Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTitanic (Norway) for Prog Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Titanic (Norway) for Prog Related
    Posted: May 21 2009 at 11:28
Hi guys, I presented this band to Heavy Prog:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I want to suggest the excellent Heavy Prog band from Norway called TITANIC.

This band formed by:

Roy Robinson: Vocals
Kenny Aas: Keyboard Bass
Kjell Asperud: Percussion, chiorus
John Lorck: Drums
Janne Loseth: Guitar and vocals

TThey perform an excellent blend of Hard Rock, Psyche and Prog, they even have a couple of very experimental tracks in their 1974  release Eagle Rock.

The massive use of Hammond as in  Deep Purple and chorus a la Uriah Heep makes of them a good candidate, if you add the radical changes and the Afro-Caribbean mix (Santana style) I believe they fit perfectly

Tried to find samples but only got a few in Youtube

Iván

With valid reasons Raff  told me this band had already been rejected, but I see no reasons why a band that has clear Prog elements of Uriah Heep, Deep Purple and Santana, shouldn't be added to Prog Related.

Even more, there's a precedent, being an obscure band from Norway from the days Norway was not full of Prog bands (1969 - 1979), I never expected to find them in many sites, but they are

1. http://www.progrock.no/Titanic.htm (Prog site from Norway)
  2. http://www.silverdb.com/PGArtist.asp?AID=3487 (Proggnosis )

Not determinant but at least we're not talking about a controversial band

I believe this is a book case, not relation by members or some pseudo influence alone, but an evident number of Prog elements, that may not be enough for a full Prog genre, even when more than enough for Prog Related.

Will wait for your kind evaluation.

Thanks

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 21 2009 at 15:24

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 13:36
Holy smokes.
Never thought of lookin' for those guys on u-tube.Fantastic.
I got their first four albums on cd .1rst one is a mixed bag in a good sense.A bit of Beatles,Tull,Procol Harum and ofcourse their own sound.
Next 2 are totally prog.By album 4 they moved towards sourthern States rock.
Nice work Ivan.
Titanic gets my vote for inclusion.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 13:39
M'kay - I'll kick it upstairs.
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 16:13
We do not usually evaluate bands a second time, but I'd like to put a suggestion forward... Since we rejected the band after having listened to only one album (Eagle Rock), if we manage to have access to some more material, we might consider moving them to HP AFTER they've been added to PR (if the Admins agree, that isWink). Unfortunately, this is what can happen when the exposure to a band or artist's material is limited to a few items.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 16:58
Great band i support the addition to PR

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2009 at 17:00
As a fact, I believe they are better in Prog Related, because despite the obvious Prog elements, they were mainly a Hard Rock band with strong Psyche conections, but not purely Prog.

Iván

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2009 at 03:48

Their inclusion (under prog-related) would have my full support, for the exact reasons Ivan put forward above.

I was actually surprised to hear that they're still active, and they released a new album a short while back, which sounds as if no time has passed between their first albums and the present. I't wasn't easy to get hold of  Lucky me.. Smile

Edited by npjnpj - May 22 2009 at 04:34
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2009 at 05:52
Well, if we have Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Uriah Heep I have nothing against the addition of a band in the same vein.

It makes me think that we don't have yet another fine blues-influenced hard-rock band in PA : 10 years after...
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2009 at 10:36
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Well, if we have Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Uriah Heep I have nothing against the addition of a band in the same vein.

It makes me think that we don't have yet another fine blues-influenced hard-rock band in PA : 10 years after...

I believe their case is special, unlike the bands mentioned by you (Except Uriah Heep who IMO have 3 100% Prog albums), TITANIC has a very strong psyche connection and a clear Latin sound like Santana and an almost full Prog album like Eagle Rock..

Plus every band is an individual case.

To be honest, I believe TITANIC is a late Proto Prog band, but we have limited parameters of time and their most Prog albums are post 1970.

Yes, I still believe we are talking about a PR band. in the Prog Archives context.

