Topic ClosedMars Hollow -- Your New Favorite Prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mars Hollow -- Your New Favorite Prog Band
    Posted: November 11 2009 at 17:50
Esteemed members of Progressive Archives,

My band, Mars Hollow has a brand new 9:30-length epic for your listening pleasure, located here:

www.myspace.com/marshollow

If you like Transatlantic -- and who doesn't? -- and the other classic Big Three prog acts along with bands like Frost* and Spock's Beard, please, by all means, have a listen. All you have to lose is 9:30 of your time.

The album is ready to go and -- shock! -- we've got a handful of independent, small, well-respected prog labels showing interest in releasing the album.

The record was produced by King Crimson associate Ronan Chris Murphy and it sounds really, really fine; you be the judge.

I'm betting we'll be coming out of the "unsigned bands" forum sooner rather than later, but who knows what the future unfolds?

Thanks in advance, any comments -- good or otherwise -- are certainly appreciated.

kErrY
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 18:06
If The Mars Volta didn't exist, your name would be different.

Just kiddin'! Wink

I really like the song you have up on your myspace page! The artwork isnt bad, either. Certainly better than I could do on both fronts.

I'll be looking forward to what the future holds for you guys! Approve

Edited by p0mt3 - November 11 2009 at 18:08
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 18:07
Hi Kerry,

Just gave it one listen, a really cool tune, I think you fit along nicely with current bands like Syzygy (don't know why, but they came to mind as I was listening to the tune).
In any case, looking forward to more tunes from you guys.

Question: weren't you once called Next?

BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 13:44
yea, till recently they were going by Next.  I don't hear the Syzygy comparison, but I liked this tune.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
kErrYkOMpOsT View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 16:14
Dudes -- thanks!

I can't call myself a Mars Volta fan although a friend of mine -- Linda Good -- played keys with them a few tours ago. A little too jammy for my tastes.

We were originally called NEXT; I told our producer tthere was already a semi-defunct R&B band on a major label with the same name, so he suggested we change it.

"Mars Hollow" is actually a bitchin' swamp in the sticks of Colchester, Vermont, where I grew up. My childhood friends and I would ride our bikes for what seemed like  miles to get there and fish for catfish off of an old wooden-plank  bridge. I always liked the name "Mars Hollow" -- it had a weird,  mysterious vibe to it.

Turns out there's this wacky cultish sub-culture of weirdos who believe the planet Mars is hollow and the US government is keeping it a secret -- look it up, I'm not joking!!!

Thanks again for listening, hopefully the album will be out very soon -- it's 100% done (thanks for the artwork comments!), we just need a label and/or a home for the damned thing.

kErrY
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 16:25
^ I agree with you completely on the The Mars Volta being a little too much. The only album of theirs I can truly say I 'love' is the first one. After that, they all lost their minds.

Personally, I don't like any prog music that simply shows off the musicians' chops and doesn't actually serve the song. I'm that glad that your music isn't like that; something I really enjoyed about that song of yours is that, while it's long and epic in its own right, it never goes over-the-top. Very tastefully done! Clap

Anyway, I wish the best for you guys, and hope to hear the finished product soon!

Edited by p0mt3 - November 12 2009 at 16:25
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 12:27
We're signing with a label this week! The record will be coming out sooner rather than later. Details as they develop.

Thanks for listening.

kErrY
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 12:58
Thanks to the support of you good people, we've made it out of the "Unsigned Bands" category -- thanks! I posted this in the "Press Release" section but what the heck, I'm posting it here, too:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

March 23, 2010

MARS HOLLOW Release Self-Titled Debut on 10T Records

Charleston, SC - March 23, 2010 (10T Records) - 10T Records is excited to announce the release of the full length debut CD release by Mars Hollow on June 8, 2010. Mars Hollow are based out of Southern California's musically fertile San Fernando Valley, where some of rock's classic albums have been recorded. Comprised of four veteran musicians - John Baker (vocals/guitar), Jerry Beller (drums/vocals), Kerry Chicoine (bass/vocals) and Steve Mauk (keyboards/vocals) - Mars Hollow blend their unique individual musical voices into one captivating whole.

