Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are male vocalists more popular than female inPROG
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre male vocalists more popular than female inPROG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 08:57
ANNIE HASLAM.....She is excellent of course!
OCTOBER PROJECT- They have the most unique female vocalist ever.
WHITE WILLOW....On their first effort they combine early King Crimson style with female vocals that sound errie and melodic. not like Judy Dyble with a Judy Collins sound on Giles, Giles and Fripp
PROCOL HARUM-GRAND HOTEL....FIRES WHICH BURNT BRIGHTLY has great female vocals.
CURVED AIR......Sonja Kristina is unique on Curved Air Second Album and Phantasmagoria
MELLOW CANDLE.....2 girls from Ireland front a folk prog band. great!
SANDY DENNY.....NORTHSTAR GRASSMAN AND THE RAVENS or FAIRPORT CONVENTION'S LEIGE AND LEAF she is brillant!
MADDY PRIOR...always excellent.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 09:43
Originally posted by Mind_Drive Mind_Drive wrote:

Hi everybody, i have a big problem...
I just wondered why all of my favourite vocalists are male.. then i was confused because i suddenly could not think of any band i really love with a female vocalist. is this a prog-related phenomenon or why are there so few female singers in this genre? (ok i have to admit i donīt know too much different prog bands by now). There are some beautiful female voices (i think of tarja turunen the ex-nightwish singer or the within temptation vocalist) but theyīr all doing this melodic metal stuff wich i donīt like that much because of the lack of prog ;)

Please donīt misunderstand me, iīm in no way misogynic or whatever.. i am just wondering...

if i ask around in my family or my friends they all tell me that they do like male voices more than female.

How about you? do you feel the same, or not? in fact i would be glad someone disagreed..

I think the first part of your post was addressed somewhat a few months ago and some people said maybe it's because rock is such a sausage fest and drives women away. Not an entirely far fetched perception because though you won't find them here, much of the rock crowd is rather chauvinist and don't think highly of women...in music (and hopefully not in all spheres of life in general!).  You will find a lot more female singers in R&B compared to rock, for instance. Come to think, there aren't even many female musicians in rock compared to the number of male musicians.  So, the point is, maybe you need to look elsewhere for female vocals.

Coming to prog, I am not generally very satisfied with the way female vocals are handled in prog...you'd rather use synthesizer instead to produce those airy-fairy effects (that's just my perception, by the way!).  Beats me why bands don't just let them actually sing their heart out, the way the great male prog singers do?  Oh, DO tell me it is because they don't know how to, that would be a truly enlightening perspective!  Dead  Anyway, with the sole exception of Annie Haslam, I prefer Ann Stewart or Stella Vander kind of female vocals in prog where their operatic tendencies are used to convey a effect similar to a musical instrument, except it's more dramatic.  Kate Bush is awesome of course but I don't really consider her albums prog.  Progressive perhaps, but that's a different story.   Those folk queens are terrific too, but well, they are folk!

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 10:11
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

ANNIE HASLAM.....She is excellent of course!
OCTOBER PROJECT- They have the most unique female vocalist ever.
WHITE WILLOW....On their first effort they combine early King Crimson style with female vocals that sound errie and melodic. not like Judy Dyble with a Judy Collins sound on Giles, Giles and Fripp
PROCOL HARUM-GRAND HOTEL....FIRES WHICH BURNT BRIGHTLY has great female vocals.
CURVED AIR......Sonja Kristina is unique on Curved Air Second Album and Phantasmagoria
MELLOW CANDLE.....2 girls from Ireland front a folk prog band. great!
SANDY DENNY.....NORTHSTAR GRASSMAN AND THE RAVENS or FAIRPORT CONVENTION'S LEIGE AND LEAF she is brillant!
MADDY PRIOR...always excellent.

No offense but you're aware it's possible to not make every single post in Italics and also not to use unnecessary capitalization of words?
It really does make it harder to read, which is why pretty much everyone will post........well, in a normal style.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 10:26
I find female vocals very beautiful and sometimes more attractive than male, but only at first. Usually, I get tired of them rather quickly. Maybe that happens because at least in the metal wolrd female vocals are all too similar. Now, in other styles, the situation improves. Especially in genres closer to mainstream. Really. I think I can find better vocals in other styles, not in prog. I haven't heard more than, say, 10 or 15 bands with female vocals in non-metal-prog, but that gives me an idea about the general picture. I prefer male vocals in all rock.

enemyofthesundevils View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 10:53
I'm not really into female lead vocalists but some backup vocals are nice every once in a while. My favorite that comes to mind is Lee Douglass of Anathema and the old backup singer they used in their heavier years Ruth. The only female fronted bands I like are Portishead(Beth Gibbons),old Gathering(Annekke),and Battle of Mice(Julie Christmas).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 11:09
Hi,

I do think that there is a point to this notion ... and that some bands may be more inclined to stay with men singing than adding a woman and have to sell themselves short with skimpy and sexy videos to highlight their music and work.

