Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKrautrock special & Kraftwerk on BBC TV (UK)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Krautrock special & Kraftwerk on BBC TV (UK)
    Posted: October 19 2009 at 10:40
A show dedicated to the Krautrock scene will be aired by BBC on October 23rd. The show will also be available online on their website for seven days after it will have been aired.

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/BBC-Four-To-Air-Krautrock
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 13:28
BBC4 are showing a 1 hour special called "Krautrock-the rebirth of Germany" on Friday 23 October at 9pm. This is followed by "Kraftwerk:Minimum maximum" at 10pm.

The Krautrock programme is described as a "Documentary examining how radical German bands developed a new musical identity that influenced many British bands". The Kraftwerk set is from 2004, but includes their old stuff too.

Both are repeated starting at 11:30 on Saturday 24th.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 16:06
Thumbs Up watching Kraftwerk now - the documentry's repeated at 1:25am
What?
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 04:34
Well, that was a brilliant programme. I like and admire most of the bands that were introduced (particularly Amon Duul II, Can, Neu and Faust) but I'd never seen them on the small screen and I thought they were a thoroughly likable bunch.

Maybe the best point of the programme came at the end, when the presenter pointed out that, as opposed to certain rock stars, none of these Krautrockers have ever become millionaires or "knights of the realm". They are all still leading a relatively low-key existence (apart from the present incarnation of Kraftwerk, perhaps) and they are still what they were 30 or 40 years ago: experimental musicians.

Some more food for thought. Was Werner Herzog really the greatest German film director of the classic Krautrock period? I sure love his work, but who's to say he's greater than Fassbinder or Wim Wenders?

And finally: most of the musicians now being interviewed were clearly happy and proud that the BBC was devoting an entire 58-minute programme to them. And rightly so. As ever, I was in awe of their foreign language skills. Impossible to imagine a programme in which a few dozen ENGLISH musicians express themselves so fluently and wittily in German (or French or Spanish, or any other language which is NOT their mother tongue)!
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 05:08
I caught some of the Kraftwerk concert last night, and recorded the Krautrock programme that was on later. Will watch it soon.

What's going on.....prog on TV?Clap
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 07:31
Excellent doc. Loved hearing a bit of Popol Vuh on TV. Missing: Ashra Temple. Can't have everything I suppose. The BBC rule for putting this stuff on.

Edited by emdiar - October 24 2009 at 08:10
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 07:38
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

And finally: most of the musicians now being interviewed were clearly happy and proud that the BBC was devoting an entire 58-minute programme to them. And rightly so. As ever, I was in awe of their foreign language skills. Impossible to imagine a programme in which a few dozen ENGLISH musicians express themselves so fluently and wittily in German (or French or Spanish, or any other language which is NOT their mother tongue)!

Quite, though quite coincidentally I watched a DVD yesterday on which Tim Blake, a Hammersmith boy I believe, spoke fluently and eloquently about Gong in French.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 08:48
Well yes, there ARE exceptions. John Greaves sings in French and Kevin Ayers is probably quite fluent in Spanish by now...
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 11:25
Yeah, fuxi, I do know what you mean. It's not the Brit's fault though. Languages were (are?) "taught" in British schools as something that might come in handy if you need directions to a public toilet in Calais, but otherwise, let 'em learn English, we did win the war  after all don't you know! (I can't speak for the USA, but I'm guessing Anglo-centricity is as rife there, linguistically speaking, despite Spanish rapidly becoming its most spoken language).

(Apologies for the phrase "linguistically speaking" btw. You know what I mean.)

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 11:25
I really enjoyed thst Krautrock documentary on BBC4 also looked at the Kraftwerk concert as well (shame about Florian Schneider's departure, Ralf Hutter the only original member left now).

Was glad they showed Kraftwerk's song Ruckzuck on the documentary, one of my favorites from that era and Tangerine Dream.

Shame they didn't show more of Klaus Schulze (our Richocet (Victor)  would have appreciated this show Big smile).

I not saying it is but I reckon there a connection with this BBC documentary and the Synth Britannia from last week (both featured KraftwerK), many band featured on Synth Britannia were influenced by Kraftwerk and other German bands of that time.

Edited by PROGMAN - October 24 2009 at 11:32
CYMRU AM BYTH
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 16:32

As well as being on BBC4 again tonight.  They are on the BBC i player.  No idea if you can see this in other countries on the internet?  Still its on till the 30th.

Big smile
Help me I'm falling!
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 16:47
Unhappy

Can someone put it on Youtube or something?
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2009 at 03:49
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

Yeah, fuxi, I do know what you mean. It's not the Brit's fault though. Languages were (are?) "taught" in British schools as something that might come in handy if you need directions to a public toilet in Calais, but otherwise, let 'em learn English, we did win the war  after all don't you know!

I'm afraid this is still the case. Two of our daughters just completed their secondary education at a local British state school. The school was generally excellent, but their foreign language teaching doesn't get you ANYWHERE.

By the way, the BBC's "Krautrock Special" made me wonder what all those musicians sound like when speaking their native German, since that is a language I very much enjoy! Has German television ever done a program (or even a series) on the same bands? The ARTE channel, perhaps?
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2009 at 11:06
Did anyone manage to catch the documentary of Krautrock followed by a Kraftwerk performance and also The Mars Volta at abbey road?Was a great night of television and although I'm fairly knowledgeable of krautrock,it really made gain so much respect for the guys in germany in the 60's.If you haven't you should be able to find it all on catch up tv and Iplayer.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 08:14
Just watched the documentary and thought it was absolutely spiffing. A good BBC4 documentary often makes even the driest and most unpalatable of subjects intriguing, but for fans like us it was totally absorbing. I particularly appreciated the emphasis on the historical, social, political and artistic contexts which surrounded the music, rather than simply focusing on the individuals who made it.

If only BBC4 would do something similar on RIO or Canterbury... (And yes, I know the "Prog Britannia" doc touched on Canterbury a lot more than anyone expected BUT IT STILL WASN'T ENOUGH, DAMMIT!)
 Post Reply Post Reply