Mars Hollow take the foundation of '70's progressive rock - classical-based song structures combined with melodic pop and rock sensibilities - and update this classic formula for the new millennium. Seamlessly blending unexpected instrumental passages with traditional progressive, pop and rock motifs, Mars Hollow strive for songwriting balance sprinkled with the left-turns necessary to keep the music challenging and moving. In other words, it's all about the song.

Mars Hollow's self-titled debut album was produced, mixed and mastered by King Crimson associate Ronan Chris Murphy. Ronan has also been involved with such artists as Terry Bozzio, Steve Morse, Tony Levin, Steve Stevens, Mike Keneally, the California Guitar Trio, and Nels Cline.

"We're very happy to be on the 10T Records roster," says Mars Hollow bassist/songwriter Kerry Chicoine, "and, considering the caliber of the artists they've signed in the past, we're very flattered as well. We're looking forward to a positive and fulfilling relationship with 10T Records."

"There are some bands that have that unique ability to instantly captivate the ear and dominate your attention," says 10T Records president, Steve Carroll. "Mars Hollow was able to accomplish that feat almost instantly within the first track of their debut CD and then hold onto it throughout. We are genuinely excited to be able to bring this music to a larger audience."

"Mars Hollow" is available for immediate pre-sale through the 10T Records website. All orders received between now and the official release date will ship by the end of the week prior to the official release. Additionally, all tracks from "Mars Hollow" are available to preview in their entirety through the 10T Records website:

http://10trecords.com/artists/genres/progressive-experimental/mars-hollow/mars-hollow-discography/

After June 8, "Mars Hollow" will be available at your favorite retail outlet for immediate purchase.

For further information:
Steve Carroll
10T Records
www.10trecords.com

# # #

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 15:14
I just found your CD in the mail - I'm Raffaella Berry from Progressor, and also a collaborator here at PA. Thanks a lot for sending it to me! Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for your reviewSmile.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 21:20
Hi Kerry,

I pre-ordered both your and Rebel Wheel's albums from 10T, looking forward to get them both.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2010 at 10:42
Listened to your album earlier this morning, and was very impressed. It doesn't happen that often to me when I listen to an album for the first timeThumbs Up.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2010 at 17:21
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Listened to your album earlier this morning, and was very impressed. It doesn't happen that often to me when I listen to an album for the first timeThumbs Up.

Cool, thank you for having a listen, Raffaella, and please know that I well and truly appreciate it. I hope the music and lyrics inspire you to write a review -- we could use all the help we can get LOL.

Thanks again, Raffaella!!!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2010 at 17:22
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Hi Kerry,  I pre-ordered both your and Rebel Wheel's albums from 10T, looking forward to get them both.

Avestin, I don't know what to say except to offer you a heartfelt "thanks" -- very, very much appreciate it. Hope you get it ASAP and that it pushes all your prog buttons.

And, yeah, that The Rebel Wheel album is fantastic! So stoked to be on the same label with those folks.

Thanks again!!!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2010 at 17:25
Originally posted by kErrYkOMpOsT kErrYkOMpOsT wrote:

Cool, thank you for having a listen, Raffaella, and please know that I well and truly appreciate it. I hope the music and lyrics inspire you to write a review -- we could use all the help we can get LOL.

Thanks again, Raffaella!!!

After what I heard this morning, I will be doubly glad to review your album. I have lots of CDs to be reviewed at home, but very few of them have impressed me like yours. You will only have to be patient, because we are backlogged, and the site can only support a few updates at a time.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2010 at 18:27

After what I heard this morning, I will be doubly glad to review your album. I have lots of CDs to be reviewed at home, but very few of them have impressed me like yours. You will only have to be patient, because we are backlogged, and the site can only support a few updates at a time.

Wow! Really glad it's resonating with you, Raff. As for patience, all I know is perfection takes time. Thanks for the heads up.

The weekend awaits!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2010 at 08:20
hmmm...  haven't listened to this yet...   putting this on next. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 17:56
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hmmm...  haven't listened to this yet...   putting this on next.

Hope it works for you, Micky.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2010 at 19:53
I'm thinking of getting this myself. VERY nice!

E
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 18:44
E-dub -- what can I do to convince you? PM me!
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 09:41
Saw this for sale on Laser's Edge.  Looks interesting and I will check out the sample.  Are they in the works for being added to PA?
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>