Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes people find Prog boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 39>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 17:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

what makes people find prog boring?   easy...

the 85% of modern prog that is complex... but has not a shred of progressiveness (ie..  a semblance of BEING interesting).  Blame yourselves for that.. .you propagate the notion by rejecting or mocking suggestions that are progressive... but don't fit the stupid idea of prog= complex music.

Micky - a one man Rebel Alliance

Big smile

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 18:06
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

the 85% of modern prog that is complex... but has not a shred of progressiveness (ie..  a semblance of BEING interesting).  Blame yourselves for that.. .you propagate the notion by rejecting or mocking suggestions that are progressive... but don't fit the stupid idea of prog= complex music.

Big smile

ahhahah..  you know how those stories always end....   with the rebel missing  his  head LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dojonane View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 19:48
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by DASistGrantTeeL DASistGrantTeeL wrote:

i thought this was prog-archives, but this seems like a bunch of people talking about how bad prog is

The topic creator was asking why we think OTHER people find prog boring.

Some of the people listing bands that they can't get into are just giving examples of how they can understand why some people find prog to be boring.

Like me,I cannot get into VdGG.They do absolutely nothing for me,simply bores me to tears.But I am not going to say they are bad,just not to my personal taste.

Off Topic I know, but:
Talk to Bruce Dickinson about Van Der Graaf! Peter Hammill is a huge influence on his style (you can hear it clear as day)

10 days travel by foot;
I Wait neath the skin

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 19:52
Originally posted by Cacho(Prog Master) Cacho(Prog Master) wrote:

Originally posted by Prog President Prog President wrote:

At least a 80% of my school, or 80% of all the people who goes to the clubs I go to dance, just say that "prog"(they don't even know that word though) is boring, just because the fact that it's not in the mainstream right now.

If they were living in the 70's, they would definitely "dance", sing-along, and play all day stuff like Floyd.

I don't think they even listen to the music. Not insulting them, all of those are friends of mine, so.... Just telling my observation.

I could give a highly danceable or catchy song to a friend of mine who listens to music that all people like, and still wouldn't "like it" just because the rest doesn't like it.

This.

Definitely that!Clap

LOL
dojonane View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 19:52
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I think it's the combination of horrible lyrics about dragons, the endless w**king, and the ridiculous air of pretension heavy in the air around every prog band.

Or, you know, not.

Speaking of Boring, this whole 'Prog is by default pretentious' argument is *YAWN* What was I saying?
Oh yeah, I'm almost certain that someone has to FEEL something deep in their bone marrow to widdle all the possible content and subject matter of what can come across in a song down to Dragons! And why isn't the manufactured Pop Dribble that is so obviously fabricated, focus group tested, test tube spawned and not even written by the 'talent' themselves never accused of being pretentious? As far as I'm concerned, if you're going out of your way to wear a cape on stage IN EARNEST, like it or not, it speaks to a genuine part of your character and what you find worthy of expression as an artist.

10 days travel by foot;
I Wait neath the skin

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 20:30

Big smile

ahhahah..  you know how those stories always end....   with the rebel missing  his  head LOL

. . . . Or destroying the Death Star.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 20:39
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Big smile

. . . . Or destroying the Death Star.

hahhaha.. that is Hollywood...... and since I just looked in the mirror and I haven't morphed into Brad Pitt, and can barely drive my truck straight much less a sleek starfighter,  I would venture to say that this is no Hollywood.   LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 22:43
Originally posted by Synchestra Synchestra wrote:

Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

The fact that a good amount of it is not in 4/4 might confuse less adept listeners. Unable to compute the complex rhythms, their less-developed music receptors will interpret the sound as mush.

Another thing is that you can't dance to prog and often can't rock to it either, it's never sexual and often expresses its ideas in an intellectual way, it's something that was never meant for the masses (in or current world anyway).
My sister has been dancing to alot of my prog lately, she said that its more fun to dance to than the stuff on the radio... Although we are talking Porcupine Tree and The Mars Volta and not, say, Gryphon LOL but the point is not all prog is undanceable

What makes prog boring? the short answer is: Nothing Wink
Ha, I bet it's more like 'freaking out' than 'dancing' though. Wink But yeah there are exceptions and you can certainly 'groove' to a lot of prog. I groove like a motherf**ker to Tarkus. Tongue
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 23:17
Originally posted by el dingo el dingo wrote:

Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

I believe most naysayers  use "boring" for a couple of reasons: 1) lack of vocabulary 2) don't like prog and its not worth the effort 3) textitus - write as little as possible to answer a question. 

That's exactly the point - often people who say prog's 'boring' have never made any effort at all to get into it. Try it properly, and if you really don't like it, fine.

I'm like that with lots of prog (and metal) bands - but I'd like to think I've given them a chance before i decide I really don't care for them

Perfect.  Example, You may not enjoy  KC's Thrak, but it is anything but boring. 
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 04:26
I was playing Jacula last night and my daughter remarked that it was depressing church music!Shocked
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
inrainbows View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 05:23
If they think that complexity is boring, musical virtuosity is also boring and radio formated pop and mainstream music is all they like, who cares about their flat taste?
Have they ever  listen to  Magma or Caravan or Egg  for example?
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 05:29
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

This is what my wife says about all the classic prog I listen to....

