Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Genesis Tribute album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Genesis Tribute album
    Posted: March 03 2009 at 10:56
More than your average tribute album, this record pairs new renditions of Genesis' classics such as "Hairless Heart," "Fly On A Windshield" & "The Cinema Show" with current original material crafted in the style of one of rock's greatest acts.

http://www.leonplaysmusic.com/Site/Buy.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leon-Alvarado-Plays-Genesis/45610852481
http://www.myspace.com/leonalvaradoplaysmusic

For decades, Genesis has been one of the strongest and most influential bands in rock history. With this in mind, Leon has crafted an album that captures both the essence of and transcends their music. Taking cues from Genesis' own remake of their hit "Carpet Crawlers," Leon has modernized another song from that same album titled "Hairless Heart." The end result was so successful that he developed it into a project. More than your average tribute album, "Leon Plays Genesis" also includes original material done in the various styles of Genesis' illustrious past.

Prior to this project Leon made music for years, playing and recording with artists on two continents while continuing to hone his solo efforts. With bands such as Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Jethro Tull proving to be his greatest influences. His mellower side is more heavily influenced by the music of Vangelis, Tangerine Dreams and movie soundtracks in general. In his own opinion he "sees" the music more than hears it, referring to the imagery the music evokes in listeners' minds.

"Leon Plays Genesis and other original stuff" is a CD that every die-hard Genesis fan should have in their collection. Being a fan himself, Leon reflects his own inspiration in the album he created. From the music to the imposing artwork on the gate-fold jacket, the CD recalls the greatest era of progressive rock.
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 11:02
Some comments by buyers:

On the CD BABY page:
author: C. Arden

Love the new vision! One of the most imaginative and compelling takes on a Genesis remake I have heard. Cinemania and Cinema Show II both will get your heart pounding, and of Wind and Sorrow is a great way to catch your breath. This CD will really make you appreciate your sound system. Fantastic!

From the facebook page:

I continue to be amazed by this respectful masterpiece of music and art. This collection truly captures the genius of Genesis and takes it to another level. I must admit though, the original songs are actually my favorites. When I received my CD, I was totally impressed with the value of the total package. The creative design of the CD cover and materials are very compelling. I've enjoyed exploring the website as well with the artwork and descriptions of each song. I very much appreciate the candid, behind the scenes explanations of the creative process behind the music and accompanying artwork. Congratulations on producing my new favorite music! I'll be enjoying it for a long time and I look forward to your next project.

From the genesislive.ning forum:
Reply by HRM on February 27, 2009 at 3:13pm
As promised. . . Leon's CD arrived a couple of days ago. . . I LOVE it! After all this nonsense, I was half expecting something thrown together in a garage, but this is really good. Sound quality is fantastic, the whole thing is very professional, the Genesis music is moving and respectful, and the original stuff sounds great and fits perfectly. Hats off. Are you sure this is your first album?
From myspace page:
I had a listen to the clips on your page, very cool indeed, I like the original snipets and how you bridged the world of your inspirations with your own.

Take care ;)

Cheers, Billy

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 11:23
In a sense, I'm not so much of a tribute band as I am a musician paying a tribute to my favorite band. I do not perform the music on the road and keep my efforts to the studio. I have put out an album containing some Genesis songs as well as some original songs more or less in the same vain as Genesis. I wanted to create a cohesive project in the best way that I could. I paid lots of attention not only to the music but to the presentation as well. The artwork in the gate-fold cover emulate those of the era when album covers were as great as the music inside them. I must point out that this is pretty much a solo effort that took a long time and money to become a reality. In the process of researching and getting the appropriate people to help me finish my project. I have spoken with key people within the Genesis organisation such as Steve Hackett, Nick Davis and Tony Cousins (the engineer behind the mastering on the Genesis box sets as well as some of my CD). I also recruited the help of Ty Tabor from King's X to assist me with some of the mastering. In creating the CD I have tried to be as professional as possible in order to put out something worthy to the die-hard fans of progressive music. My wish is to have enough people enjoy my music as much as I enjoyed making it. A also created a very detailed website that explains the whole project as well as having sound snippets, etc.

http://www.leonplaysmusic.com/

I'll be very happy if any of you could check the site out and place any comments here or in any of the other forums.

Thanks,
L.A.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2009 at 20:28
There are two upcoming reviews on the album "Leon Plays Genesis". One will be on the "WORLD OF GENESIS" website. The other will be in the Italian magazine "DUSK".
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 02:40

Deleted by incompetent.

Edited by npjnpj - March 06 2009 at 02:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2009 at 11:45
UPDATE!
Here are some nice news I received during the weekend,
First let me start by saying that a great part of my inspiration in creating the project was to demonstrate the members (and ex-members) of Genesis that I intended to give their music some justice. I was very pleased to check my e-mails this morning and to find Steve's comments. I have always felt that his contribution to the music of Genesis was paramount to the point that his departure was more noticeable (musically speaking) than Peter's. After Steve, Genesis turn another page in their career as a band. However, Hackett's contributions (specially in "A Trick Of The Tai"l and "Wind & Wuthering") reflect my personal best musical period of the band. Steve Hackett is the genuine article who still composes and performs music well above the average rock band. I feel very fortunate to have him spend the time talking to me, listening to my CD and giving me his opinion. Here is an excerpt form his comments to me: "It really is excellent. Full of atmosphere and beautifully put together. Your own stuff is particularly good too. I can tell that a great deal of love, time and energy has gone into it all and I think the result is a strong product."

One couldn't have asked for anything better than that.
Thank you Steve, I'm very grateful.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 21:58
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2009 at 23:34
Sounds quite good - But I'll stick to my originals, thanks.

Keep progging
-Joel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 19:58
[QUOTE=progkidjoel]Sounds quite good - But I'll stick to my originals, thanks.

Joe,
Thanks for the feedback. Not trying to replace the originals here, just to pay tribute to them in the way that I know. I'm glad you enjoyed it and let's all hope that we can get a chance to hear something new from Genesis themselves.

Cheers,
L.A.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 10:09
Here are a few interesting people's comments as well as some reviews of the album:

"Another recent arrival at TWR HQ is a delightful CD by Leon Alvarado titled; Leon Alvarado Plays Genesis And Other Original Stuff. This one does exactly what it says on the cover; Leon opens his Cd with an update on the classic Hairless Heart which gives a hi tech treatment to this favourite. Behind The Screen/Cinemania is an Alvarado original, percussion driven and with some interesting use of atmospherics. Fly On A Windshield is another interesting re-working of a favourite Lamb… track. Musically it is excellent but sadly, Leon’s vocals really let the track down (sorry, Leon!). Earthbound/Albert’s Return is another original composition where Leon once again mixes rhythm with some wonderfully atmospheric synth work to create another enjoyable performance. Of Wind & Sorrow too manages to evoke a haunting atmosphere before we are back to the world of Genesis with Cinema Show (Part II) ushered in by some audience applause and then we are given a wonderful rendering of the instrumental part of yet another Genesis classic. The disc is rounded off with another Alvarado original; Broken Promises which once again, rounds off the disc in a suitably dramatic fashion."
Alan Hewitt's The Waiting Room On Line fanzine. http://www.twronline.net/issues/twr72/twr72_musicians_corner.htm

“I have now had a chance to listen to your CD. It really is excellent. Full of atmosphere and beautifully put together. Your own stuff is particularly good too. I can tell that a great deal of love, time and energy has gone into it all and I think the result is a strong product. The covers are good too. I particularly like the way in which you have something like an underground train map for the titles!
Keep up the good work! Congratulations...
All the very best,
Steve Hackett - Genesis

“Very cool indeed, I like how you bridged the world of your inspirations with your own.
As a long time Genesis fan I got the references on your artwork instantly, very cool! Nice job on the music and packaging...Good sounding stuff... I dug it :)”
Billy Sherwood - YES, CIRCA. Also, a well known talented producer.

