Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX
    Posted: June 03 2009 at 07:29
Thanks God and all ProgArchives members for the beneficial and helpful information about progressive rock.

You here now are letting me know a lot, particularly about your native progressive rock bands.
At first I've been ashamed of my ignorance about my native (Japanese) ones for a long time and posted above-mentioned thread.
I was so glad that you could discuss with me at once and give me suggestion about not only your native but also Japanese ones.

Looking for and studying them later could notify me how wonderful Japanese progressive rock scene is.
Recently my pleasure is searching and hearing Japanese progressive rock stuffs, whether added in PA library or not.
(Surely my interest in my native rock history will never die till I myself die.)

Now folks...Please let me tell about Japanese progressive rock scene!

Attention please...this blog is (and will be) made up of my personal opinions and thoughts, but...

• Here I will select albums I can define as progressive ones.
    Some albums recommended here will not be added in PA library but I would like you to listen to almost all.
    Therefore, I'm very happy you (especially Collaborators) can try to add some of them in Library if you get interested in.

• As I've mentioned, getting lots of the informations is like as one of my duties.
    Your precious information will be treasures in my life. Please give me your gems!

• Here sometimes I would run off and please you permit me derailed.
    Also please accept me humble English.

• Welcome are your appreciations or comments for me and my recommendation.

• Honestly it's better a practitioner should be a person of leisure (because you bet, there are very few patients with pain).
    A pause in updating this blog is remarkably unhappy for us.
    And surely my interest in my native rock history will never die till I myself die.

Well let's get started...with my favourite whisky Nikka Taketsuru!

Beer

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 10 2013 at 03:49
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 07:31
Whatever happened, please let me say at first Aburadako and Jagatara are my favourites.
Both of them can support Japanese underground rock scene...though sadly Jagatara had broken up about 20 years before.
About Aburadako I'll introduce maybe next time and...today my recommendation is GOKUTSUBUSHI by Jagatara.

Yeah I wanna say what a wonderful creation this album is!
Jagatara is a Japanese funk and jazz-rock outfit formed in 1979 by Akemi Edo, the key spirit.
(Oh, sure...we Japanese should chuckle at calling them as a jazz-rock band.)

At very first Jagatara was thought as an eccentric band with some cake-and-sodomy performances on stage - coming from Akemi's frank criticism of the dirty society.
Oto joined in 1981 with improving their musical style and ability.
After releasing the first album "NAMBAN-TORAI" Jagatara was appreciated by lots of reviewer (including me :-D).
This "GOKUTSUBUSHI" ("Idler" in English) is the third, and the last album released before Akemi's death.
(On January 27 1990, Akemi died of an accidental drowning on taking a bath.)

The first track "SUPER STAR?" occupies all of the LP's A-side.
Sorry but I can't help weeping for the beginning - plaintive string sounds!
Why? These sounds remind me of Akemi's fierce, heroic but sad life.
A story of a homosexual super star - a dangerous story of his fame and fate - could be sung and producted by Akemi's dry, aggressive voice and powerful instruments.
What should he tell in the suite? I guess the answer be in the last part..."Be reborn, come back, and croon with me, as a previous yourself, A MAN!"
He might sing with telling about a crazy world...of course without pros and cons for gays.
Over 23 minutes is not too long for me. Akemi, you must be a super star!

The second "BIG DOOR" and the last "MUSIC MUSIC" are exactly improvisational songs recorded at only one session.
Funky, freaky, jazzy, and progressive sounds and voices are around them.
The quality of their session(s) might not be so high but at the same time I feel they (particularly Akemi) could do what they think and want to do.
Jagatara be very vivid and lively in this work...then, now, and forever.

Folks, enjoy it, and weep with me.

Thank you for reading this blog. 

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 10 2013 at 04:03
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 07:32
Waiting for this !, please state if lyrics are in Japaneese or not, as im looking for Prog with Japaneese
Lyrics, so that i can pick it up next time im in Fukuoka.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 18:02
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Waiting for this !, please state if lyrics are in Japaneese or not, as im looking for Prog with Japaneese
Lyrics, so that i can pick it up next time im in Fukuoka.

Thanks tamijo, you're always supporting Japanese rock and me.
When you come to Fukuoka, Japan, please enjoy Chinese noodle at some sidewalk stands.
And...Japanese Sake or distilled Shochu made in Kyushu are very good.

Anyway, this Jagatara was a band with voices, guitars, percussions, and a heavy brass section.
They had tried to criticise the Japanese society and government in those days and the lyrics show evidently their thought and policy (indeed Akemi's lyrics are almost Japanese and uneasy to understand even for us Japanese).
However, their play itself can let us enjoy, dance and get to be happy.
Highly recommended.
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plankowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 19:21
I'll be very interested in this blog.  I've had my share of Sake, Kirin, and Saparo Tongue  I lived two years in Yokosuka, but spent every minute I could in Roppongi.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2009 at 20:09
I absolutely love almost everything I've heard out of Japan, favorites include Flat 122, Le Silo, Interpose+, Muddy World, a country that seems to spare no expense when it comes to their prog and fusion

Clap

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 01:37
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

I'll be very interested in this blog.  I've had my share of Sake, Kirin, and Saparo Tongue  I lived two years in Yokosuka, but spent every minute I could in Roppongi.

Hehe, you can drink as MUCH as ME...? LOL
In Tokyo, there are lots of progressive CDs moving me!

