FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGong confirm details of new album "2032"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gong confirm details of new album "2032"
    Posted: July 12 2009 at 09:43
Gong's hotly tipped new studio album, "2032", is released on Monday 21st September 2009 on the band's G-Wave label, in association with A-Wave, the label of Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy's successful dance music project System 7.  International licensing and distribution is handled in the UK by SRD.

The highly anticipated new album will be supported by a nationwide UK tour that starts at the Bristol O2 Academy on 19th November.  Box Office: 08700 603 777, www.seetickets.com

Produced and engineered by Hillage at A-Wave Studios, London, additional production was conceived by Daevid Allen at Bananamoon Observatory in NSW, Australia.

Described as exhilarating, compelling and other worldly, "2032" represents the first time Hillage has recorded with original Gong founder, Daevid Allen, since 1974's "You" album.

"2032" is a new instalment that continues the Gong's famous 'Radio Gnome' album trilogy which includes the milestone psychedelic progressive rock albums - "Flying Teapot" (1973), "Angel's Egg" (1973), and "You" (1974).

The album line-up includes Daevid Allen (guitar, lead vocal), Steve Hillage (lead guitar), Gilli Smyth (Space Whisper and poetry), Miquette Giraudy (synthesiser), Mike Howlett (bass), Chris Taylor (drums), and Theo Travis (sax and flute).

Special guest performances on some tracks include former Gong member Didier Malherbe (soprano sax, duduk, and flute) and Yuji Katsui (electric violin) of the Japanese progressive/psychedelic jam band Rovo.

"2032 is when Planet Gong makes full contact with the Planet Earth; and a major new chapter in the continually evolving Gong mythology," says Daevid Allen.

The premise behind "2032" is that Gong exists in our solar system as an evolved and peaceful planet operating as a unified field of high frequency matter which renders it virtually invisible to Earth.  Its representatives, the Octave Doctors, first visited Earth during the late sixties when hopes were high for a shift towards world peace.

Upon their return, they have opted to survey our progress and have made an offer of assistance at this decisive time in our planetary history. The year 2032 is thought to be the time when the existence of Planet Gong will be officially recognised by astronomers on Earth and will signal the first public arrival of these space visitors.

A Japanese animation video will also be released "How To Stay Alive", one of the tracks featured on the forthcoming album. 

"2032" Album Tracklisting:
  1. City of Self Fascination
  2. Digital Girl
  3. How To Stay Alive
  4. Escape Control Delete
  5. Yoni Poem
  6. Dance With The Pixies
  7. Wacky Baccy Banker
  8. The Year 2032
  9. Robo-Warriors
  10. Guitar Zero
  11. The Gris Gris Girl
  12. Wave And A Particle
  13. Pinkle Ponkle
  14. Portal

1. City Of Self Fascination- One of the heaviest and freshest tracks Gong has ever made - a passionate message from space visitors on Earth with a completely modern sound.

2. Digital Girl - A modern sounding track about a new generation of 21st Century super fast thinking females, at a time when creating the truth becomes the political willand news becomes today's novel.

3. How To Stay Alive - Gong do a great sounding rap track - a message from the octave doctors liberally translated by Daevid Allen. An edit of this track will be Gong's new Japanese animated video, based around Daevid's celebrated Gong drawings and characters. The track ends in musical bliss with a trademark Gong "glissando" instrumental, including the sound of the duduk played by former Gong member Didier Malherbe.

4. Escape Control Delete- The surprise track of the album mixing a super-melodic riff with a classic beat from 70s German "krautrock" and a rich melodic song extolling the beauties and wonders of the Planet Gong. The track ends with a perfect Gong spacey guitar based instrumental section.

5. Yoni Poem / 6. Dance With The Pixies - Yoni is the eternal spirit of nature, the voice of animals, the smell of plants materialised into witches who move between that world and the world of. This 2-song suite starts with an edgy, abstract poem by Gilli Smyth and Miquette Giraudy that mutates into a bouncy groove about dancing pixies.

7. Wacky Baccy Banker - Crazy and punky, this song features a famous Gong mythology character code-named ˜The Switch Doctor', a prankster who adopts many human roles. Here he sings about his recent stint as a merchant banker. The direness of the credit crunch is transmuted by a searing guitar solo into a final dreamy glissando as the banker gets infected by Planet Gong telepathy (otherwise known as Radio Gnome).

8. The Year 2032 - A wistful and romantic song about the year 2032, when planet Gong makes official contact with planet Earth, putting our suffering and disastrous conflicts in deep perspective. This is a piece of pure Gong music, with soprano sax performed by special guest and original Gong member Didier Malherbe.

9. Robo-Warriors- Robo-Warriors are peace machines which can resolve the conflict of opposites by absorbing and transforming conflict into a single unified field. This is another piece of active poetry performed by Gilli backed with electronic beats by Miquette (showing her System 7 dance music hand).

10. Guitar Zero- A totally infectious guitar and drums groove, mixed with a chant looking towards a new peaceful future and a wild sax solo by Theo Travis.

11. The Gris Gris Girl- This is possibly the most sophisticated song on the album, with many changes and sections. The song itself is almost folky with driving acoustic guitar and flur by Didier Malherber.The story of the mystic female other half of the Switch Doctor, steeped in the magical traditions of New Orleans.