So, in that sense, yeah ... I would say that if I was a band I might take a look at that ... but I would NEVER ever consider not having a woman if she was that good a singer and could carry not only the work at hand but the band if she had to.

There are not a whole lot of "progressive" women in the lot ... I would agree with Lisa Gerrard and Kate Bush for sure, although by definition here on this board DCD and Lisa would not be considered prog ... and neither would Grace Slick ... one is too artsy to be prog and the other has to much history of pop to be considered prog. Kate is special in her own way ... but I don't think of her as "prog" ... I think of her as just a really good singer and songwriter, all in all a poetess ... sort of like Peter Hammill ... it's not even prog per se ... it's a poet at work ... and the music is basically just coloring his words ... and has nothing to do with "music" or "prog" or any other concept out there. It only comes off as "prog" because it is eccentric and different.

I can not say that I have seen a lot of bands in my time that had women singers with the strength of a Decamps (Ange), or Gabriel (Genesis), or Fish (Marillion and then on his own) ... and some others ... and that is not to say that Annie Haslam, or Kate Bush are not good ... and sometimes I wonder if this is really a problem with the music business itself ... a woman doing prog? who's gonna buy it?

Hopefully, in the future this line will blur some more ... I would love to see women get stronger in the music circles, not just as scantliy clad barbie dolls.
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 11:42
There's a whole slew of female vocalists in prog bands that are in the celtic style. For example

Heather Findlay  Mostly Autumn
Anne Marie Helder of Karnataka and Panic Room
Olivia Spearman of Breathing Space
Joanne Hogg of Iona
Rachel Cohen of The Reasoning

In fact, bands that are in that musical style seem to invariably have a female vocalist (often more than one).

Perhaps the celtic / light prog style suits female voice more than male?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 13:36
Originally posted by paulwalker71 paulwalker71 wrote:

There's a whole slew of female vocalists in prog bands that are in the celtic style. For example

Joanne Hogg of Iona

In fact, bands that are in that musical style seem to invariably have a female vocalist (often more than one).

Those girls (who, in my humble opinion, make a little too much use of their physical charms) are just keeping up with a tradition that has been going on for decades - that of folk-rock bands with female vocals. They are followers of the likes of Sandy Denny, Maddy Prior and Jacqui McShee, though - from I have heard - nowhere as good as these three, or as Barbara Gaskin when she sang with Spirogyra.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 14:45
Not so keen on female vocals in prog. They all end up sounding either like those preposterously poodle-haired pomp rockers Heart, or butter-wouldn't-melt -in-her-mouth vicar's wife soundalike Annie Haslam.  Prog seems to be a predominately male form.  Female vocals tend to prettify the music and render it strangely inauthentic.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 14:53
Originally posted by paulwalker71 paulwalker71 wrote:

Joanne Hogg of Iona

I agree 100% (except it's Olivia Sparnenn!). All these vocalists are top notch and a match for any male vocalist.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:16
I dont think its a case of being more popular its just that rock in general, and certainly prog, is much more of a male dominated type of music than pop or R&B. Having said that, there are a number of very good female fronted bands, many of which have already been mentioned. I will mention Virgin Black where Samantha Escarbe is the lead guitarist and co composer with vocalist Rowan London, just to show the girls can play brilliantly as well as sing well.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:18
Originally posted by Mind_Drive Mind_Drive wrote:

in fact i would be glad someone disagreed..

OK, I'll give you the oposite opinion.

Write now, I prefere female vocalists than male vocalists.

I relate to today's music, and not the past/70's music, which holds some great male vocals. But nowadays I think there is a decrease or even an abscence in good quality male vocalists. In too many times, I feel that the male vocalist just ruin the music instead of rising it up. In to many cases they sound nasalic, offkey, too bombast or whatever. While female vocalists today are much more reliable and much more qualified than most of the male vocalists. When I come to know a band with a female vocalist I kind a relieved, knowing that no bad vocalist will ruin the music and the playing I've just heard.

