Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes people find Prog boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 36373839>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 06:55
I was about to post something and then remembered I'd said the exact same thing earlier on in the thread. 

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah I don't think most people find prog boring either. The most common thing I hear whenever I talk about prog with folks who aren't into the style is that it's too complicated or weird. 
I gather there are a lot of people out there who search for beauty and transcendence just like we do - only they look elsewhere. I have a friend who gets the same kind of thrill out of basejumping as I do listening to Pink Floyd. 
Hell we don't even have to shift the focus away from music. I think it's fair to think that some music fans get the same kind of emotional and spiritual response out of a modern pop song by Katy Perry as some old timer does listening to Mahavishnu. Everything else is just semantics and music snobbery.
Then again this whole thread consists of different people from different "eras" of PA all saying the exact same thingsLOL
Let's see now...:

'Poor attention spans'
'Lack of IQ'
'Not having been subjected to x music/art/whathaveyou'
'iPod generation'
etc
etc
etc

Funny thing is that there are just as many prog fans that tick the above mentioned boxesWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 07:16
^ the same could be said for the more complex types of prog that are rated poorly. Someone who thinks Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree are the most complex examples of prog are exactly in the same camp 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 07:26
I believe that certain folks do not have that exposure or the time for the length of the tracks which can be too long at times..
Personally after the 80s,  I found modern pop music also boring,  nothing excited  me anymore, always sounding the same.
The good thing with Prog music,  we now have sub-genres...........  I suppose if there was more coverage of the music,  more people will follow and take an interest.   Generally I find people are like sheep,  they like to follow a trend..
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 08:25
No one has ever told me that they thought prog was 'boring'.....but I do here the complaint that the songs are too long. So the instant or quicker gratification factor seems to certainly be in play here.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 08:45
I can't imagine anyone thinking Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Pink Floyd, Rush etc are boring but apparently some people do. A lot of newer bands get caught up in the instrumental and soloing aspect of prog it seems and are lacking in the song writing and melodic department. It's sort of like prog by numbers: start with an instrumental intro, introduce some vocals, then have a guitar solo, then keyboard solo, then more vocals, then another instrumental section, more singing and then another instrumental section to wind down the song. Before you know it ten minutes has passed and the band thinks to themselves "Good, we did it. that's long enough to be considered prog" and the band then congratulate themselves followed by a trip to the local pub where they celebrate having created something that they think only a few select people will get and appreciate without recognizing the fact that not only are literally hundreds of bands(if not thousands) doing the exact same thing but have already done the same thing. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 04 2018 at 08:48
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I can't imagine anyone thinking Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Pink Floyd, Rush etc are boring but apparently some people do. A lot of newer bands get caught up in the instrumental and soloing aspect of prog it seems and are lacking in the song writing and melodic department. It's sort of like prog by numbers: start with an instrumental intro, introduce some vocals, then have a guitar solo, then keyboard solo, then more vocals, then another instrumental section, more singing and then another instrumental section to wind down the song. Before you know it ten minutes has passed and the band thinks to themselves "Good, we did it. that's long enough to be considered prog" and the band then congratulate themselves followed by a trip to the local pub where they celebrate having created something that they think only a few select people will get and appreciate without recognizing the fact that not only are literally hundreds of bands(if not thousands) doing the exact same thing but have already done the same thing. 

I've literally heard people say Yes and King Crimson are boring bands.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 05:07
Popular mass culture in the early 80's - E.g. 'The Young Ones' - had lots of anti-prog scripted digs - Neil the hippy grooving to the white noise on the tele - Rick - making 'Genesis' (Ergo... Prog) synonymous with total-boredom....and I think that documentary on prog by the BBC had a sketch with a young band noodling some esoteric soundscape - when the drummer - shouts "sod this" and suddenly just bangs out a typical punk drum beat - which the bass guitarist and guitarist groove to and they suddenly start to "enjoy" themselves....next would be the singer screaming 'I am an antichrist' - and the punk is fun - prog is boring pastiche was complete.

Edited by M27Barney - January 05 2018 at 05:08
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 07:28
Neil was actually really prog, but the others were not so deep. (but probably closet fans)

Here's proof of Neil's total progness though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW5pq3Pp_bM&list=RDNW5pq3Pp_bM

Edited by january4mn - January 05 2018 at 13:57
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 07:30
Here's the part you were probably talking about. I'm sure he was a big fan actually!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTRwxZNETRs

Edited by january4mn - January 05 2018 at 14:00
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 07:41
^ ^^ You need to edit your links to remove a superfluous http:// at the start.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 08:05
Ultimately whether a melody, a groove, a mood, a riff, a voice gets you is very subjective and there are many people around who look for being emotionally attracted by these aspects of music in the first place. Some prog could cater for some of this but ultimately, for many people, these core elements in prog are too much driven in the background by other, often more intellectually than emotionally appealing, ingredients that leave them cold. I'm different, but I see nothing wrong with that, I've got to say. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 08:40
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Popular mass culture in the early 80's - E.g. 'The Young Ones' - had lots of anti-prog scripted digs - Neil the hippy grooving to the white noise on the tele - Rick - making 'Genesis' (Ergo... Prog) synonymous with total-boredom....