“The mastering is good on all of it.”
Nick Davis - Genesis producer, when asked about the technical aspects of the CD.

“The music sounds really great and very tastefully played.”
Anthony Drennan - Genesis’ guitar player during the “Calling All Stations” Tour.

“Good luck with your Genesis music.”
John Goodsall - Guitar player and founding member of Brand X.

“This multi-instrumentalist's album consists of original music and tributes to Genesis songs. The tributes are "Hairless Heart," "Fly On A Windshield" and "Cinema Show Part II" which has a very impressive Phil Collins-like drum performance. The original music is well performed and incorporates the use of analog drum machines and a good recreation of the ARP synthesizer sound. Leon's music sounds like the quiet moments of Genesis' Duke era. If I didn't know any better, would have thought that these tracks were out takes from Tony Banks. Also, the great gatefold cardboard CD jacket was design by the artist himself.”
The Garden Shed - CD Club and record store in Tokyo, Japan.

With the idea of listening to yet another tribute to Genesis with alternate compositions of the originals, Leon Alvarado seemed rather pretentious and not very interesting, but when I received the CD I was struck by the packaging in terms of both design and the materials used. Father of three children with a regular job "from 9 to 5" as design / illustrator and no record label behind him, Leon had to take care of every aspect of the process: execution, production, marketing, promotion, distribution, utilising his own money and without the support of any investor or sponsor. The cover, designed like the Japanese mini-vinyl reproductions, shows a landscape (Broadway) where the neon lights serve as the backdrop to an undefined and unreal world. The presence of a human figure in pure white light is the only testimony of real life. The idea of the album’s title written in neon shows the influence of the NBC sign over at Rockefeller Center. On the inner cover, Leon has re-imagined the map of the N.Y.C. subway by changing the names of some stations with those of the songs contained in the CD. Musically, the inspiration came to Leon after hearing the remix in 1999 of Carpet Crawlers: the idea that a song so sacred was even altered gave Leon a changed set of parameters from which he could start his project.
The part of the Mellotron at the beginning of Hairless Heart sounds the same as written, but the sound changes through the digital keyboard whilst the percussion part is completely different using a mix of different drum machines.
On his Fly On A Windshield Leon shows his bond with the electronic music of Vangelis with it’s mysterious and ethereal atmosphere. Within the track you notice the sound effects of road noise that Leon added to better contextualize the song. The guitar parts originally by Hackett are played slightly below level, which Leon tried to compensate by emphasising the mellotron and percussion parts. Another weak point are the vocals, which unfortunately does not stand comparison with the voice of Peter in terms of timbre (significantly different), extension and voice intonation.
In Cinema Show Leon performs the second part taking in consideration that the best version of this song is the one in Seconds Out. There's a “live” feel with the addition of mixing in a “crowd” and two tracks of drums to emulate the two drum sets normally used by Genesis. Leon contacted and engaged Nick Davis in stages to give some advice on post-production and the masterisation of the track. But links to Genesis can be found even as traced autographs, like the initial rhythmic pattern of Behind The Screen / Cinemania (which reminds you of the live version of I know What I like and which Leon admits he’d taken the melodic inspiration from Behind the Lines), as well as Earthbound / Albert's Return which has a “Banksian” atmosphere to it with a morbid and evocative instrumental melody that is typical of his style. With Wind & Sorrow the inspirations are evident (at least in the title) to the track Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats. However, the track also reminds you of some musical passages from Wind & Wuthering and Entangled and it’s probably the song that takes more inspiration from the music of Genesis. The last piece, Broken Promises, is born with the intent to appeal to a wider audience by distancing itself from the typical progressive music of the 70’s. At first hearing, the original compositions seem to have the upper hand over the covers. Probably to ears like mine, who know every sound from Genesis, they remain somewhat off when taking into account the choices of sounds and arrangements. Furthermore, some tracks seem to suffer a bit from the sound choices not being properly centered in some of the drum machines and in the construction of the stylistic rhythmic patterns. However, I understand the difficulties that Leon would have had incurred in additional costs by going back to a studio for more recording of drum tracks. Also, given his limited vocals, perhaps Leon should have sought out a different vocalist with a closer intonation to the original material. In a couple of places the voice recording can be troublesome for those who know perfectly every note sung by Peter. The material is meant to be heard with an open mind as it is not just another tribute trying to rebuild the same argument by recreating the songs note for note. Like Leon says, “it’s a labour of love” and it can be order at:http://cdbaby.com/cdleonalvarado
Stefano Tucciarelli for DUSK magazine - April 2009 - page 62

