Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBaker Gurvitz Army

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baker Gurvitz Army
    Posted: April 11 2009 at 21:47
Couldn't find this group anywhere here, and I can certainly understand why. This was Ginger Baker's 3rd post-Cream outing in the mid-70s after Blind Faith and Air Force. Only did three albums while teaming up with Brit musicians the Gurvitz bothers. Prog? I would say so. The music certainly centers around Ginger's explosive drumming in a more prog way than Cream did.

Listen for yourself. I think they're worthy here, even if short lived and largely unnoticed at the time.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 14:17
IMO, based on limited exposure....

I know it would be nicer to hear from someone more familiar with this project.  As an old Baker/ Cream fan, this is of interest to me.

I'm listening to the music on the myspace page now (it's blues so far ... blues/ hard rock), but just started.

I like "Inside of Me"... Good track and got a proggier feel to it.  I think of Baker's "Energy" as being closer to Prog, but of course I haven't heard enough BGA music to have a well-informed opinionn.  But seems to me a blues (and hard rock) band.  Maybe prog related? (to whatever extent)

Checking out the youtube tracks

http://www.myspace.com/bakergurvitzarmy
PAULGURVITZ.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Gurvitz_Army

Checking out some youtube tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9uxwGPQkBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhcFygb8X0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9YowqXcpp8&feature=related

It doesn't really strike me as Prog per se (blues/ classic rock/ hard rock), based on my limited experience.  Enjoyable.  I'd like to hear Elysian Encounter.  "Remember" is a good track.  If they are worthy, I would think more as a prog related band, but again, I'm lacking experience/ exposure.  Enjoyable....
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 15:36
We of the HP team might take a listen to this. We evaluated another blues-rock band with progressive tendencies, The Groundhogs, who ended up added in Prog-Related. However, I am afraid an addition such as this one would inevitably have people asking for both Cream and Blind Faith to be added - especially now that Hendrix is in the database. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 15:47
That's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned as I always have made it clear that I felt that Cream presents a compelling case for Proto-Prog inclusion, but of course this band should and would be evaluated on its own merits.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 15:55
I never said it was a bad thing, and you should know me better to think I can be against the addition of either Cream or Blind Faith (the latter's only album is a particular favourite of mine). As to being evaluated on its own merits, this is what would happen in an ideal world, but not in the one where we live - and we'd better come to terms with that. I've been too long on this site to harbour any further illusions that people will ever see past the old, tired, "if X is here, then why not Y?".

That said, I will listen to the available samples, and possibly bring the band to the HP team for evaluation.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 16:05
I mean that more calls for Cream's inclusion would be a fairly positive side-effect as far as I'm concerned as I think Cream worthy and have been a fairly big advocate of it (I don't know Blind Faith so well, but knew you liked it), and that your team, of course (provided you decided to bring it to them) would evaluate BGA on its own merits.  Despite my feelings towards Cream, I was not convinced by BGA (but admit that that's based on one listen to merely the samples I posted).
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 16:27
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

We of the HP team might take a listen to this. We evaluated another blues-rock band with progressive tendencies, The Groundhogs, who ended up added in Prog-Related. However, I am afraid an addition such as this one would inevitably have people asking for both Cream and Blind Faith to be added - especially now that Hendrix is in the database. 

Oops, wrong quote. Prog-related sounds about right for this band. It does have a blues feel to it. And with Cream most likely to be included here.........

Alexandria huh? I grew up in Falls Church. Are you a native? Ever hit the Cellar Door in Georgetown? Or see Happy the Man down at The Keg there? They played at my high school. And how can we forget Root Boy Slim?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 17:11
I am Italian, and moved to the US in November.... I am surprised you don't know my storyLOL!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 18:52
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

indeed, but we should've thought of this before adding Wishbone or Budgie

and I couldn't see TMA and BGA being added and not have Gun in proto prog, when the Gurvtitz called themselves Curtis and used Roger Dean aertworks.

But we all know that Cream is soon coming to the archives don't we?

Edited by Sean Trane - April 13 2009 at 03:20
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 19:29
why not...  along with Blind Faith... and ...wait... Ginger Baker's Air Force???  Wink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
weetabix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 22:55
 The Gurvitz Bros.2 good LPs Gun Race w/ the Devil, and Gunsight we (our band at the time ) loved covering Situation Vacant and Long Hair Wildman. Then they became 3 man Army w/out drummer Farrell. And even had the great Buddie Miles on one of their LPs. Baker/Gurvitz you could see Ginger having fun and smiling all the time. Saw them on a show w/ Cathy McGowan   Supersonic.

Edited by weetabix - April 12 2009 at 22:58
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 00:01
I agree with Marktheshark- and also wonder why they aren't already listed.
 Post Reply Post Reply