And yet Neil listened to Hawkwind and Marillion.

As for prog being boring, calling an entire genre of music boring has to be one of the most short sighted and ignorant things I've ever heard. Prog, like any genre of music, has many flavors. 

There are genres of music that I don't like and don't gravitate to, such as rap hip hop and country. However, even in those genres, there are a handful of songs that I enjoy and I would certainly never label the entire genre as boring.

Edited by Jeffro - January 05 2018 at 08:41
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 15:15
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Popular mass culture in the early 80's - E.g. 'The Young Ones' - had lots of anti-prog scripted digs - Neil the hippy grooving to the white noise on the tele - Rick - making 'Genesis' (Ergo... Prog) synonymous with total-boredom....and I think that documentary on prog by the BBC had a sketch with a young band noodling some esoteric soundscape - when the drummer - shouts "sod this" and suddenly just bangs out a typical punk drum beat - which the bass guitarist and guitarist groove to and they suddenly start to "enjoy" themselves....next would be the singer screaming 'I am an antichrist' - and the punk is fun - prog is boring pastiche was complete.

I think 'the Young Ones' fairly accurately (but satirically of course) represented the basic youth cultures found in student houses at the time. I was frequenting/ living in a squat in Bristol very near where some of the Young ones was filmed and although I wasnt at college at the time, I had a lot of student mates and their shared houses were worryingly very like the young ones household (except they didn't have Motorhead or Madness playing in their living room!WinkLOL)

ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 15:52
Prog isn't always melodic, moving or exciting. I expect that from all music. It can be prodding, ham-fisted, overly theatrical, forced or just noodling and understated. Reasons why exciting, fresh Prog can be misinterpreted as boring is lack of appreciation for typical non-obvious hooks, which may include lyrics, theme, certain instrumental elements, virtuoso playing, mood, message etc. These are just as important in prog as a dance beat or a macho verbal attitude might be for pop and hip hop in terms of securing enjoy-ability.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 11:33
People find prog boring simply because there's nobody handing out bread and jam just like any picnic...picnic...picnic...picnic...

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 08:24
Some Prog is boring.
Some Prog is not.

Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 18:17
I think it can be broken down into some people like more simplistic music that makes them feel a certain way based on either a beat or a harmony.
Once you get past that (and there is nothing wrong with liking for those reasons) you wither develops a desire to branch out into more complex musical structure s or not.You can lump prog in with jazz or classical or any type of instrumental based complex music.I almost think you can apply the same ideas to food.Someoeople have a more basic palette and size me people like to try all kinds of foods and like a great diversity and more complex and unique flavors.Some people are happy with the traditional foods they grew up with.Being we like more complex music Here doesn’t mean it’s for everybody.Those less adventurous just don’t have a taste for it.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 21:54
There's no accounting for boredom. I can't figure out why students find some of my lectures boring. One thing I have figured out is that they, the students themselves, are boring.

Short Pop songs with lots of repetition is boring to me. I guess that's why I find Gentle Giant boring.

Edited by HackettFan - January 16 2018 at 21:56
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 02:18
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

There's no accounting for boredom. I can't figure out why students find some of my lectures boring. One thing I have figured out is that they, the students themselves, are boring.

Short Pop songs with lots of repetition is boring to me. I guess that's why I find Gentle Giant boring.  

I see what you did there! LOL Wink

For real, though; I was having a good discussion with a client about how people themselves are boring, and that's the root cause.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 03:47
Again: I have never ever come across anyone who told me they find prog to be boring. Never. I've experienced the 'turn that weird sh*t off!!!' comment quite a few times though just like the 'how can you listen to church music?' often comes along during some blissfull mellotron/organ segments.

When I read threads like these I often think of the corresponding ones found on similar sites to PA, only they focus on Pop, Blues, Hip Hop and Trance. I bet all of em have their own 'Why do people find our beloved music boring?' threads...and I also believe they are about as deluted as every other music fanbase out there coming up with the same kinds of elitist answers we dig up here.
Your tastes do not elicit wisdom. Reading through a couple of PA threads will hopefully drive home that fact to anyone who still believes that proggers are an enlightened species. Having the ability to listen to complex music is great. Having the ability to knit tricky patterns is great. Are you an intelligent person because you enjoy either? Nope. I've enjoyed both of those with kids who were too stupid to get into school. Do they then get the underlying themes of the lyrics and how amart the different passages are when....blablabla? Nope but then again, do you get the lyrical connotations Lady Gaga does to the Tibethan book of the dead or do you hear the small ode to Bach that blablabla.....
People tend to get the stuff they find appealing - the music they're drawn to. Why would you try to unravel and understand something you think sound absolutely horrendous? That is why you won't find many hip hop fans round these parts....yet there are loads of experimental, progressive and clever hip hop artists out there. Why do you find them boring?
Spoiler: you haven't heard it and you have no interest in trying it out. Why? Because you think it sounds like something you once heard and you figure everything else sounds similarly poor. Just like the reason most people don't listen to prog.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 36373839>