Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReturn to Forever RETURNS!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return to Forever RETURNS!!!
    Posted: May 04 2009 at 13:13
i'll be honest, i have not been in much of a jazz mood for the last few months, i have been exploring rock, prog, jam bands, prog metal, etc. having moved away from those genres for a while to explore jazz and fusion more deeply. So im in my local record shop, looking to see if there's anything new, and at the corned of my eye i see Return to Forever - "Returns"

i had completely forgot this was released (probably a while ago) and it's from their 2008 summer reunion (which i couldnt attend Angry)

so anyway, i got it (RTF being one of my fav fusion groups), brought it home and after the intro track all i could do was not close my mouth and go
WOW!!!!!!!!

This album kicks a lot of ass. It kind of puts their 70s albums to shame (not really though)

it's great though, extended versions of some of the bands' best work. Everyone shines, it's as if they havent stopped playing together all this time. RTF are jazz-rock, and this music is very much, but i feel they threw in a little extra JAZZ to kick it up a notch. and little extra funk. Chick Corea is all over the place, and his synth and E-piano sounds are so fresh! Al DiMeola has really matured since the 70s, he knows the concept of space and not having to shred a million all the time.

They even play 500 Miles High and Friendship! Sorceress may be the best thing on here though, based on first listen. Song To The Pharaoh Kings is the most prog! Romantic Warrior is superior to the album version. Hell, every version here is superior to its studio counterpart! Vulcan Worlds even teases a couple of Stanley Clarke tunes, i think from his self-titled EP.

all i can say is that, this album may have sparked my interest in jazz again (not that i lost interest), but this album totally deserves repeat listens, if not more. There's also something about the sound quality here, it's so inviting and warm. Maybe it's because it's live, this is the only live album i have by the band (and i think it's the only one out there??)

anyway, awesome album. I recommend this to ANYONE who likes good music, but especially if you like jazz (and not fusion), and of course if you like jazz, fusion, rock, funk, etc..

anyone else pick this one up?
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 20:26
No I haven't. As a matter of fact, I've never heard anything from these guys.

I'm not very familiar with jazz.Embarrassed

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Lucent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 20:37
I have a ton of respect for the music.  I don't have respect for Chick Corea for joining the Co$.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 20:39
Oh damn, they finally released it, yeah I'm going to get it for sure.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 03:06
wow it's a shame more people havent commented yet, seeing how RTF is highly respected (or criticized) on this site 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 13:53
One to add to my list too...sounds great from what you say.
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 00:26
Originally posted by Lucent Lucent wrote:

I have a ton of respect for the music.  I don't have respect for Chick Corea for joining the Co$.

Eh I see where you're coming from, but Chick's said many times that dianetics has been a big inspiration for him and his music. Maybe he's weak-minded but hey, his music's damn good. If dianetics is responsible for that I don't see much wrong with it.

RTF's music has been huge for me ever since I heard Light as a Feather and Medieval warrior for the first time a few years ago. I was lucky enough to see Chick perform with the Five Peace Band the other day, quite a show. I've never seen jazz played on a level even remotely close to that. Great stuff overall and as a keys player Chick was a big inspiration. Unfortunately I missed the RTF tour as well, happy to hear they released a live chronicle though!
 Post Reply Post Reply