"It all sounds like elevator music"

This is why I'm with girl who loves rock music and also a lot of prog rock.

I grew up on listening rock, pop, electronic music (I'm 89), but finally I've came to prog music completely. Good for me, huh ?

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 05:49
Good prog music contains consciousness, it has the ability to evoke emotion and in some cases make one more self aware, there's a spiritual experience with good music that many prog bands manage to capture , its not about preaching God but more about transcending deep into the sonic dreamscape freeing your mind your soul your body to heal and bath in the glory of mans creation ..  to feel one ..

Then there's pop it starts at the groin passes through several accountants and finishes at the groin .. deep 
pepato View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 08:06
Short answer: because IT IS boring. Well, some of it. Riverside above all. LOL I'm joking, but not so much.

I agree with your post and I quite find myself in there - with the difference that I'm not a teen, I began listening to prog when I was... 23? I don't count Dream Theater and likewise, of course.

Prog is difficult music, by definition.
Prog is often related to musicianship, so it's quite self-referring, solipstic, call it what you want, but it often deals more with the intellectual excitment ("how many strange notes can this guy do") than the emotional one ("my god, this song rocks/makes me cry/turns my guts upside down")
And at last, of course, it's a matter of taste and mood. I used to dislike soft music when I was teenager, and listened only to metal. Now I'm more mature, and metal bores me while slower or mellower sounds agree with my spirit more.
But the opposite also happens: I met a guy who listened to black metal when 14 years old, to prog when 17, and now he's a folk-punk guitarist. The strange paths of life.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 10:10
Originally posted by Takeshi Kovacs Takeshi Kovacs wrote:

I was playing Jacula last night and my daughter remarked that it was depressing church music!Shocked

I find it quite stimulating and fresh to the ears, but of course we Jacula fans are a bit off our rocker.  Big smile

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 11:57
I got it, the non-prog that has spread like disease through their minds.  We haven't won yet, have we?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 12:04
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Takeshi Kovacs Takeshi Kovacs wrote:

I find it quite stimulating and fresh to the ears, but of course we Jacula fans are a bit off our rocker.  Big smile

If there is one thing Jacula isn't, it's church music, IMO. Have you guys seen/heard anything from Antonius Rex? It doesn't exactly evoke images of anything religious.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 12:27
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

Good prog music contains consciousness, it has the ability to evoke emotion and in some cases make one more self aware, there's a spiritual experience with good music that many prog bands manage to capture , its not about preaching God but more about transcending deep into the sonic dreamscape freeing your mind your soul your body to heal and bath in the glory of mans creation ..  to feel one ..

Then there's pop it starts at the groin passes through several accountants and finishes at the groin .. deep 

Are you operating with the concept of the chakras (spiritual energy centres in the body) and expanding here from how music stimulates this depending on its structure, with more advanced types of music hence stimulating/unblocking higher levels of chakras?

Given that certain Yes albums are alleged to revolve around subject matter drawn from Eastern mysticism (Buddhism, to be exact) it is not exactly unlikely that this kind of illumination might have been part of their intent in their music!

Here comes the really crazy thing is... a while ago I tried to read (didn't finish, though) a book about esoteric astrology, which is an attempt by Theosophists to update astrology to their beliefs and (then-)modern science. Theosophy already being a synchretic religion, the "glue" here was the concept of the Seven Rays as identified with radiation from different types of stars.

If you then introduce the Pythagorean concept of the music of the spheres, which conceives the universe as one gigantic chord with different... well, then you can link all this to Hawkwind's 1971-1975 infatuation with composing their music according to astrological principles as detailed in the booklets to the albums they made back then. Ironically, they're one of the less "cerebral" - certainly less scholary - and more mystical/Jungian-subconscious 1970s prog acts. Their song Seven by Seven certainly seems to concern the seven rays, and a lot of the lyrics to other songs they wrote then make more sense and have new layers of meaning when you have as much as a passing familiarity with Esoteric Astrology. (Hawkwind and Theosophy - upcoming Prog Blog? LOL)

Of course, if you ask me all this stuff with Chakras and Seven Rays is hogwash. I'm more of a Discordianism person.

HAIL ERIS! HAIL DISCORDIA!

Edited by Toaster Mantis - August 12 2009 at 12:29
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 12:47
I agree with whoever said the usual complaint is that it's weird, not boring, they ask why can't they write a song straight instead of all these nonsensical changes.  To be honest, that's what I felt when I heard Experience LOL, my first Gentle Giant song and one of the first few prog rock songs I heard outside Dream Theater and Rush.   I still don't PARTICULARLY know why Gentle Giant shouldn't write a straight up rock song instead of one with lots of twists and turns, except that I find the latter a lot of fun. Wink And to partly answer micky, it's really got nothing to do with old or new prog. If anything, the organs, the big symph sound and theatrical vocals in old prog are more likely to turn off people than new prog.  It's all a matter of taste, there's really nothing more to it and yet this topic resurrects itself in different hues all the time.  LOL
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 13:22
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It's all a matter of taste, there's really nothing more to it and yet this topic resurrects itself in different hues all the time.  LOL

And plenty of us here are ready to post on this topic until we go blue in the head. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 39>