FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Happy Rhodes Topic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Happy Rhodes Topic
    Posted: August 06 2009 at 10:50

Fortunately not a completely unknown name to severall PA members, still a little publicity never harmed.

Quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Rhodes

Happy Rhodes (born August 9, 1965) is an American singer, songwriter, instrumentalist and electronic musician with a four octave vocal range. She has released 11 albums since 1986.

Rhodes received her first musical instrument, an acoustic guitar, as a gift from her mother, at age 11. At 14 she was performing original songs in school shows. She left school early at age 16, choosing to obtain a GED. From age 16 to 18, Rhodes began performing in "Open Mic Nights" at Caffè Lena in Saratoga, New York. During this period, Rhodes met Pat Tessitore, the owner of a recording studio, Cathedral Sound Studios in Rensselaer, and became a studio intern to learn recording techniques. Tessitore was impressed with Rhodes' voice and songwriting, and volunteered to record all of the songs she had written to that point.

Tessitore introduced Rhodes to Kevin Bartlett, a musician who had his own record label, Aural Gratification, and he urged her to gather up all the songs that she had recorded, to be released on cassette. She had enough songs to release three cassettes at the same time in 1986, Rhodes Vol. I, Rhodes Vol. II, and Rearmament. In 1987, she released the cassette of Ecto. Her first CD release was Warpaint, in 1991. The first four albums were only available on hand-dubbed cassettes until they were re-released on CD in 1992. For the CD releases, Rhodes Vol. I was re-named Rhodes I, and Rhodes Vol. II was re-named Rhodes II. Each of the CD re-releases contained bonus tracks not on the original cassettes. Aural Gratification released nine Happy Rhodes albums between 1986 and 1995, including Equipoise and RhodeSongs in 1993, Building The Colossus in 1994 and The Keep in 1995. Rhodes left Aural Gratification in 1998.[4]
Rhodes' 10th album, Many Worlds Are Born Tonight, was released in August 1998 by Samson Music, a label founded by Norm Waitt Jr., brother of Ted Waitt, co-founder of the Gateway Computer company. Rhodes was dropped from Samson when the label decided to concentrate on other genres of music and Samson transferred rights to the material back to Rhodes, as well as unsold product.
In 2001 Rhodes recorded an 11th album, called Find Me, which was released October 19, 2007.

Rhodes has cited Wendy Carlos, Kate Bush, Queen, Yes, David Bowie, Bach and Peter Gabriel as primary influences. Her father owned a large record collection which included Bagpipe music and Switched-On Bach, by the then-Walter Carlos. By age nine, Rhodes could sing along with every note from that album. As a teenager she discovered the music of Queen and was impressed by their harmonies, which she later emulated on her first few albums. When Rhodes was introduced at age 16 to Kate Bush's music by an English pen pal, she was impressed by Bush's original writing style, vocal abilities and independence as a female artist.

Listen. (Full discography)

Also worth a look: here and here (contains 5 full concerts about an hour and a half each).

List of concerts and respective tracklist.

Shorter videos:

Covers:
Bigger on the inside.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 11:35

She has an amazing voice.  She is Annie Lennox lows and Kate Bush highs in one person.  Great stuff, if you like Annie, Tori, and Kate, you will enjoy Happy. 

soundsweird View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 00:44
I have RhodeSongs, a compilation on Aural Gratification. It's got a couple of good songs, but many tracks are Kate Bush soundalikes and others are marred by 80's production values. I listened to "Many Worlds.." in a record store a few years ago, but didn't like it much. She does have a great voice and lots of potential, but I think she lacks the "originality gene", like 99+% of music artists. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 04:30
i thought this was a Fender Rhodes page Embarrassed 
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 04:58
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

She has an amazing voice.  She is Annie Lennox lows and Kate Bush highs in one person.

Must confess I never really heard any Lennox in her - her lows remind me a lot more of Catherine Ribeiro.

Originally posted by soundsweird soundsweird wrote:

I have RhodeSongs, a compilation on Aural Gratification. It's got a couple of good songs, but many tracks are Kate Bush soundalikes and others are marred by 80's production values. I listened to "Many Worlds.." in a record store a few years ago, but didn't like it much. She does have a great voice and lots of potential, but I think she lacks the "originality gene", like 99+% of music artists. 

Well, I don't really care for originality (after all, original music doesn't necessarily translate to good music), but I do care for talent and skills, and that, as you say, she has a lot. I can see why people bring Kate Bush to memory, but to me that's much more of a vocal comparisson that a musical one - I think her songwriting and composing is much closer to Queen and Bowie, only a lot more minimalist. Personaly I think Kate is a bit more limited.
I agree that are albums to have poor production, but one can't expect much more from a one-woman independent project. Personally I think she is a lot better live, and most of her songs sound better to me in that format rather than in the studio.  
Bigger on the inside.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 09:30
Recently found this 2007 interview with Happy Rhodes for progressive rock radio Delicious Agony: http://www.deliciousagony.com/interviews/Happy%20Rhodes%20Interview.m3u
Bigger on the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply