Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMartin Barre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Barre
    Posted: March 08 2009 at 08:01

Martin Barre should be added to Prog Related! He has released three (I think) solo albums. His latest, Stage Left, is the only one I have and it is quite good.

His long service to Jethro Tull alone clearly makes him a suitable candidate.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - March 08 2009 at 08:29
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 08:13
I am afraid you're wrong on the last count. Solo artists don't get added just because they were members of prog bands. This is a very slippery slope, and to prove it to you I'll just mention one name: Phil Collins.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 08:15
God, I love Martin, but none of his albums is even mildly Progressive Rock.
Bigger on the inside.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 08:40

Stage Left is more than mildly progressive in my opinion. It is an almost all instrumental guitar album, sometimes reminding me of Steve Morse Band. It is hardly conventional rock/pop music anyway.

I agree that being a member of a Prog band is not enough to be added automatically - but I believe that it should be allowed some weight in our considerations. Many other guitarists from Prog bands are here already, and Stage Left is not less progressive than many of their albums. Besides I tend to love solo albums by Prog guitarists Embarrassed

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 09:17
I fully agree with you. Martin Barre should be here - a icon of prog music and rock music that had set many standards. Even if his solo output is not prog, or not fully prog - he deserves a place here in prog related, he  is recognized in many other prog rock web sites.

Phil Collins, by comparison, is sort of a special case -- he was recognized pop musician, and if added, the hell and high water will break out.

Greg Lake, whose solo rock output is not to proggy, is here, and nobody's having a problem with that.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 09:28
In my opinion, either we add ALL the solo outputs of members of prog bands, or we don't add any... We have to be consistent, if this is the way we want to go. I have never heard Martin Barre's solo albums (and he is one of my favourite guitarists ever, so this is not based on personal taste or anything), so I can't really judge if they are prog-related or not. However, in my personal opinion, those solo outputs should only be added if they are MUSICALLY prog-related - otherwise, someone like Lemmy would have very legitimate claims to being added (as Motorhead), since he was a prominent member of Hawkwind, and plays on some of their most important albums. Just remember, this is a very slippery slope.

Edited by Raff - March 08 2009 at 09:33
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 09:54
I do know it's a slippery slope...as an inclusionist who like to observe all the musical meanderings and interactions, I'm inclining more towards ALL then NONE -- but then again, I don't want that to be an absolute ALL (I really have no interest in seeing the Buggles here). Another parameter is controversy. Just can't stop thinking what would happen if  The Phil get added (but I won't lose any sleep if he stays out, and he probably will). We must deal with politics surrounding art of music as well as with art itself. It's a sad world we're living in, isn't it?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 10:25
Moris, speaking from a merely personal point of view, I would lose NO sleep whatsoever if Phil Collins was included. I am old enough to know that in life there are much more serious things to worry about than the additions on a prog website. However, not everyone is like me, and we have to take the membership's possible reactions into account.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 10:36
yawn....  if people want to get upset ....I mean have nothing better in their lives to do than get upset about additions here..... let them.  Some people will agree ...some people will disagee... and the adults here.. will understand that.  f**k everyone else...  is that plain enough.  Don't like the site..find another.. and trust me.. you won't another site that has artists included that you will agree with 100%.  Unless you think groups like Cinderella are prog..then again... if you did... why would you bitch about additions here.

this whole forum uprising thing is a bunch of bunk... and it's time to dispell that.  We have had some high profile.. even controvsial additions here in the last year.  I am proud to say that the forum has handled itself well... much better than some of the collabs themselves have handled it.  The message to them would be the same... though more pointed.. respect the decisions of the teams... or find another site.

the point to all this....  judge an artist on it's merits.. not on non-musical factors such as the bogeymen who might disaprove of an addition and create chaos here hahha.  Like the admins would allow that anyway.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 04:02
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

In my opinion, either we add ALL the solo outputs of members of prog bands, or we don't add any... We have to be consistent, if this is the way we want to go.

Sorry, Raff, but I can't quite agree, because this would mean that solo artists whose output IS Prog wouldn't be considered, if no solo artists were added as a general rule, as one of your options suggest.

I don't think there's a way to avoid evaluating solo album's artists just as is done with their 'parent' bands.

Here's another thought though: How come that many prog band members make non-prog albums, but I can't think of any case at all where a non-prog band's member produces a prog album? You'd think it would happen sometimes, wouldn't you. Or can anyone think of an example of this?

As for Martin Barre: I've seen stranger inclusions here.

Edited by npjnpj - March 09 2009 at 04:06
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 06:06
The current rule exists and makes sense - one prog album and you're in. I had previously suggested Martin Barre.And I also own but one of his albums - Stage Left. And after having been told it (& the others) weren't really prog, I went back & re-listened to it & agreed.
If PA were to just automatically add anyone that happened to have been a member of a prog band that is listed at PA, we'd simply be saying that prog is not the point of this site.

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 11:27
Martin Barre good  prog albums, i support the addition

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 11:47
Martin Barre, good guitar album, don't see the required prog qualities. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 12:34
Amazingly enough...I don't know anything really about Martin's solo albums. I think I even got Walk Into Light somewhere online, and the lil' b*****d is skulking about somewhere in my harddrive, but Mon. Barre's output has eluded me. Ergo, I must NOT take a position. 
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
 Post Reply Post Reply