Message Reverse Sort Order
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 11:34
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

If their digital library has 5,000 titles and they've only paid for 4,000 of them, they have gained and the artists have lost 20% of their sales, there is no other equation

Perhaps true, but not the most important aspect, sometimes. If at the beginning, they had 1 album from an artist (for simplicity's sake), downloaded illegally, liked it, and bought the whole discography (5 albums) minus that first album, I'd say the artist should be happy they got a chance to have a new fan who bought 4 albums. So then, it's rather that they gained 80% of their sales, than lost 20%. It makes no difference unless you look at what would have happened. But in truth who knows how many people do this? Let's face it, the only people who are really keeping CD sales (and to a large extent all music sales) alive at all are people who really care about music, a dying breed if there ever was one. I think it's might be the case that even if we managed to put the cat back in the bag now, most people don't care enough about music to buy it anymore, and the bands now still would have little to gain.
Another scenario is that d/loaders download the whole discography then go out an purchase their favourites of those. But as you, I and all those surveys say - who knows how many people do this (or that or anything else).

Oh btw - my 20% example was total sales for all artists, not 20% for one - in other words a d/loader could download 5 artists and only buy albums from 4 of them - in that respect 4 artists have lost nothing and 1 has lost everything - I think that is the more likely scenario - but, again, no one knows what happens.
What?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 11:16

If their digital library has 5,000 titles and they've only paid for 4,000 of them, they have gained and the artists have lost 20% of their sales, there is no other equation

Perhaps true, but not the most important aspect, sometimes. If at the beginning, they had 1 album from an artist (for simplicity's sake), downloaded illegally, liked it, and bought the whole discography (5 albums) minus that first album, I'd say the artist should be happy they got a chance to have a new fan who bought 4 albums. So then, it's rather that they gained 80% of their sales, than lost 20%. It makes no difference unless you look at what would have happened. But in truth who knows how many people do this? Let's face it, the only people who are really keeping CD sales (and to a large extent all music sales) alive at all are people who really care about music, a dying breed if there ever was one. I think it's might be the case that even if we managed to put the cat back in the bag now, most people don't care enough about music to buy it anymore, and the bands now still would have little to gain.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 11:07
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Dean, my main problem as I read music news, bios and such is that a lot of acts that never got the same spotlight as IQ or Pendragon are still making a go of it despite Illegal downloads. And they're not complaining about them.
Both groups were dropped by their labels in the 90s (including my beloved  Marillion), when the industry was experiencing its' peak sales. And the groups I mention all started their recording careers before, or at the very least , just as downloads began. And for the most part, have never "enjoyed" major label support.
These groups have always flown under the radar of mainstream press. They rely on word of mouth and their fans' devotion to make a living. And they've earned that from a small rabid group of people.

Heck, the Skydiggers were dropped by their label also. And in one interview, one of them said it means more , a whole lot more work for them. But that if they want to make a living doing what they love, they work with what they have, not with what they wish they had.
I don't quite know how many times I can say - I know, I believe you, I even agree with you - but this has nothing to do with downloading. Confused
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 11:04

And the thing is, after reading about all these indie acts that are working their asses off to maintain their career, Martin & Nick's complaints come off as if they believe they are somehow entitled to success. Martin pointedly says that he won't play small pubs. Yet a lot of the groups I mention are able to play across Canada (of the U.S. for the american groups), based upon pulling in 400 people in most of the places they play. And sometimes they don't get that.
 Touring means you go out and play for people who will pay to see you. They cannot download a gig.Yet, Martin doesn't see a way of making money on the road. Why won't IQ fans spend money to see them ? Or is it that there are not enough real IQ fans to make it profitable ?

Saga, at this year's FMPM, had trouble filling a 400 seat hall. In their home country, in the prog capital of that country. How can that be related to illegal downloads ?
Ermm small pubs in the UK hold about 50 people, including staff and the band, a small club would manage 120, The Underworld in Camden claims to hold 500 people, but if you've ever been there you'll know that is for the whole pub, not just the basement - 500 people in the basement would be a health hazzard. If you've got a 50 seat venue you're looking at taking about £150-£200 on the door - which will net you about £50 profit for the whole band.

You really should not criticise Martin unless you've gigged in the UK.
What?
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 09:32
And like it or not, the casual music listener, upon whom the music industry boom was built on, really did choose to spend their money elsewhere. Yes, illegal downloads are not completely harmless, even if you accept the "promotional value" that many use to defend the practice.