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 15:19
I'm actually getting more and more interested in this one!

Your version of Cinema Show (or the excerpt from MySpace) is actually very good! I'd love to hear the full version, but what I heard was pretty good!

Keep up updated
-Joel
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 15:35
Originally posted by leonalvarado leonalvarado wrote:

[QUOTE=progkidjoel]Sounds quite good - But I'll stick to my originals, thanks.

Joe,
Thanks for the feedback. Not trying to replace the originals here, just to pay tribute to them in the way that I know. I'm glad you enjoyed it and let's all hope that we can get a chance to hear something new from Genesis themselves.

Cheers,
L.A.

His name is Joel, not Joe. LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 15:43
^

I didn't notice that!
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 17:22
Don't you think there is enough Genesis Tribute albums out there without another one?
jon 89
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 22:38
I've never really understood Tribute Bands, anyway. Much less a Prog one. I mean, if you're going to build up your chops well enough to play prog-calibur music, wouldn't be more fun and rewarding to write and play your OWN music?

I dunno . . . I'm probably just not getting it.
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 01:29
Tribute Bands And Albums suck
jon 89
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 05:55
My favourite Genesis tribute band is Marillion Wink

Prog Archives Tour Van
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 10:28
Unhappy
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 14:42
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

My favourite Genesis tribute band is Marillion Wink

*Rages*

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2009 at 01:15
I'll give you my point of view. I don't think is a matter of "getting it" or not.  Musicians like to play good music, I don't feel any different in that matter. The album does have several original songs which I feel addresses the rewarding part of playing my own. Phil Collins is coming out with an album of cover songs and Peter Gabriel is releasing his album of cover songs in January. Steve Hackett did an album of classical guitar music and bands like YES have recorded songs by Simon and Garfunkel. Symphony orchestras play music all the time that is not original. How many recordings are there of Bethoven's Fifth Symphony?

Tribute albums are not the same as tribute bands. Tribute bands re-enact shows in the closest possible way to the original. They serve a purpose for all those fans that were either too-young, or for whatever reason never got to see the real thing. Looking at them for what they are, they provided a couple of fun hours with a crowd of people who have the same thing in mind, the music. Some people go to see tribute bands just to feel nostalgic. Tribute albums are a different thing, they put their own spin into the music they represent. Some people find the arrangements to their favourite songs to be something interesting, if anything because it shows some slights variations to a particular piece. However, I do understand how tributes can't always please everybody. To some people having the music being recorded by someone outside the band is like writing graffiti in the front door of their mother's house. Nothing I can do about that but, just like Phil Collins enjoys and feels the need to put out an album of songs composed by others, I felt the same need to include some of the songs he helped composed into my own album. Even Steve Hackett liked the album very much which it says something for some sort of validation. After all, he is one of the composers.

You could make the argument of the album being about equal in Genesis vs Original songs. So there are plenty of original material to go along with the Genesis music. The name of Genesis is prominently displayed in the cover because the Genesis songs are the ones people would recognise and because I meant for the whole album to have a very Genesis feel to it. It is my way of playing tribute to the band that turned me on to progressive rock about 35 years or so ago.

Finally, some people will get insulting about it and that's okay, you could just simply say that the album is not for them. But if you like progressive rock and specially Genesis, you may just want to give it a listen, you'll never know if you like it until then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>