Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 483484485486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eternal Unity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eternal Unity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 08:50
I'm adding my appreciation! Great band!

Edited by Eternal Unity - April 04 2023 at 08:50
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 08:12
I'm going to chime in here to say that Adam & Eve was my first disappointment when it came to TFK albums.  I started listening to them in 1999, and the first album I bought brand new was Alive On Planet Earth, first studio album was Space Revolver, which I loved immediately.  Unfold took me quite a while to really fall in love with, but that's not surprising since it was a departure in some ways from the previous albums of the 90's, which are still far and away my favorites from the band.  It's interesting though, since there are tracks on every TFK album that I didn't like going back The Flower King solo album from Roine.  After always listening to the complete albums over the years, I've actually come to realize that I DO like those songs for the most part, though they are my least favorite tracks on their given albums.  I'm thinking of things like Stupid Girl, My Cosmic Lover, Magic Pie, Different People, for examples.  Now, as I said, I like all those songs now, but initially I didn't because they weren't "prog" enough for me at the time.

Personally, I thought and still think Paradox Hotel was a big step up from Adam & Eve, even if I still fine the big epic Monsters and Men to be mostly uninteresting to me even today (but not bad by any means, just not one of their better epics for me....and I know I'm in a minority on that one).  The last album I really loved was Sum of no Evil, and that one took a few listens to really get into for me, but I still think it's up there with the 90's albums.

After that though, there hasn't been any albums that I have loved and for me, Banks of Eden was huge disappointment.  It's grown on me over the years by I still don't think it's great, just a decent TFK album.  Everything since has been in the good to just okay range, with Islands being the one I like the most since Banks, but still not one I would rank anywhere near the 90's stuff or Sum.

So I get that feeling that their best work is far behind them.  I think it's interesting that Roine went back to the 90's and early 2000's to develop material for at least the most recent album, though I don't know if that was the case for the new one.  I do wonder if that is part of the "sameness" that people are hearing, at least on the most recent album (which still hasn't really clicked for me, though it's not a bad album by any means).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 08:59
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I'm going to chime in here to say that Adam & Eve was my first disappointment when it came to TFK albums.  I started listening to them in 1999, and the first album I bought brand new was Alive On Planet Earth, first studio album was Space Revolver, which I loved immediately.  Unfold took me quite a while to really fall in love with, but that's not surprising since it was a departure in some ways from the previous albums of the 90's, which are still far and away my favorites from the band.  It's interesting though, since there are tracks on every TFK album that I didn't like going back The Flower King solo album from Roine.  After always listening to the complete albums over the years, I've actually come to realize that I DO like those songs for the most part, though they are my least favorite tracks on their given albums.  I'm thinking of things like Stupid Girl, My Cosmic Lover, Magic Pie, Different People, for examples.  Now, as I said, I like all those songs now, but initially I didn't because they weren't "prog" enough for me at the time.

Personally, I thought and still think Paradox Hotel was a big step up from Adam & Eve, even if I still fine the big epic Monsters and Men to be mostly uninteresting to me even today (but not bad by any means, just not one of their better epics for me....and I know I'm in a minority on that one).  The last album I really loved was Sum of no Evil, and that one took a few listens to really get into for me, but I still think it's up there with the 90's albums.

After that though, there hasn't been any albums that I have loved and for me, Banks of Eden was huge disappointment.  It's grown on me over the years by I still don't think it's great, just a decent TFK album.  Everything since has been in the good to just okay range, with Islands being the one I like the most since Banks, but still not one I would rank anywhere near the 90's stuff or Sum.

So I get that feeling that their best work is far behind them.  I think it's interesting that Roine went back to the 90's and early 2000's to develop material for at least the most recent album, though I don't know if that was the case for the new one.  I do wonder if that is part of the "sameness" that people are hearing, at least on the most recent album (which still hasn't really clicked for me, though it's not a bad album by any means).
I can relate to all of this. I think as of now we all have our current favs of the recent albums, we all seem to like ones that others may not enjoy as much but the overriding reasons are the same.
All the recent releases are in the good to very good category for me, but none are outstanding. There is a lot of sameness IMO, not always a bad thing.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 18:39
I'm just wrapping up finishing listening to Retropolis and I noticed that the last track has this skipping sound on it (it starts maybe halfway through it). Does it do that on the remastered cd edition? Or vinyl? My cd version is not the latest. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 18:43
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm just wrapping up finishing listening to Retropolis and I noticed that the last track has this skipping sound on it (it starts maybe halfway through it). Does it do that on the remastered cd edition? Or vinyl? My cd version is not the latest. 

When I started that track (the road back home) again it didn't do it the second time. Weird. 
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 06:59
^ I'm not sure which sound you're referring to. There is no skipping sound on my copy (I think).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 15:06
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

^ I'm not sure which sound you're referring to. There is no skipping sound on my copy (I think).

I have no idea what caused that. Sometimes my cats will walk on the stereo (one at a time) but that wouldn't cause that to happen because it's a cd and not a turntable. Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2023 at 15:50
Sum of No Evil has been released for pre-order on black or light blue 2-LP with CD. Partially remixed as all the others have been......