How is that ? The younger generation accounts for a lower percentage of the population. Teens, and young adults tend to be the most ardent purchasers of music, as a group. The older people get, the less they stay as "involved" with music. So you're losing a number of potential buyers there. And yes, the rest have & will make other choices about where to spend their money. It's not a case of saying "I got the new U2 album on limewire, 'cause I wanted to buy this new PSP3". It's more like " that's looks like fun, can you play that guitar hero game on it ? What bout that Aerosmith rock thingy game ?" .

In my circle of close friends that I grew up with, and that I still see frequently, I've seen the usual changes that I describe. I'm the last remaining music freak in the bunch, in that I still buy a good amount of music, and read about it. The other one cut back dramatically about a year or so ago. He'd bought the Guess Who re-issue series, had picked up about half the Stones remasters, and regularly bought other releases. He also downloaded a ton. Then he noticed that he wasn't able to listen to everything he bought, no mind the music he downloaded. And that he could do without the Ipod base, because, well , he's got the CDs & uses his computer to play the CDs. Bought himself a home theater for his renovated basement. Got a laptop. One for his wife. Still buys the occasional album. Doesn't bother downloading anymore.
The rest - one will buy a CD every now & then for his son or daughter - Hannah Montana, All American Rejects, the kids radio stuff. Last one bought for himself - Aerosmith Jaded, and his wife bought AC/DC's Black Ice.
My best friend Claude, hasn't bought anything since ... well I don't know when. He buys the occasional used DVD movie, and some concerts, and the rare new release, if it's on sale. And he had a computer & internet access before the rest of the gang. IN our teens and early twenties, we'd be the ones buying the new Accept, Krokus, AC/DC, Paul SImon, Georgia Satellites cassettes and playing them to people. He isn't even interested in hearing about most new bands.
And the rest of the now middle aged bunch - they were casual music buyers in their youth, and they've cut back from that.

SO it's not just illegal downloads that are hurting sales. It's a number of factors, not all tied to music. And it's mostly competition from other sources. Which is why even if downloads are eliminated, Martin won't be going on the road or living off his music.

And it's not because of his music being good or bad. It's because there are not enough hardcore IQ fans willing to put money on their music instead of spending it elsewhere ...
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 09:11
And the thing is, after reading about all these indie acts that are working their asses off to maintain their career, Martin & Nick's complaints come off as if they believe they are somehow entitled to success. Martin pointedly says that he won't play small pubs. Yet a lot of the groups I mention are able to play across Canada (of the U.S. for the american groups), based upon pulling in 400 people in most of the places they play. And sometimes they don't get that.
 Touring means you go out and play for people who will pay to see you. They cannot download a gig.Yet, Martin doesn't see a way of making money on the road. Why won't IQ fans spend money to see them ? Or is it that there are not enough real IQ fans to make it profitable ?

Saga, at this year's FMPM, had trouble filling a 400 seat hall. In their home country, in the prog capital of that country. How can that be related to illegal downloads ?
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 09:09
Dean, my main problem as I read music news, bios and such is that a lot of acts that never got the same spotlight as IQ or Pendragon are still making a go of it despite Illegal downloads. And they're not complaining about them.
Both groups were dropped by their labels in the 90s (including my beloved  Marillion), when the industry was experiencing its' peak sales. And the groups I mention all started their recording careers before, or at the very least , just as downloads began. And for the most part, have never "enjoyed" major label support.
These groups have always flown under the radar of mainstream press. They rely on word of mouth and their fans' devotion to make a living. And they've earned that from a small rabid group of people.

Heck, the Skydiggers were dropped by their label also. And in one interview, one of them said it means more , a whole lot more work for them. But that if they want to make a living doing what they love, they work with what they have, not with what they wish they had.

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 07:09
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Yet, nearly all niche genres have seen a resurgence and greater overall market share since the advent of file sharing. The amount of Prog released in 2008 easily dwarfs the entire output of the genre from 1970-1975, I would wager.

This might be true (I very much doubt it) but the number of units sold is miniscule by comparison. The number downloaded illegally can never be known for sure but there is no doubt in my mind that it has hit sales considerably.

As a (retired) professional mathematician, I'd love to see the data and methodology from the studies you quoted which demonstrate that file sharing has actually increased sales because it goes completely contrary to all my own gut instincts and the evidence of the musical fraternity. Of course these are highly reputable institutions but they are not immune to errors!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 07:00

Claude - everything you say is 100% true and nobody is denying it, but that does not mean anything - it is irrelevant to the question of whether artists are affected as a result of illegal downloading - even all those artists you insist on citing would be better-off if P2P did not exist, just because they have worked in-spite of it does not prove anything. All artists are doing exactly the same thing as those relatively obscure artists you have listed, all are finding ways around the problem because Pandora's Box is open and no one can put the lid back on, but that does not remove or negate the initial issue or make them more successful as a result of it. Once any of your list of artists hit the wider market they will be hit by the same problems of any other artist - at the moment they are cocooned from its effects by their core-fanbase. The bigger the exposure, the less dedicated and passionate (fanatical) the listeners are to the band and its music, the more they will be affected.