There are lots of excellent example for female prog vocalists, I'll note two examples that I havent seen here yet (and if they where already mentiond, I regret): The 3rd and the mortal from norway, and the project 'She' by Clive Nolan.

terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 18:02
Hi

I wonder why Great Gigs in the Sky never got mentioned.

Annie Haslam in her rendition of Yes' Turn of the Century actually opened my eyes that female vocalists have a different allure in music. Before that I was like the OP who didn't really care much of women fronted bands.

So, progs with female vocalists have been in my CD rotation only in the past decade. I think i love the break from the male stuff, and that got my wife to start embrace some of prog stuffs too.  She's totally hooked on Trans-siberian orchestra's Beethoven's Last Night. It finds This CD finds its way back to my car every two months.

Some of my fav bands with female singers:
Magenta
Phideaux - amazing harmony
Mastermind - only in Angels of the Apocalypse in which Lisa Bouchelle sang. I never got into their new singer.
Maggie Reilley who sang for Mike Oldfield
Peter Gabriel's daughter in Growing Up Live

Pamela Moore's performance in Queensryche's first Mindcrime is great too
And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Djm912 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 18:28
Uhhh, Christina from Magenta, anybody?

Well, even if it is just me, I absolutely love her voice.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 18:41
repeat after Micky...

Renata... Renata... Renata...

you can have your faires dressed in red dresses prancing around the stage dressed as a goddamned flower...

give us Renata...Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 20:42
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Many of my favorite vocalists are women:

Maddy Prior
Annie Haslam
Ann Wilson
Jon Anderson

In all honesty, it depends on the vocalist and not gender.

LOL

I used to pretty much hate all femal vocalists, except for Bjork until I discovered Joanna Newsom and British Electric Folk.... Sandy Denny, June Tabor, Barbara Gaskin, Maddy Prior, Jacquie McShee, and whoever else was in Comus, Mellow Candle, Trees, Dando Shaft... etc.

Edited by June - September 24 2009 at 20:43
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 20:45
yeah.... Joanna Newsom!

good call June..

Edited by micky - September 24 2009 at 20:45
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 20:53
Originally posted by terryl terryl wrote:

Hi

I wonder why Great Gigs in the Sky never got mentioned.

Annie Haslam in her rendition of Yes' Turn of the Century actually opened my eyes that female vocalists have a different allure in music. Before that I was like the OP who didn't really care much of women fronted bands.

Clap  for Great Gig, one of the most soulful vocal performances I have heard across genres.  I actually didn't like that 'cover' of Turn of the century at all, badly missing her energy and youthful vigour of old.  If she had sung it at around the same time it was actually made, it would indeed have blown Anderson's rendition out of the park.  Never got where people who say she hasn't lost a thing at all in years come from.  Evidently, she has...only the basic texture of her voice remains intact as does, to a large extent, her range.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 20:57
Originally posted by ShW1 ShW1 wrote:

[
Write now, I prefere female vocalists than male vocalists.

I relate to today's music, and not the past/70's music, which holds some great male vocals. But nowadays I think there is a decrease or even an abscence in good quality male vocalists. In too many times, I feel that the male vocalist just ruin the music instead of rising it up. In to many cases they sound nasalic, offkey, too bombast or whatever. While female vocalists today are much more reliable and much more qualified than most of the male vocalists. When I come to know a band with a female vocalist I kind a relieved, knowing that no bad vocalist will ruin the music and the playing I've just heard.

There are lots of excellent example for female prog vocalists, I'll note two examples that I havent seen here yet (and if they where already mentiond, I regret): The 3rd and the mortal from norway, and the project 'She' by Clive Nolan.

Good post, I largely agree with you.  I mean, give me Rachel Jones over Neal Morse any day, sorry folks!  But the trend of them being largely underutilized and simply used to beautify the music continues...at least in melodic prog.  A shame, because they are just as much capable of carrying a great tune as the males.  Now that Japanese band Logan mentioned, that's really awesome stuff on the other hand and would rather hear those! Thumbs Up
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 00:23
 I love me some female vocalists. Ann Wilson, Stevie Nicks, Annie Haslam, Hiroko Nagai, Hannah Stobart, Marcela Bovio (not as much a fan of her bands as her voice), etc. Can't get enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>