On order..
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 17:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Sum of No Evil has been released for pre-order on black or light blue 2-LP with CD. Partially remixed as all the others have been......

On order..
It has arrived!!!! I'm happy Clap

Another great reissue by The Flower Kings, I think this completes my getting the reissues on LP from TFK. I really enjoy this album, glad to have it on vinyl. And as usual a great package by Roine...

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2023 at 14:52

On order..
It has arrived!!!! I'm happy Clap

Another great reissue by The Flower Kings, I think this completes my getting the reissues on LP from TFK. I really enjoy this album, glad to have it on vinyl. And as usual a great package by Roine...

That translucent vinyl looks dope.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 14:33
Right now I'm playing the 2022 edition of Unfold The Future. Unfortunately, the bonus track "too late for tomatoes" from the special edition from 2002 is not on here. Does anyone know if that track appears anywhere else in their catalogue?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 02 2023 at 14:35
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 14:36

Right now I'm playing the 2022 edition of Unfold The Future. Unfortunately, the bonus track "too late for tomatoes" from the special edition from 2002 is not on here. Does anyone know if that track appears anywhere else in their catalogue?

no ... too late for tomatoes they said
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 14:55
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

no ... too late for tomatoes they said

You snooze you lose I guess. Here's the thing: I had an earlier version a long time ago (I can't remember if that bonus track was on it or not). Although I did sell a whole bunch of cds a long time ago (something I regret) I don't remember selling this one so it's possible I still have it somewhere. I kind of doubt I'll find it but you never know. At least I still have this newer version. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 02 2023 at 14:56
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 15:40
^ I'm a big fan of this specific track. Really good jam!

You can listen to it for free here:

I believe the limited 2CD release of 2002 is the only place to have this track.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2023 at 10:15

It's on the 2017 reissue 3-LP/2-CD set, both on LP and CD...........An awesome track!

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2023 at 12:52
Tomatoes make me burp. So, it's OK if they show up tomorrow.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 16:34
I started listening to The Flower Kings in 2019 and only last year did I really start delving into their discography. They are now in my top three bands of all time, alongside Marillion and Genesis. My favorite Flower Kings album is Stardust We Are, and Paradox Hotel is a very close second. I have yet to listen to their two most recent albums, Islands and By Royal Decree, though I should considering that I am huge fan of everything else that I've listened to from them. It was The Flower Kings that also got me into Pain of Salvation and, only recently, The Tangent and Kaipa. I love Pain of Salvation despite being very different from The Flower Kings. I wish The Flower Kings got the recognition they deserve as their music is, I would argue, just as good if not better than most classic prog bands of the seventies. I think so many people are turned off by the length of some of their songs and albums because they have this preconceived notion that if a song or album surpasses a certain duration, therefore it is self-indulgent. While you could argue some of their albums contain filler, those filler tracks are completely overshadowed by the overwhelming amount of greatness provided on most of their albums. I may be biased as I am utterly obsessed with this band, but I think that Roine Stolt is a genius, and I don't throw that word around often. This band knows how to write great melodies and in the end, that's what I want more than anything in the music that I listen to. Also, I definitely have to purchase those vinyl reissues; they look incredible.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 17:17
^ TFK are so great! You're lucky to discover them. I would like to re-discover them!! Wink

The only bad news is that their last albums are not so great. I think everything they released from 1995 to 2013 is outstanding. I sincerely hope that the new 2023 album will be great.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2023 at 11:25
Originally posted by Magog2112 Magog2112 wrote:

I started listening to The Flower Kings in 2019 and only last year did I really start delving into their discography. They are now in my top three bands of all time, alongside Marillion and Genesis. My favorite Flower Kings album is Stardust We Are, and Paradox Hotel is a very close second. I have yet to listen to their two most recent albums, Islands and By Royal Decree, though I should considering that I am huge fan of everything else that I've listened to from them. It was The Flower Kings that also got me into Pain of Salvation and, only recently, The Tangent and Kaipa. I love Pain of Salvation despite being very different from The Flower Kings. I wish The Flower Kings got the recognition they deserve as their music is, I would argue, just as good if not better than most classic prog bands of the seventies. I think so many people are turned off by the length of some of their songs and albums because they have this preconceived notion that if a song or album surpasses a certain duration, therefore it is self-indulgent. While you could argue some of their albums contain filler, those filler tracks are completely overshadowed by the overwhelming amount of greatness provided on most of their albums. I may be biased as I am utterly obsessed with this band, but I think that Roine Stolt is a genius, and I don't throw that word around often. This band knows how to write great melodies and in the end, that's what I want more than anything in the music that I listen to. Also, I definitely have to purchase those vinyl reissues; they look incredible.

I too wish I could back and experience my first exposure to TFK. They get recognition across the pond but only in smaller prog groups like PA do they get recognition in US.
The last three albums can be a tough listen, Royal Decree is the best one of the 3 for me.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2023 at 11:31
Great news! Cool

New TFK single coming soon:

New album to be released on September 8, 2023:

Despite the short length of the tracks, there will be epics on the album. They have just cut/divided them as separate tracks to be able to handle all mixes etc. Same tactics as "Garden Of Dreams".

Edited by projeKct - July 09 2023 at 06:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 483484485486>