12. Wave And A ParticleNothing is solid. Everything is composed of dancing atoms, even human beings and especially solid things like tables. The 3rd of Gilli's poetry/electronics collaborations with Miquette sets up the album for the final phase.

13. Pinkle Ponkle- A completely mystical 5-4 tribal trance dance celebrating the unique Gong sound, encouraging people to be their own leader and preparing the opening of the direct portal to the planet Gong.

14. Portal- Things develop into a progressive Hillage instrumental composition that roars to a complex electric storm climax before gradually settling into a blissful and gentle floating end, The Portal is open.

To read the official UK announcement, click here -

OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 10:43
Stern Smile

Oh my god. OH MY GOD!!! GonG is back!

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 10:59
We're gonna have a busy September! Yeepee!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 11:07
sounds like it's going to be a great album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 12:17
I'm going to see them at Zeche/Bochum this week Smile

Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 12:58
Sweet. probably be a triple purchase, 2 vinyls and a CD..
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 13:17
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

I'm going to see them at Zeche/Bochum this week Smile

a good venue to see Gong. Zeche Bochum has quite an intimate atmosphere, and it may even be possible to swap a few words with some of the musicians

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
CucumberJones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 05:17
I have heard the new Gong album and it is MIND BLOWING.
lildabaduye View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 15:15

yeh Gong is back.  I used to have so many Gong albums....I loved them (not the same as the love affair with Crimson or ELP, but Gong was up there).  Glad to hear they are producing.  Anyone else feel the time is again ripe for a prog explosion?

Electric cheese, anyone?

djfake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 18:42
Sweet! This is great news. Also being released is Daevid Allen's Gong Dreaming II book! And possibly a US tour in December? Gong 40th hurrah!
Author, "The Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock"

www.progressiverock.com
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 10:21
^

Let's make that a North American tour Thumbs Up
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 10:23
Great news!  Looking forward to hearing it.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 20:01
Does anyone know when/where the new album will be available for pre-order? I want to make sure to get it as soon as I can. It sounds like it's going to be great. The only thing is, what's happening with Zero the Hero?
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 22:14
I'm really looking forward to this one, a lot more than I am the new Porcupine Tree album or any of the other releases due out (unless Magma finally releases a new studio album, in which case I'd say the two would be equal).
djfake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 05:50
Yeah, this is the one new release I'm really getting excited about. And the book. Not really holding my breath about the North American tour... Taylor and Howlett sound like one tight funky rhythm section on that clip.

more clips here, but I'm going to wait for the WHOLE BANANA! Also states "pre-order" soon...

http://www.planetgong.co.uk/bazaar/cd/2032.shtml

Have to admit, the PT Incident I'll probably just download until the 5.1 version comes out at a REASONABLE price.

www.progressiverock.com
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 07:29
The sound examples on the Planet Gong page are great; we are really looking forward to the album. But listen for yourself:

cover artwork
Gong
Wakyo WKYCD025 --> G-Wave AAGWCD001 || 2009.09.21 || available to pre-order soon
Click for big pic
Coming soon to a planet near you... 2009.09.21

'Never fight another war...'

Co-written by Daevid Allen, Steve Hillage, Miquette Giraudy and Gilli Smyth, with Mike Howlett and Chris Taylor. Produced and engineered by Steve Hillage at A-Wave Studios, London, with additional production by Daevid Allen at Bananamoon Observatory in Australia.
  1. City of Self Fascination - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  2. Digital Girl - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  3. How To Stay Alive - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  4. Escape Control Delete - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  5. Yoni Poem - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  6. Dance With The Pixies - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  7. Wacky Baccy Banker - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  8. The Year 2032 - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  9. Robo-Warriors - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  10. Guitar Zero - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  11. The Gris Gris Girl - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  12. Wave And A Particle - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  13. Pinkle Ponkle - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
  14. Portal - listen in mp3 0'45" | 705 KB
Musicians:
  • daevid allen - guitar and vocals
  • miquette giraudy - synthesizers
  • steve hillage - guitar and vocals
  • gilli smyth - vocals
  • mike howlett - bass
  • didier malherbe - soprano sax, flute
  • theo travis - sax, flute
  • chris taylor - drums
  • yuji katsui (Rovo) - electric violin

Edited by BaldFriede - August 18 2009 at 07:30

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 19:49
Thanks for the links Friede, I'm going to listen in now. 
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 18:49
The website still says "Available for pre-order soon."  I hope it is soon, before long the pre-order will be starting after the album's on the market...only 20 days off, and I'm really hoping to get one of the 1000 copies of the limited edition.  Hopefully they'll update soon.
djfake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 04:54
Well, Gong has never been one to do things with... precision. But I'm sure there will be enough for all. "limited edition" = enough to fill demand.

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

The website still says "Available for pre-order soon."  I hope it is soon, before long the pre-order will be starting after the album's on the market...only 20 days off, and I'm really hoping to get one of the 1000 copies of the limited edition.  Hopefully they'll update soon.

www.progressiverock.com
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 12:02
Well, the regular version is a full release, but they're releasing a limited edition version, 1000 copies, which includes the album on double LP as well as CD, etc.  I'm not worried about being able to get the regular edition, but I'd prefer to have the nice shiny limited version instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>