Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 23:28
Originally posted by StrangerByTheMinute StrangerByTheMinute wrote:

The Jonas Brothers and Katy Perry. 

well done
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 23:30
I agree with Harry and Henry Plainview, no such thing to my knowledge...every band has a turkey or at least a below average release.  
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 01:52
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Oh goody, a thread to bring out the rampant fanboyism present in too many members of this site, cos sh*t, we need more of these.

Had to be said. Thumbs Up

The longer, softer and neutered version might go something like this:

By proffering examples of artists you honestly consider have never vandalised your ears or (here's the clincher it's Can Do No Wrong not Could) and never will produce what you deem aural poo in the future just might leave you open to charges of:

1 - Indiscriminate fanboyism

2 - Being so blinkered you can't even see your rider

3 - Necromancy. To be burned at the stake for using your witchy powers to see into the future (but don't put a bet on runner number 2)

Any band with a discography of say, at least 5 albums has invariably undercooked/overcooked a turkey at one time. It dosen't make them a bad band, it's just the way creativity has peaks and troughs during any musician's career.

BTW I don't think any of the foregoing was the thread starter's intention.

Fair enough, and well said.

Yet, I think it's the spirit rather than the letter of the thread that matters here.
I assume we can all just take it as given that musicians aren't gods and that they inevitably fail and disappoint as everyone and everything inevitably has to.  Of course no band can actually do no wrong.

But, as Samuel Beckett has it, "Fail again.  Fail better."  So who are the musicians we find ourselves still enamoured of in their fallen moments, whose failures still thrill us?  

For all the fair cautions against fanboyism, we could also approach this by saying, right, given that no band's perfect, who would you be willing to risk saying I think this band is consistently worth listening to, album to album, a band whose work promises a potential of greatness over a career?   
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 03:17
"Fanboyism????"

Gimme a break!

I am definitely NOT a Jethro Tull fanboy. I can see a myriad things that are wrong with the band. I don't particularly like the "back to the Middle Ages", "back to the countryside" spirit of some of their best-known albums, I don't enjoy the way John Evan messed up bits of Beethoven live on stage, I find many of Ian Anderson lyrics terribly vapid, while in the 1980s his balladeering grew more and more narcissistic...

I could give you a hundred things that are wrong with the band. But even if I might skip the occasional track, I still enjoy most of their albums from A to Z.

There are, I fear, no artists with immaculate discographies. (The Hatfields and the Health are exceptions because their careers were so short.)

But you can take your bitterness and PUT it somewhere. Makes you feel like real grown-ups, don't it, just accusing others of something stoopid when they're happily explaining what they really enjoy?
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 03:54
There are several bands from whom I own their entire discography and don't think they've ever done an actually bad album. But there are only two bands I can think of right now who have done only great albums and nothing else. System of a Down and The Mars Volta. And if we count live albums and such into this, it drops TMV off the short list. Scabdates is actually pretty bad. SoaD has no such stains at all.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 05:38
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

"Fanboyism????"

Gimme a break!

I am definitely NOT a Jethro Tull fanboy. I can see a myriad things that are wrong with the band. I don't particularly like the "back to the Middle Ages", "back to the countryside" spirit of some of their best-known albums, I don't enjoy the way John Evan messed up bits of Beethoven live on stage, I find many of Ian Anderson lyrics terribly vapid, while in the 1980s his balladeering grew more and more narcissistic...

I could give you a hundred things that are wrong with the band. But even if I might skip the occasional track, I still enjoy most of their albums from A to Z.

There are, I fear, no artists with immaculate discographies. (The Hatfields and the Health are exceptions because their careers were so short.)

But you can take your bitterness and PUT it somewhere. Makes you feel like real grown-ups, don't it, just accusing others of something stoopid when they're happily explaining what they really enjoy?

That last part seems a bit of an overreaction ? No-ones remotely bitter (not sure where that barb came from ?) and no-one is calling anyone stupid. The only reason some of us have misgivings about some of the responses to date (including yours) is that they are unequivocally an admission that the bands cited can do wrong occasionally. You even make reference to skipping some tracks by JT entirely !
Therefore, it might be an indication that the original post has been misinterpreted ? What any of this has to do with me being considered an adult (I'm 47) is completely lost on me Confused.
Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:17
Kayo Dot is the only band I know in which every single thing they do I consider brilliant in some way!

