Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Popular Prog Bands that you just can't get into
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopular Prog Bands that you just can't get into

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:40
Gentle Giant, i've tried a couple times. But im sure they'll click soon. VDGG i used to sort of like but not really get the fuss, untill Still Life clicked, now i love them.
The only band so far i havnt been able to get into is Dream Theater, i find a good couple riffs in there, but they always seem to be so over the top, all my friends love them, and have loved them for a long time, so i dont think ill ever really like them.
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:57
I can't get into Rush: the various songs from their first albums I heard made me think of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and even Queen, but in an irritating way to me.
I had 1 CD from Marillion - "Fugazi"; I listened "Thieving Magpie" and songs from various albums: I get a little bored. Same thing with Pendragon.
And I get über-bored with Anekdoten and Kayo Dot. Really. Oh, and Radiohead, too.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 16:59
Wow, this thread just got started and already three pages.  First off I just want to say that if you don't like a band I think is da bomb, you're obviously a jerk and have bad taste in music.

But seriously, there's so much stuff out there under the prog umbrella and so much variety, you're not going to find anyone that likes all the popular prog bands.  If you criticize, be fair.

Wait.  You don't like Radiohead?  Who could possibly not like Radiohead?LOL

I think the real gems are found in the artists off the beaten path.

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

You obviously have not understood a word I wrote. I was not even criticizing the musicians of Rush. The only thing I criticize is the behaviour of their fans. I have nothing against people liking certain musicians; everyone has their favourite one, and that's fine with me. I have my personal favorites too. But I am not declaring them to be über-musicians. The musicians of Rush are excellent; I never doubted that. So where is your problem?

Beware of the rabid fan boy or girl.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 12 2009 at 18:57
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 17:09
Originally posted by listen listen wrote:

Rush. I never understood all the fuss about them.* Good musicians, though not as exceptional as their fans try to make them, but the music is nothing special at all.

for you, that is.

It is probably special for many people from the North American continent, simply because the first prog band they ever come in contact with is Rush, and first loves are always special. But that's not the way it happened with me.
I grew up with the music my brother, who is ten years older than I am, listened to, and after a short period, during which he was a big Genesis fan, he started discovering new bands on his own. At first he bought albums by bands he had heard the names of by friends, then he simply bought any album of which he liked the cover, which made him discover Hawkwind and Gong. Some of his friends were big into Krautrock, and for the stoned-out brain he had at that time it was just the right thing. I am responsible for his discovery of VdGG, since I bought him "Godbluff" for his 17th birthday; I liked the Escher-inspired band logo.
My parents are not interested in music at all (strange but true), so he was my first and only source of music when I was a little kid. And I was fascinated by all these strange sounds; I had never thought such sounds could be possible. That bit of music I heard on the radio which was played during short breaks while my father listened to the live commentating of the saturday football matches had nothing at all to do with the stuff my brother heard. It was like music from another planet for me.
The first time I heard Rush was years later, and while I acknowledged their advanced musicianship I did not see anything special in them at all, not after all the things I had already heard.
That is how I grew up. I fully understand that for people who first came in contact with prog through Rush they must mean a lot more to them; it just is not the case with me.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 12 2009 at 17:09

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 17:20
Yes
ELP
Camel
Caravan
Porcupine Tree (or anything that Steven Wilson has written)
Rush
Deep Purple
Supertramp
Harmonium
Umphry's McGee
Shadow Gallery
Anathema
Green Carnation
Ayreon
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Henry Cow

Edited by sleeper - June 13 2009 at 04:45
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 17:54
Dream Theater
Marillion - any neo prog
The Flower Kings
Translantic - very cheesy! - really anyting DT related
Pain of Salvation - all the typical Prog Metal Bands

Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:01

It is probably special for many people from the North American continent, simply because the first prog band they ever come in contact with is Rush, and first loves are always special. But that's not the way it happened with me.

For me it was Queen, Yes, ELP, and Genesis in the mid-70s. And I'm almost on the USA/Canada border. I didn't hear Rush until I was 15. It was an instant love. Geddy's vox didn't even bug me.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:14
  • ELP
  • Dream Theater
  • Änglagård
  • Pain of Salvation
  • Bacamarte
  • Ayreon
  • Marillion + most neo-prog
  • The Flower Kings
  • The Moody Blues
  • Devin Townsend
  • The Decemberists
  • Kansas
  • Oceansize
  • Koenjihyakkei
  • Le Orme
Need I say more? Most of these bands are not awful by any means, I'm just relatively indifferent to their particular brand of progressive rock.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:16
Queen

Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:30
The two main ones that obviously have very devoted fans that I just can't see the "special" in are VDGG and IQ.

