Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Popular Prog Bands that you just can't get into
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopular Prog Bands that you just can't get into

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:04
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Dead

Rush. I never understood all the fuss about them. Good musicians, though not as exceptional as their fans try to make them, but the music is nothing special at all.

I notice you added this as an edit. Not only is it churlish.....after all, did I or anyone criticize Magmas musicianship? Not only that, but what makes YOU...........a better judge than Rush fans?

Dead

Excuse me? I fully stated they are good musicians. I just don't buy that Neil Peart is the überdrummer who is miles ahead of any others. He is a very good drummer, but there are several other drummers who are equally good. This is what I want to put into perspective, and nothing else. Many bands have great musicians, not just Rush; that is all I wanted to state. Got it now?

No way! He's not the best ever? LOL  
Of course there are other great drummers. Dave Weckl and Gavin Harrison are two drummers, IMO, that are much better than Peart, but I still love his style of playing.

Rush is a love 'em or hate 'em band. It is what it is.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:08

Dead

Rush. I never understood all the fuss about them. Good musicians, though not as exceptional as their fans try to make them, but the music is nothing special at all.

I notice you added this as an edit. Not only is it churlish.....after all, did I or anyone criticize Magmas musicianship? Not only that, but what makes YOU...........a better judge than Rush fans?

Dead

Excuse me? I fully stated they are good musicians. I just don't buy that Neil Peart is the überdrummer who is miles ahead of any others. He is a very good drummer, but there are several other drummers who are equally good. This is what I want to put into perspective, and nothing else. Many bands have great musicians, not just Rush; that is all I wanted to state. Got it now?

Many bands have great musicians? Wow ain't that controversial! Do I get it? Sorry...I'm too feeble to undrrstand your big words....Cry

I couldn't really give a damn about your opinion.,
GOT IT?

You obviously have not understood a word I wrote. I was not even criticizing the musicians of Rush. The only thing I criticize is the behaviour of their fans. I have nothing against people liking certain musicians; everyone has their favourite one, and that's fine with me. I have my personal favorites too. But I am not declaring them to be über-musicians. The musicians of Rush are excellent; I never doubted that. So where is your problem?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:10
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Camel, Caravan, and Gong...boring blah!
Shocked

Ok so you don't like them but that knife turning at the end!  To say GONG are boring (Cotton Buds needed) NEVER boring NEVER conventional (Unlike most modern prog and a lot of old).

Ouch

(Does Rick Wakeman count?  LOL)

I have tried so hard to give all of them a chance over and over. Camel I can somewhat get into but it would never be a play for enjoyment. And there is boring unconventional music. Gong happens to be one of those. Cry
Never mind I would give up.  Enjoyment being a pretty important product of music!  There is plenty more good music out there to explore,,  One day you may find you appreciate GONG - I'll have to think about a boring unconventional band?  Confused Big smile Floating Anarchieee!
Help me I'm falling!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:11

Dead

Dead

Many bands have great musicians? Wow ain't that controversial! Do I get it? Sorry...I'm too feeble to undrrstand your big words....Cry

I couldn't really give a damn about your opinion.,
GOT IT?

You obviously have not understood a word I wrote. I was not even criticizing the musicians of Rush. The only thing I criticize is the behaviour of their fans. I have nothing against people liking certain musicians; everyone has their favourite one, and that's fine with me. I have my personal favorites too. But I am not declaring them to be über-musicians. The musicians of Rush are excellent; I never doubted that. So where is your problem?

I apologise. I should have kept my annoyance in check. 

BTW......I understood...don't patronise me please.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:15
Let's see, the Flower Kings are a pretty obvious choice. I don't see their genius, they seem pretty standard to me.

I've taken a couple listens to Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, and I have to say that it hasn't helped me appreciate Magma at all. So far to me it only sounds like weird chanting and singing. I'm not reviewing the album though until I feel I 'get' what all their fans are raving about.

Also I do enjoy Frank Zappa a bit, but I'm afraid his somewhat more fusiony stuff like The Grand Wazoo sounds kind of boring to me.

That's about it.

mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:15
Gentle Giant for me.
Please forgive me for my crappy english!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:18

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Camel, Caravan, and Gong...boring blah!
Shocked

Ok so you don't like them but that knife turning at the end!  To say GONG are boring (Cotton Buds needed) NEVER boring NEVER conventional (Unlike most modern prog and a lot of old).