Iván 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 22 2009 at 10:38

ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 12:36
That would be a very good idea to include Titanic in the archives. I must smile while I read that once a band is rejected, he can't make a second chance. Bowie has been rejected several times and he is in, so???

This band is part of my youth (unfortunately very little info is circulating about them). I was delighted by their first album which is a great heavy-prog one with lots of keys (Searchin', I See No Reason).

The relation with Santana is only valid for their gorgeous single ''Sultana'' IMO.

I would vote ''yes'' to their entry here (but I don't have the right to vote). So would be my vote for TYA (ooooops: Ten Years After).
ZowieZiggy
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 14:03
Originally posted by ZowieZiggy ZowieZiggy wrote:

That would be a very good idea to include Titanic in the archives. I must smile while I read that once a band is rejected, he can't make a second chance. Bowie has been rejected several times and he is in, so???

This band is part of my youth (unfortunately very little info is circulating about them). I was delighted by their first album which is a great heavy-prog one with lots of keys (Searchin', I See No Reason).

The relation with Santana is only valid for their gorgeous single ''Sultana'' IMO.

I would vote ''yes'' to their entry here (but I don't have the right to vote). So would be my vote for TYA (ooooops: Ten Years After).

Bowie was added to Prog-Related, therefore didn't go through 'normal' channels - i.e. genre team evaluation. Titanic were evaluated by the HP team at the end of January, and the result was that none of the team members (The Whistler, The Quiet One and I) thought the material we listened to was progressive enough. If that makes us incompetent to judge, so be it. However, I would think our work deserves a modicum of respect, and not to be ridiculed in the general forum.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 14:12
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Bowie was added to Prog-Related, therefore didn't go through 'normal' channels - i.e. genre team evaluation. Titanic were evaluated by the HP team at the end of January, and the result was that none of the team members (The Whistler, The Quiet One and I) thought the material we listened to was progressive enough. If that makes us incompetent to judge, so be it. However, I would think our work deserves a modicum of respect, and not to be ridiculed in the general forum.

Raff, why do you think that Zowie opinion is ridiculed???

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 14:16
Perhaps you should read his post again....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 14:21
ah the TYA thing.... mmmm

ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 06:00
Originally posted by Alberto Muñoz Alberto Muñoz wrote:

Pass it on to the PR team then. They should try and listen to their first album.(which can easily fit in HP though).

I read my post again, and by no means did I say that you were incompetent to judge. I have a lot of respect for PA's teams and their work. This doesn't mean that I always agree.  And by no means did I ''ridiculed'' anybody. These were just facts.

In your aggressive Cryanswer you mentioned some insides that a simple reviewer as I am is not aware of. It was just a general remark: I could have taken Metallica or other bands to highlight my point. I just took took Bowie for obvious reasons and it was the first one who came to my mind.

Cheers anyway and keep on with your excellent work (and I sincerely mean it).

Daniel.

Raff, why do you think that Zowie opinion is ridiculed???
ZowieZiggy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 17:52
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

As a fact, I believe they are better in Prog Related, because despite the obvious Prog elements, they were mainly a Hard Rock band with strong Psyche conections, but not purely Prog.

Iván

I second ivàn and Zowie on this issue

They're worth more than related
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 17:56
Ivan said they are better suited for Related, and I think I told him that there were two negative votes out of three in our team. I may even decide to have them re-evaluated, but then I'll ask everyone else to do the same for bands that have been rejected outright. I don't see why we have to be singled out in this. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 18:08

Ivan said they are better suited for Related, and I think I told him that there were two negative votes out of three in our team. I may even decide to have them re-evaluated, but then I'll ask everyone else to do the same for bands that have been rejected outright. I don't see why we have to be singled out in this. 

I absolutelñy respect your opinion, and honestly believe they are the perfect Prog related band, Prog, but not 100%.

Iván

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 19:06
prog related it is, then

sorry for misrteading
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 19:54
Titanic is currently being evaluated by the Admin team. At the moment we simply do not have enough votes to give an answer.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>