While I agree with the reasoning behind your argument - that the music industry must change to make illegal activity completely inconssequential, or make it work to their benefit, because they cannot hold back the tide - I cannot see why it means that any artist who stands-up and says this is wrong should be criticised quite so harshly. These artists are not Luddites throwing spanners in the machinery, (though history has shown that Ned Ludd wasn't actually wrong), nor are they whinging 'woe is me' whiners - they are simply people who have put their heart and soul into creating a work of art that find themselves being ripped-off by other people, and they should be allowed to not like that situation and be allowed to say it.

CDs cannot compete fairly with other entertainment souses when their content can be downloaded for free - P2P and illegal Blogs allow people to purchase more of the other entertainment media because they can get their music for nothing. If you could download free software that could turn your microwave oven into a Wii then sales of Wii's would be affected, so why is it so hard to see that P2P affects CD sales more than competition with other entertainment media?

Because no one can correlate the numbers - all of those surveys that came out and said that "P2P does not affect CD sales" were being paraphrased, miss-quoted, or worse still, making unfounded conclusions, take the Norwegian study linked by Teaflax:
Originally posted by 'Trends in downloading and filesharing of music' - <EM>Olle Findahl (2006)</EM> 'Trends in downloading and filesharing of music' - Olle Findahl (2006) wrote:

"What then about the negative effects on music sales? These are more difficult to calculate, as there is no direct relation between a download and a lost sale. However the user studies show that there are down loaders who say that they are not buying as much music as before and even if a majority of down loaders say that they buy the same or more a minority of 10 to 35 percent say that they buy less. So there seems to be group of free riders that supports the second hypothesis. But how strong this negative effect is on music sales is impossible to say."
(my underlining)

...the key word is "direct" it changes the meaning of the sentence completely - without a direct link it is impossible to make a correlation, but is does not mean that an indirect link does not exist or that sales of CDs are not affected by downloading - it only means that they couldn't find an empirical one - and they never will.

If all the downloaders who are spending more on CDs as a result of their illegal activities were converting all of the d/loads to hard-purchases, or at least deleting those files they did not pay for hardcopy of, then I'd see some logic in the argument, but there is no indication of that in any of the reports, or in any of the posts I've read here or on anyother place on the internet. If their digital library has 5,000 titles and they've only paid for 4,000 of them, they have gained and the artists have lost 20% of their sales, there is no other equation (even if they don't like the remaining 1,000 titles and will never play them again - however I guarantee the reality is they do like at least some of those and will play them again).

Edited by Dean - October 03 2009 at 07:07
What?
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 23:10
Debrewguy? You know you can edit a post, right? Instead of making news posts with just one name in them, I mean.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 22:06
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skydiggers
the skydiggers are a great example of a band working to earn their fans' dedication 
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 22:05
D.O.A.
Bob Wiseman
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 22:03

Gorguts, 

Quo Vadis, Buck 65,

Joel Plaskett, 

Constantines

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 21:56
sorry for the font fun, all cut & paste, eh ...
The Supersuckers,
Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans, The Weakerthans, Hank Williams III,

Luther Wright and the Wrongs (ya gotta hear their remake of the wall), the sadies ,

The Reverend Horton Heat

Th' Legendary Shack Shakers,    

Rufus Wainwright

Rufus Wainwright

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 21:47
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 21:47
Robbie Fulks
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 21:46
Jay Farrar
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 21:45
Fred Eaglesmith 
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 21:44

Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

the artist suffers.....

Again, studies show they don't.
Those studies did not show whether the artist suffers or not.

is the artist's suffering any less if his decreased album sales are because people are just buying other things instead of his music ?  Things that have been put on market this past decade. That are legal.
100% of minimum wage labourers earn the legally mandated minimum wage. In many countries, that is barely above the poverty line. assuming you live in a region where the cost of living is lower.and that you don't have a family to feed.
The artist has the choice of trying to find more profitable work. They have no entitlement to a certain level of income. After all, if Martin Orford can't make it, saying that illegal downloads did him in, but that the Old 97s can still make it despite this same "problem, are we able to say that illegal downloads are the only problem ?

