Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeather Report not in Top Fusion list

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weather Report not in Top Fusion list
    Posted: August 27 2009 at 21:04
Why is Weather Report not have any albums in the top Jazz fusion list here on the archives? To me most of their work is amazing! Especially their early work like the self titled debut, Sweetnighter and I sing the Body Electric. And not to mention the Jaco years were also quite good. They should be up their with Mahavishnu, RTF and the other classic fusion bands. Were they  not as flashy? What do fans think out their?
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 21:07
Clap

I agree with you entirely. I don't know why they aren't up there. They are definitely my favorite Fusion group, and every album until Heavy Weather is stunning. If I had to choose, Black Market is my favorite.

I got the Live in Montreaux DVD and it absolutely blew me away. It's the best DVD I own along with Neal and Jack and Me.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 21:21
That is a bit surprising.

Perhaps because they are realitively new and have few reviews? (I don't frequent the page often thus I don't know if they do have many reviews)

Fun band though. Their debut is most delicious.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 21:58
hmmm....it might be a bias of many towards guitar-oriented jazz fusion!  I had the good fortune to see WR with Jaco, Wayne Shorter, Joe Z. etc. and they were sublime!  Al Dimeola was the warmup group, during the tour for his first LP "Land of the Midnight Sun," so I left a happy boy! 

That's my guess anyway....as a guitarist & bassist, I tend to gravitate towards heavily guitar-laden jazz-rock fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Brand X etc.   However, there are a number of excellent bands that eschewed blazing guitar in favor of gentler tones from keys, sax etc.  The band "Oregon" comes to mind immediately.  
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 22:08
Wow CSTACK3, that sounds like an amazing show.  I would of love to see Di Meola open for Weather Report back in the day. It is impossible to see great fusion artists live these days, at least where I'm from. I also like guitar/bass driven fusion like your self, but Zawinul and Shorter created some very beautiful tracks together. 
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 23:09
Goddamn, that sucks. I always have trouble deciding which is my favorite out of MO, RTF, and WR. They should def. be up there with them. They beat the hell out of Area, that's for sure. :P
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 01:04
TBH I prefer Area to Weather Report, in fact to most of the bands in JR/F.  I do agree that Weather Report needs to be better represented in the top fusion, though I haven't rated/reviewed any of their material yet so I guess I'm not helping.  Embarrassed  While Heavy Weather does have Jaco as the main (only?) bassist, I like it less than Black Market, which is my favorite.  Heavy Weather seemed a bit too much like smooth jazz to me at points. 
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 02:46
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

call the prog police.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 23:58
Originally posted by JROCHA JROCHA wrote:

Wow CSTACK3, that sounds like an amazing show.  I would of love to see Di Meola open for Weather Report back in the day. It is impossible to see great fusion artists live these days, at least where I'm from. I also like guitar/bass driven fusion like your self, but Zawinul and Shorter created some very beautiful tracks together. 

Hey, JROCHA!  Come out to Chicago, we have a long & proud history of blazing jazz-rock fusion worship!  

My latest faves are the amazing Fareed Haque Group, and the very incredible Kick The Cat!  KTC are local young guys, but they burn like Brand X back in the day!   

Chicago is getting a lot of great press & notoriety for our home-grown guitar talent, including Haque (professor of guitar at Northern Illinois University), Father John Moulder (priest and faculty at Benedictine University), and others that I can't recall right now.

However, it is also terribly nice to see a show where guitar does not dominate, and we've had a lot of small groups & trad-jazz at the Green Mill & other venues.    I've seen some outstanding tenor sax recently!!  

I'll try to post some show reviews, Google these bands and seek them out!  Cheers, CStack3
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 07:19

I hope I misunderstood when someone in this thread said  they are 'new'; that they were talking about the raters and not Waether Report?

Unhappy

Deafmoon
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 20:06
I'm not that surprised actually. WR fans are usually dived between the different era

I personally love the Vitous years (first three album plus the Tokyo double live), where the music spews out like red hot lava from the earth's crust and I don't really like the Pastorius years >>> not only do I not really Jaco's playing (he overdoes it)but the albums of that era (starting with Black Market) are directionless. These albums contains a bit of everything, thus diluting their music.

Other don't understand theMwandishi-type "experimental" jazz-rock of yje early years and prefer the slick stuff from tyhe Pastorius era

So you've got no album that really is consensual enough to go uip the chart.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 10:40
A lot of people don`t even know Vitous was ever part of the group. 
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 10:50
Simple ratings, people, simple ratings. Enjoy your music without over-thinking why the majority seemingly hasn't enjoyed it just as much, voting/rating accordingly.