Ouch

(Does Rick Wakeman count?  LOL)

I have tried so hard to give all of them a chance over and over. Camel I can somewhat get into but it would never be a play for enjoyment. And there is boring unconventional music. Gong happens to be one of those. Cry
I found that I really like Camel's debut and Moonmadness is pretty good too.  I haven't heard Mirage except for a couple of songs.  I find that Snow Goose has a couple of really good moments, but mostly falls under the boring.  I've only listened to a little bit of Gong, but what I have heard was too strange for my tastes.  Still, if I happen across any of their other albums in the used section I'll probably be sure to check them out.
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:25
The first one that springs to mind is Jethro Tull. I can't see them as anything special.

And to a lesser extent, ELP (although I've perhaps not given them a fair chance)
Steven in Atlanta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:43
And I concur with the others before me as Rush has never appealed to me in the slightest. Great musicians with great chops, no doubt, but their albums leave me completely unmoved. Different strokes, I guess.
SergiUriah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 15:47
Although a few songs from these bands may be interesting for me....

PINK FLOYD

TANGERINE DREAM

FLOWER KINGS

LE ORME

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:02
There are quite a few that I'm just not into anymore.  It's common for music to pall over time for me.  With Rush, some of the music clicked in a big way, but I never developed much appreciation for the band (some albums I certainly enjoyed).  Really, I haven't put much effort into trying to get into bands.  If an album doesn't have quick appeal, I don't force the album or band's stuff on myself.  I like what I like and don't expect others to have the same tastes (of course there are those who share similar tastes to mine), and I don't expect to like what others really like (unless I already know that we share similar tastes).

I can't think of cases where I took to a band only after making an effort (sometimes one may start with the wrong album, or piece of music....). The appreciation comes quickly for me with ones I really like, it's just that with some the appreciation deepens over time.

Actually, there was one that I felt I misjudged at first, but can't remember what it was -- not a favourite, anyway.  Oh yeah, Radiohead.  Mea culpa, I didn't know enough of the music and had some misconceptions, but I didn't make an effort, I just happened to hear more material that immediately appealed. 

EDIT: Sorry for digressing from the topic, but for me I see little point in trying hard to get into bands and certain types of music when there is already such a  huge amount of music that will appeal (fit my tastes).  I still like to explore outside my comfort zone, and may find at some time that music that would not appeal to me at this stage in my musical journey may appeal at a later time (it can take musical steeping stones to get there).  But I'm lazy.... If I'm not intrigued at the least, to start with, by the music, then it's unlikely that forcing myself would make me appreciate more (might even make me hate it more). 

Edited by Logan - June 12 2009 at 16:23
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:03
VDGG, King Crimson, all the Krautrock I've heard without exception, Can, Gong, Magma, Zappa, The Mars Volta, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum; anything dark or avant garde.

I used to include Gentle Giant and Strawbs in this group, but I now love both these bands. ELP are also just beginning to grow on me after years of indifference.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:05
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

VDGG, King Crimson, all the Krautrock I've heard without exception, Can, Gong, Magma, Zappa, The Mars Volta, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum; anything dark or avant garde.

I used to include Gentle Giant and Strawbs in this group, but I now love both these bands. ELP are also just beginning to grow on me after years of indifference.

You are missing out on all the good stuff. Wink

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:06

No doubt! Half of those listed are in my top 10 favorites!
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:06
Pink Floyd
listen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:13
Kraftwerk
Dream Theater
Neu!
Queen

to some extent:
Supertramp
Zappa
Bacamarte
Focus
Hawkwind
Ozric Tentacles
Los Jaivas

To a lesser extent
Gentle Giant
pre-'74 Tangerine Dream
Gong
Mahavishnu Orchestra
MDK by Magma (love Kohntarkosz..)
Radiohead
The Strawbs
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Deep Purple
Gryphon
Faust

Edited by listen - June 13 2009 at 21:27
Now is all there is. Be before you think!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:20

I think it's a good job you and I don't live in the same house! I suspect our tastes are diammetrically opposite.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
listen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:22
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Let's see, the Flower Kings are a pretty obvious choice. I don't see their genius, they seem pretty standard to me.

I've taken a couple listens to Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, and I have to say that it hasn't helped me appreciate Magma at all. So far to me it only sounds like weird chanting and singing. I'm not reviewing the album though until I feel I 'get' what all their fans are raving about.

Also I do enjoy Frank Zappa a bit, but I'm afraid his somewhat more fusiony stuff like The Grand Wazoo sounds kind of boring to me.

That's about it.

I have trouble with MDK too. Have you tried Kohntarzosz?
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:25
I have to add, almost any music that is simply weird, like GSYBE. If it doesn't have a decent melody, it's just not an enjoyment. I guess I'm not artsy fartsy enuff.

Ouch
listen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:30

for you, that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>