P.S. I can keep presenting all these acts that are still making a career making music outside of the mainstream despite the so-called deadly illegal downloads.
P.P.S. Again, please note, I do not condone, promote or consider illegal downloads O.K., no matter the legal or moral arguement. That is not my point. My point is that it is too easily used as an excuse to explain why some acts cannot make a living at making music. Even great musicians at that.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 21:34

o.k. , if I may reserve the following questions to those who I seem to be in disagreement with (meaning if you've been on my side, please refrain from answering these posts)

1) are illegal downloads the one and only , i.e. the sole reason for the decline in CD sales ?
yes or no

No.

But where you are leading is irrelevant, (or a smoke screen), that declining sales are also caused buy sales of X-Boxes and Probiotic Yogurt and Sun-spots does not make the effect of P2P any different or any less - just because I side against one cause does not mean that I am ignoring (or blind to) the other causes.

Dean< i'm trying not to imagine what entertainment that you get from pro-biotic yogurt, or sun spots, and i won't go there.

The comparison is entertainment dollars. The reason is that music is part of a person's discretionary purchases . If I budget $100 for live gigs in one year, and I buy a ticket to a mega event that costs me $100 ... how many other concerts will I see that year ? And yes, that happens often. That is a big obstacle for the smaller & newer acts to overcome. Hopefully, at least in North America, the Stones / U2 / ACDC / Eagles et al platinum priced  shows are near their end, as many reports indicate that these shows just aren't selling out anymore. Reading the Lefsetz letter, it's an eye opener how many promoters are giving 90% off tickets to regular industry contacts just to fill out the venue.
as quoted from http://www.ticketnews.com/Concert-industry-posts-record-year-in-2008-but-trials-lie-ahead-in-New-Year12831708
"Billboard Boxscore also reported worldwide concert industry grosses of approximately $4 billion in 2008, an increase of 13 percent from the previous year."

CDs - Say I budget $100 a year for music purchases. Since the advent of new technology that allows small professional studios to be set up for $10-15000 , and the resulting lowering of recording costs, many local and regional bands that could not afford to put out an album are now doing so. Even the most basic techie can use Garage Band to record themselves. Pro Tools anyone ? SO now, you've got even the smallest city with an active music scene finding itself with a pile of bands all putting out stuff. I keep mentioning a half dozen local bands that I support. That's 6 albums that I'm not going to be buying from the bigger acts, and in my case, it means that groups like IQ & Pendragon are farther  down the list on my budget. Not because their music is not worth paying for, or good, great or bad. But because I'm still looking to buy other groups' releases ahead of theirs.

DVDs - weren't around in 1985. And the sales really started to boom in the mid to late 90s. Another place to spend my money on entertainment. I used to work with this guy who no longer bought CDs. Why ? Because buying a CD like Rush's Rush in RIo gave him all the songs he wanted. He could watch it or just listen to it. Add to that, you can buy TV series, movies, concerts. On DVD. Most that were never available on VHS.  And even at that, last year DVD sales were down 5.5%. They only hit ... 22.4 ... billion USD.
PCs - yes, that is an entertainment option. If my income stays the same, and I buy a newly introduced product ... am I able to spend that same money elsewhere ? So ... if I choose to buy a $400 computer, instead of the Beatles Mono Remasters at $200, I am making a conscious decision to buy one thing over another. Same equation if you like - replace it with 20 CDs.
as quoted from http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117998174.html?categoryid=20&cs=1
According to the Digital Entertainment Group, DVD sales slumped 9% last year, bringing overall homevideo spending down 5.5% to $22.4 billion. The DVD decline is greater than recent industry forecasts: Late-year tallies by vid analysts showed sales of the older disc format lagging 5% to 7%.

The news was cheerier on the next-gen front: According to DEG, Blu-ray spending came close to year-end forecasts of $750 million. That reps a threefold increase, and was in line with late-year figures (Daily Variety, Jan. 6).

Rental spending was flat at $7.5 billion for the year."

Computer & Video Games - again, assuming that the music listener's income has not increased (which inflation stats in most of the western world seem to show only the rich coming out ahead with time), does he buy as many CDs ? If I buy a $200 Wii, then get 2 games at $20 each, will I be able to turn around and use this same money to buy music with ? Doesn't mean I'm not buying any. But chances are I'm not going to buy as much. Why ? Because my discretionary budget remained the same.
in the first 8 months they were out : U.S. , Japan & Western Europeen sales totaled -  9 million Wiis, 8.9million  Xbox units and 3.7million PS3s. (respective prices at that time - Wii - $249 ; $300-$400 for the Xbox 360 and $599 for the PS3,)
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/51df0c84-6154-11dc-bf25-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

Tech gadgets - IPods, IPhones, Blackberries - yes, don't you know, many casual music consumers will choose to use their discretionary funds on one of these, to the detriment of the music industry. Not out of any ill will. Just a matter of a few more slices dividing the pie.
as quoted from http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2008/11/05.3.shtml for 2008.

iPhone Sales

As for the iPhone, Apple's 10K filing reveal that the company recognized some US$1.8 billion in revenue related to the iPhone during the fiscal year. Apple uses a subscription revenue model that it has said is required by the SEC due to revenue sharing and subsidies received from most of Apple's carrier partners.