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I absolutely love almost everything I've heard out of Japan, favorites include Flat 122, Le Silo, Interpose+, Muddy World, a country that seems to spare no expense when it comes to their prog and fusion

Clap

I strongly agree with you. Clap
A few weeks before I've got very amazed at Le Silo's 8.8 (see my review).
There may be plenty of gems in Japan and I dig many of them now and forever...with sparing slight expense. Embarrassed

Edited by DamoXt7942 - June 04 2009 at 01:39
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 01:48
I haven't heard much Japanese Prog, but my current favourite album is japanese: Never Wear Out Your Summer XXX!!!, what a mindf**kblowing album! NuJazz at it's best. Therefore, I'll be reading your blog 100% attentive! 
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muņoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 16:26
Damo here's one that you can listen and is very good:

Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muņoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 16:28
Also you have to read this:

Pure Jap prog perfection:

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 18:27
Thanks for your comments, harmonium.ro and Alberto Muņoz! Big smile
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I haven't heard much Japanese Prog, but my current favourite album is japanese: Never Wear Out Your Summer XXX!!!, what a mindf**kblowing album! NuJazz at it's best. Therefore, I'll be reading your blog 100% attentive! 

Pity that I've not heard NATSUMEN yet (the album recommended by you I do wanna listen to!)... Embarrassed
Indeed it's a serious problem we Japanese do not spend money for wonderful progressive stuffs as Atavachron has said, but another problem is, I'm sure, sometimes we CANNOT get what we want. Cry
I guess Amazon, HMV, etc. should have some by them...okay I'll try. Wink
Originally posted by Alberto Muņoz Alberto Muņoz wrote:

Also you have to read this:

Pure Jap prog perfection:

Always thanks for your brilliant reviews, Alberto. Clap
I have JAPROCKSAMPLER and have already read it twice or so.
This should be very interesting and let me know a lot about 70s Japanese bands and the history.
Julian might have strong likes and dislikes about Japanese bands and this textbook shows his character evidently...
We "students" have to read it objectively and digest for ourselves.

BENZAITEN...very religious and amazing I feel! Star
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memowakeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 23:19
Cool Damo, i like a lot some Japanese prog, right now i would like to suggest this album

Outer Limits Stromatolite album cover
This album was the return of this great symphonic prog band from your country, they released Stromatolite in 2007 almost 20 years after their last one, and it was an outstanding comeback, that album was my No.1 album from the 2007 list. I simply love it

Some reviews, including mine here:

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 00:33
My knowledge of Japanese prog is fairly limited, though one of my favorite bands is from Japan, Koenjihyakkei - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=121

They're Zeuhl, so a fair warning to you if you've otherwise managed to stay away from the genre.

I see now that I'm writing this that you've already listened to one of their albums, still, it never hurts to mention them.
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 03:19

Far East Family Band and Acid Mother's Temple are must haves in your collection.

jon 89
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 03:21
Also Les Rallzies Denudes is must have
jon 89
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 03:24
Konchiwa Damo San Ogenki Desu Ka? Its your old friend Moonooffruits96 from Australia from Aural Moon orginally
jon 89
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 07:48
Thank you memowakeman, SaltyJon, and Jon89! Clap

Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Cool Damo, i like a lot some Japanese prog, right now i would like to suggest this album

Outer Limits Stromatolite album cover
This album was the return of this great symphonic prog band from your country, they released Stromatolite in 2007 almost 20 years after their last one, and it was an outstanding comeback, that album was my No.1 album from the 2007 list. I simply love it

Some reviews, including mine here:

Your inputs always light my fire, I'm so glad.
Outer Limits is, I think too, one of the most terrific symphonic bands in Japan.
Sadly "STROMATOLITE" I've not heard yet but your recommendation and your brilliant review again could light my fire!

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

My knowledge of Japanese prog is fairly limited, though one of my favorite bands is from Japan, Koenjihyakkei - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=121

They're Zeuhl, so a fair warning to you if you've otherwise managed to stay away from the genre.

I see now that I'm writing this that you've already listened to one of their albums, still, it never hurts to mention them.

Yep, as you've said, my first Japanese Zeuhl was "NIVRAYM 2009 edition".
My next one was Happy Family's "TOSCCO".
Both are important for my progressive rock experience.

Originally posted by Jon89 Jon89 wrote:

Far East Family Band and Acid Mother's Temple are must haves in your collection.

Wow, haven't seen ya for a long time, Jon89!
ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE is one of the most favourite bands (please see my reviews).
They always shoot noisy, religious, and eccentric albums...those should freeze me strictly.
Speed Guru Makoto Kawabata is a real guru.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 10:24
Damo!!!   There are so many amazing bands from Japan dude. HAPPY FAMILY is a must(both albums),AMYGDALA's latest "Complex Combat" is a huge fav of mine.On their debut they used a drum machine but on this one they asked the drummer from the incredible band ONE SHOT to play.He did!  FAR OUT is another fav.So psychedelic and Krauty,they of course evolved into FAR EAST FAMILY BAND. NAIKAKU has this guitarist who's "lights out" good. KOREKYOJIN's "Arabesque" is another favourite. POCHAKAITE MALKO is a must(any album). If you want to go old school BI KYO RAN's debut hits the spot for me. MONO's "You Are there" is a post rock gem. BONDAGE FRUIT(debut) and RUINS "Symphonica"  are two more outstanding discs.  Have a drink on me Damo!
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 11:25
Japan just has an absolutely unbelievable prog scene...terrific blog!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 12:03
I know very little about the Japanese scene.....BUT......this is one of the very few 5 star ratings I have given around this place.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>