On a different note, the early Weather Report is splendid.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 11:32
I agree with  Rico.

Yep, early Weather Report is terrific.  I think Hugues is onto something, but most of the reviews have quite high ratings, particularly for the early period, but there just aren't THAT many ratings.  One collab gave the debut 2 stars particularly for it being too jazz and not Fusion enough.  Agree with Rico.

Incidentally, the band has been in PA since at least 2005 (those are the earliest reviews I have found so far). It would have expected it to be one of the earlier JRF additions (wild guess that Mahavishnu Orchestra would have been the first).

I wonder how long it will be before Miles Davis has an album in the top 14 (not long at all I expect), and Herbie Hancock has an album in the the top 30 (of course they are both more recent additions)?

Edited by Logan - September 01 2009 at 11:33
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 12:01
Terribly sorry for the off-topic, but

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Incidentally, the band has been in PA since at least 2005 (those are the earliest reviews I have found so far). It would have expected it to be one of the earlier JRF additions (wild guess that Mahavishnu Orchestra would have been the first).

I took your bet and searched (you can compliment me on wasting so much time later Tongue), you might find the results surprising:

1. Ain Soph (11th band added to PA!!)
  2. Arti E Mestieri
  3. Boud Deun
  4. Deus Ex Machina
  5. D.F.A
  6. Eela Craig (that's the sixth and last band in JR/F that's one of the first 100 added to PA)
  7. Freehand
  8. However
  9. Kenso
  10. Land Of Chocolate
  11. Nathan Mahl
  12. Mind Gallery
  13. Nadoieda
  14. Ozone Quartet
  15. Tiemko
  16. Niacin
  17. Planet X
  18. Derek Sherinian
  19. Quaser
  20. Spaced Out
  21. Azigza
  22. Flea
  23. Addison Project
  24. Gamalon
  25. Mahavishnu Orchestra (649th)
  26. Wigwam
  27. Iceberg
  28. Brand X
  29. Perigeo
  30. Priam
and etc.

Weather Report isn't among the first 1000, but close.

Edited by Ricochet - September 01 2009 at 12:03
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 12:17
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

A lot of people don`t even know Vitous was ever part of the group. 
Then they don't know the real Weather Report.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 12:48
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Terribly sorry for the off-topic, but

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I took your bet and searched (you can compliment me on wasting so much time later Tongue), you might find the results surprising:

1. Ain Soph (11th band added to PA!!)
  2. Arti E Mestieri
  3. Boud Deun
  4. Deus Ex Machina
  5. D.F.A
  6. Eela Craig (that's the sixth and last band in JR/F that's one of the first 100 added to PA)
  7. Freehand
  8. However
  9. Kenso
  10. Land Of Chocolate
  11. Nathan Mahl
  12. Mind Gallery
  13. Nadoieda
  14. Ozone Quartet
  15. Tiemko
  16. Niacin
  17. Planet X
  18. Derek Sherinian
  19. Quaser
  20. Spaced Out
  21. Azigza
  22. Flea
  23. Addison Project
  24. Gamalon
  25. Mahavishnu Orchestra (649th)
  26. Wigwam
  27. Iceberg
  28. Brand X
  29. Perigeo
  30. Priam
and etc.

Weather Report isn't among the first 1000, but close.

Ah, it's mostly alphabetical.  Those might not refer to the original additions as the site might have been hacked, or re-set under new management, and the entries added again.  I think that  additions were done alphabetically here to quite an extent because other resources were used to quickly and methodically add bands that listed them alphabetically in the early days. Plus the JRF category didn't always exist so bands added earlier to PA were not necessarily the first into JRF.  Bands get moved around.

I'm not surprised with Weather Report since I don't know that (unsure, though) it was added until 2005 and the site has been around since maybe 2002.  I'm not sure when JRF came into being as a category (will check waybackmachine).  Many bands well after being added were moved when new categories came in, so while MO wasn't one of the earliest additions to PA, it might have been one of the earliest to JRF proper (incidentally, JRF and Canterbury were combined before).

If I have time, I'll take a trip down memory lane: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://progarchives.com.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 13:18
Hi,

I prefer not to look at those lists, as people tend to say that some are better than others ... and then promptly separate them into different corners of the room and we need to de-segregate music ... so we can learn to listen to it and appreciate what a musician is trying to do and how he/she is communicating to us ...

Sad really! Weather Report is not quite ground breaking, but it's hard to dismiss some of the amazing musicianship in their members, and what they put together ... and one of the best electric bass players ever  ... in any discipline!

Edited by moshkito - September 01 2009 at 13:22
 Post Reply Post Reply