Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FMPM, Montreal Canada add Three Friends to line up
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFMPM, Montreal Canada add Three Friends to line up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: FMPM, Montreal Canada add Three Friends to line up
    Posted: May 08 2009 at 15:02
MONTREAL, May 8 2009 -- The FMPM team is proud to announce the exclusive North American premiere of Three Friends to fill the slot opened up by the cancellation of Thieves' Kitchen. Formed by Kerry Minnear (keyboards), Gary Green (guitar), and Malcolm Mortimore (drums) of Gentle Giant, they are augmented by Roger Carey (bass, vocals), John Donaldson (keys), Andy Williams (guitar), and Mick Wilson of 10cc (vocals). Three Friends has started performing the repertoire of Gentle Giant in Europe, with three successful gigs already under their belts. Their performances include material from classic Giant albums Three Friends, Acquiring the Taste, Octopus, Free Hand, In a Glass House, The Power and the Glory, and the self-titled debut, and they are rehearsing more of their old material that they have not yet had a chance to play live. Dual keyboards are used to replace instruments such as violin and cello.

Gentle Giant occupies a special place in the hearts of Quebec progressive rock fans, touring there as headliners as early as 1972 and coming back frequently over the decade. Several of the best Quebec progressive rock bands, such as Maneige, Pollen, and Et Cetera had the privilege of opening for the band, while Contraction did a radio broadcast early in 1974 on the same night which is being released on CD by ProgQuebec on May 26. Many Quebec groups were greatly influenced by the sophisticated compositions of Gentle Giant. When Gary Green was a special guest of the first FMPM in 2006, he was given the celebrity treatment by many of those in attendance, and the obvious questions about performing again came up repeatedly.

Three Friends has been formed not simply to perform the classic Giant repertoire, but they also expect to produce new music in time. There has never been a group like Gentle Giant since they ceased to be almost thirty years ago, and the hopes for a reunion over the years have until now proven futile. This year, at last, the remaining willing members of Gentle Giant will once again give life to their music, and this is as close as fans will get to seeing the full original formation. FMPM is pleased to have the honor of being the first to present it to the North American audience.

In recognition of the magnitude of this event, Three Friends is being treated as a co-headliner of Sunday's festivities alongside Magenta, and will perform a full-length set. Due to the increased cost involved in making this happen, we must announce effective immediately that regular ticket prices will be increasing from $129 to $139 CDN (approx. US $120). Gold ticket prices remain unchanged at $189 CDN (US $160), and a small quantity of these are still available for anyone who wants a premium seat for this historic event. This remains an incredible deal relative to most multi-day festival passes, and with the presence of Three Friends on an already strong bill we expect demand to increase significantly. The Gesu has a capacity of 400 seats and we expect the remaining tickets to go quickly.

Three Friends performs "Just the Same": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2fMo8K2YQ
Excerpt of "Prologue": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ9bHY6tCa8&feature=related
(note: other clips are available on Youtube)

April 16th setlist:

* Prologue
* Playing The Game
* The Advent Of Panurge
* Pantagruel's Nativity
* Just The Same
* Think Of Me With Kindness
* The House, The Street, The Room
* The Boys In The Band
* (Band Introductions)
* His Last Voyage
* In A Glass House
* Mister Class And Quality
* Three Friends
* Free Hand
* Giant
* Peel The Paint

FMPM 2009 takes place September 11, 12 and 13, 2009 at the Gesu in Montreal. The full weekend line-up consists of LE ORME (Italy), THREE FRIENDS (England), MAGENTA (England), DFA (Italy), MIRIODOR (Quebec), EXCUBUS (Quebec), and ROUGE CIEL (Quebec). The Friday night pre-show, for which a separate ticket is sold, includes SAGA (Ontario) and MYSTERY (Quebec). Tickets are now on sale, and more information is available at http://www.fmpm.net
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 17:52
No no no. They're playing Saturday Night ! 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 18:11
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

No no no. They're playing Saturday Night ! 

I can assure you they are playing Sunday.

Regards,
Sean
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 13:12
Too bloody expensive. Some people have to eat.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - May 10 2009 at 16:17
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 20:30
No No No . They have to be playing Saturday Night. Le Orme can play Sunday. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 09:06
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

No No No . They have to be playing Saturday Night. Le Orme can play Sunday. 

Hahaha. I hope you can make it.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 07:19

Got my ticket yesterday !!!!  Smile Can't believe it !  3 original GG members, and in Montreal !  I'm so happy I could cry !!!!!!!!!!!  Busy september I'll be having !  FMPM, all three evenings, Porcupine Tree, Metallica...

"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 14:03
One of my friends waited all night in the bloody rain at the Bell Center for a pair of Metallica tickets for $184. Madness. Musn`t grumble. I saw my fair share of cheap shows back in the 70s & 80s. As much as I would like to see this GG thing the math doesn`t jive.

Edit : Just watched the videos. Never saw GG live but something`s missing without the energy Derek Schulman & John Weathers. Like Green`s sound on the Gibson SG.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - May 12 2009 at 14:09
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 19:25
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Got my ticket yesterday !!!!  Smile Can't believe it !  3 original GG members, and in Montreal !  I'm so happy I could cry !!!!!!!!!!!  Busy september I'll be having !  FMPM, all three evenings, Porcupine Tree, Metallica...

Don't forget Saga on Friday night
counterpoint View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 10:38
It would be nice if Three Friends added some more North American dates!   I can't make it to Montreal, but anywhere in the Northeeast or MidAtlantic, and I will be there!
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 16:41
Just goes to show what a how much Gentle Giant meant to people as only 3 members, excluding the Shulmans, can exite and cause an increase in ticket sales.

Unfortunately, I blew my bucks on Van Der Graaf Genarator which I would rather pay extra money to see in Montreal in the good sounding Place Des Arts, and not have a rainout (unlike the Ottawa Bluesfest)

P.S. In the Ottawa Bluesfest showcase VDGG was not even mentioned, and they are playing the same time as Jeff Beck - Don't they realise Progressive Rock fans also listen to Jazz Fusion of Mr. Beck
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 14:41
FMPM Gold tickets are now sold out.
FMPM Regular tickets (weekend passes) are also sold out.

Saturday tickets are still available, which covers Le Orme, DFA, Rouge Ciel, and ExCubus.
Single-ticket shows are also available for the four shows above, as well as Magenta and Miriodor.
Friday night tickets for Saga and Mystery are also available.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 10:07
bump
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 22:28
I'm going to the FMPM... SaturdayTongue
I'LL SEE LE ORME! And Rouge Ciel! And ExCubus!

Fantastic Clap
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 09:13
Go ahead. be my guest, flush your money down the toilet. I`m going to see Motorhead on Sept 3.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 17 2009 at 09:13
 Post Reply Post Reply