In reality, Apple took in more than $4 billion in actual cash flow from the iPhone during the September quarter alone. The rest of that money will be reflected in future quarterly filings as the two-year subscription accounting system plays out.

So, while I only passed Accounting 101 in college, I can still figure out the fact that your income does not grow just so you can keep buying the same amount of CDs at the same time as buying consumer items that were not available even 10 years ago.

We forget that the casual music listener does not live for owning the latest album of some group that they've never heard of. They don't get a thrill from discovering an unknown act.

And to clarify things - I know that 1) illegal downloads are illegal. I have not argued to remove legal sanctions against them; 2) Illegal downloads are wrong. Again, I have not said that they were; 3) they cannot be defended by some sort of morality tale of industry abuse or poverty. And nowhere have I said that this constitutes a valid defense. 4) so in essence I have not condoned nor promoted illegal downloads as part of my arguement.

My point is simply that there are a  number of factors that have contributed to the precipitous decline in music sales. My point is also that efforts to fight against illegal downloads have not even managed to stall the drop in CD sales. My point is that they cannot. Technological advances mean that someone somewhere will find a way around it. Remember DRM ? Read about the RIAA's suing people ? About Napster, Kazaa, Pirate Bay being shut down ? Notice that CD sales kept plummeting . PC & Video game sales are reaching new highs, though both may have peaked. But laptops and smart phones are still relatively new products that are just getting to the point where price drops are arriving. But now we are about to have access to HQ video streaming that you can feed to your TV. Music too, so once you find a number of great web radio stations or podcasts, wouldn't it be nice to her it through your home theater set up instead of your PC speakers. SO there will be a new generation of entertainment options to spend money on. On top of the ones already out there. And unless there's a drastic change in income distribution, most people's pay cheques will not be rising to meet the increased variety of purchasing options.
Music is not food. It is not shelter. It is entertainment. It is a passion for some. For most, it is just one of the things that they have the choice of getting from a range of sources. And these days, the CD is not the end all or be all. Nor will downloads save the day. That came too late. And the labels still screwed that up by insisting on high prices from the get go. And the attraction of the album for most is long gone. $20 for 1 great song & ten crappy ones doesn't sell anymore. Sucks to be a prog band , but the emphasis is back on songs. And believe me, there's enough great stuff out there that 99% of music listeners won't bother taking too many chances on long shot maybe I might like it searches. There will always be people that insist on a physical product for music. LPs are still selling. But no one is making millions off of LP sales. Ipods are no longer a necessity. Because once you have one 4GB mega player, why do you need another one. And once it's full, most people aren't rushing out to buy more new music.

MY point is that time & effort is better spent trying to find a way to get paid in today's reality. Some groups are able to do it. DO you prefer to study success or complain about failure ?

Because the old days aren't coming back. Even if Martin or Nick become benevolent king poobahs of the world.

Subscription models are one of the next steps. Spotify may work because this time the major labels have gotten a financial interest in the company. SO it means that services like it have to show success before they get access to the music they need to draw paying customers in.
And that will mean getting a little money from a lot of people. Which will mean the same for bands, assuming the majors don't play the game as per usual.  That will also mean that bands will need to work to earn their fanbase. That is already the case. Again, some bands are able to do so. And this despite all the heart rending stories as to how musicians are not able to be successful because of illegal downloads. Maybe they didn't get the memo.

So if discretionary income does not rise, and more slices are cut in the pie, would anyone find it surprising that the current music industry model is set to die ? Whether or not illegal downloads are wiped out.

Again, this is not to condone, promote, or defend illegal downloads, whether in their legal or moral status. That has been addressed as the law is quite clear.

This is to point out that other competitors for the consumer dollar have come out in the last decade. But the consumer still just has the same amount of dollars ... and he doesn't look at his budget and go "hmm, I now spend X dollars on music, but now there's this other thing that has just come out that I'd like to buy, but I only have so much money ... guess I'll cut back somewhere else so I can keep buying music".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>