I've tried really really hard with VDGG, I own Pawn Hearts, Godbluff, and H to He, and I will bring one out every few months to try again, hoping that the lightbulb will click on...so far, no such luck. I mean, I do like them, but only in a "yeah, that was ok" kind of way, certainly not in the same way others seem to.

With IQ, I've always found them to be a poor man's Marillion; very melodic, and I can't fault the musicians...but their songs always seem to lack that special "hook" that makes me want to hum along. Once again, I do enjoy them from time to time, and I keep trying (the new one, Frequency, I actually like more than the others I've heard), but so far I haven't heard anything that would explain in my head the rabid fan base they have. To be fair, I guess I'm not much of a neo-prog fan as I've always found Pendragon over-rated as well (but I absolutely adore the Fish-led Marillion...go figure).

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:39
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I've taken a couple listens to Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, and I have to say that it hasn't helped me appreciate Magma at all. So far to me it only sounds like weird chanting and singing. I'm not reviewing the album though until I feel I 'get' what all their fans are raving about.

That's what also happened to me. I can't understand why people recommend MDK as a starting point for Magma. It's very abstract and the chorus sings very agressive. Not a pleasant experience at all. But then it all changed when I got K.A., their latest album from 2004. It's wonderful! A lot of melody and passion, and very enjoyable overall. There's even of large portion of superb fusion on that record. Two weeks ago I saw them live and they were fabulous. It seems indeed they're in great shape in the 00s.

Up till now there is only one band which I couldn't get into, CAN. But every time this happened to me I could get over the issue after multiple listens or different approach of the discography. I suppose next time will be easier, like it always is.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:42
One name for all: Dream Theater - and I own seven of their albumsUnhappy. Tried and tried, but just don't get them. I am equally indifferent to most of the 'traditional' prog-metal bands I have heard so far (with the notable exception of Queensryche), while I find the other two PM subgenres much more interesting.

Edited by Raff - June 12 2009 at 18:43
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:47
There are a few that I can understand why I don't like them, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Van der Graaff Generator to name a few of the classics.  They're either too folksy or eclectic for my tastes.

The one that I truly don't understand is Yes.  I don't care for Yes and I don't know why.  I absolutely love Genesis and most symphonic music, but I've tried time and time again to appreciate Yes but it just doesn't happen.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:49
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

There are a few that I can understand why I don't like them, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Van der Graaff Generator to name a few of the classics.  They're either too folksy or eclectic for my tastes.

The one that I truly don't understand is Yes.  I don't care for Yes and I don't know why.  I absolutely love Genesis and most symphonic music, but I've tried time and time again to appreciate Yes but it just doesn't happen.

What albums have you heard from Yes? I'm sure you've heard their classics, but I'm really curious, since you pretty much adore The Flower Kings, both do share stuff.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 18:53
Mars Volta is the only prog rock band that I sincerely and strongly dislike.

Dream Theaterwould be another one, although I do like them, I just can't get into them very strongly.

Symphony X is technically brilliant, but I find their level of cheese to be a huge turn-off...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:00
Well, I was going to add another witty comment, but I can't get into this thread. Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:21
Originally posted by souio souio wrote:

Everyone has a band that seems to be immensely popular on this site that just doesn't seem to click with people.  For me, it's IQ....

You nailed it.  Sometimes, IQ songs will have a great opening, but then disappoint with the main body of the song.  I have that same disappointment with "Incommunicado" from Marillion 'Clutching at Straws' - and just about all Hogarth-era Marillion (except for "Interior Lulu" - that is a great song...)
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:25
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

For me it was Queen, Yes, ELP, and Genesis in the mid-70s. And I'm almost on the USA/Canada border. I didn't hear Rush until I was 15. It was an instant love. Geddy's vox didn't even bug me.

Well, but I was already in love with all the weirdo stuff (Magma, Gong, RIO), and if Rush are anything, weird they are not.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:34
^^Man we get it.......youi don't like Rush...move on already!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 19:51
hmm.. Spock's Beard, Focus, Umphreys McGee, Cynic, Robert Wyatt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>