Personally, I've grown to love Islands over the past year or so, while my appreciation of Miracles has diminished (and I didn't think it was all that great to begin with).  By Royal Decree is better than Miracles, but not better than Islands, to my ears.  Even if I still feel like some of the tracks on Islands feel unfinished (Miracles almost every track feels that way though).

Anyway, over all I think they are all decent to really good.  Looking forward to the new album that is nearly complete.

Any info on the new tracks, titles, name.......??
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 08:39

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

I’m literally listening to Waiting For Miracles and. I am thinking about which of the three latest albums is my favourite of the three.
Waiting For Miracles
By Royal Decree
Islands
Tuff call.

Yes pretty equal.....my order:
By Royal Decree
Islands
Waiting For Miracles

Personally, I've grown to love Islands over the past year or so, while my appreciation of Miracles has diminished (and I didn't think it was all that great to begin with).  By Royal Decree is better than Miracles, but not better than Islands, to my ears.  Even if I still feel like some of the tracks on Islands feel unfinished (Miracles almost every track feels that way though).

Anyway, over all I think they are all decent to really good.  Looking forward to the new album that is nearly complete.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2022 at 16:59
Arrived.....

Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2022 at 15:17
My favorite Flower Kings albums are:

Banks of Eden
Desolation Rose
Waiting for Miracles
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 12:36
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Their three most recent albums are fantastic with By Royal Decree really taking it to classic TFKs level...

What a band!!!

Yuppers!! TFK fooking rule!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 486>