That goes for everything Toby Driver has done so far...
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
Marcin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:31
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Esbjörn Svensson Trio.

They scaled up to masterliness with each work (or maybe starting after the early period), nevertheless I can definitely think of them as the spotless of all the bands I love.

side-note: there is Esbjorn's Layers Of Night (with Nils Landgren) that's shockingly irregular, but that's not Trio accountable.

agree! I have all their discography and there is no week album at all...and when we are talking about contemporary jazz I have to mention great trumpeter Tomasz Stanko- many different projects, huge discography and I have enjoyed them all!
gabby56 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 07:52
Guys, you have forgotten Van Der Graaf Generator. Every album is a masterpiece. There is no bad album there.
Smile, you don't have much to live
S a t o r i View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 08:20
R U S H
Period!
bluegecko View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 09:50
For me, I can t think of many bands that have over 5 studio album, that I have all their CD to know them fairly well and that have no bad album.
The only band fitting this criteria for me is Arena.
BlueGecko
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 11:04

What any of this has to do with me being considered an adult (I'm 47) is completely lost on me Confused.

Two points.

1. I don't want to be accused of "rampant fanboyism" simply because (to my own surprise!) I'll gladly listen to most of a certain band's discography. All I wanted to say is that it sounds immature if people are all too ready to label enthusiastic listeners as "fanboys". (Where does this ugly word come from, actually? I'd never heard or seen it until I bumped into Progarchives. Do British teens use it, or is it mainly American?) I personally listen to a wide variety of artists, in many different genres. And just for the record, I'm 49.

2. You may be right I didn't read the original post carefully enough. Where I differ from vibrationbaby, I guess, is that I tend to use my fast forward button freely... But I mainly wanted to confirm it's strange that, with certain bands, you keep listening to large swathes of their discography and they don't get on your nerves. For me, it's the same kind of experience as with Mozart or Haydn (not that I want to insinuate the music is on the same level): the repertoire is huge, and there's joy in nearly everything the artists have to offer. I thought this in itself was a wonderful idea for a thread! So thank you, vibrationbaby.

Edited by fuxi - December 06 2009 at 11:06
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 12:10
Thank Rush.

I don't think there's any band that is without flaw including Jethro Tull. Of course the  probablility for a dud increases with a band's output ( Tull managed to atone for the not-so-great A album with the subsequent Braodsword album. I even drag A out and listen to it from time to time. Really.  I was just watching some Rush on youtube and had a rare Rush attack and watched a bunch of their videos because I had time and sort of  could relate to all the Rush fanatics that are here because of my penchant for Tull and other bands such as GG, KC, Guru Guru, Grobschnitt etc etc. I guess that could go for Mariah Carey fanatics too. To each their own. ( Even though anyone who is a Mariah Carey fanatic should seek out the best medical help that is available to them). 
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 12:24
Campo Di Marte (they have only one studio album and one live)
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 12:30
Badger. 
Evan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 14:47
Steely Dan and Donald Fagen for me.  Such perfectionists and it shows!  When I'm working, running, sleeping, etc I just put all their albums together on shuffle and when each track comes on its a pleasant surprise!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 16:31
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

What any of this has to do with me being considered an adult (I'm 47) is completely lost on me Confused.

Two points.

1. I don't want to be accused of "rampant fanboyism" simply because (to my own surprise!) I'll gladly listen to most of a certain band's discography. All I wanted to say is that it sounds immature if people are all too ready to label enthusiastic listeners as "fanboys". (Where does this ugly word come from, actually? I'd never heard or seen it until I bumped into Progarchives. Do British teens use it, or is it mainly American?) I personally listen to a wide variety of artists, in many different genres. And just for the record, I'm 49.

2. You may be right I didn't read the original post carefully enough. Where I differ from vibrationbaby, I guess, is that I tend to use my fast forward button freely... But I mainly wanted to confirm it's strange that, with certain bands, you keep listening to large swathes of their discography and they don't get on your nerves. For me, it's the same kind of experience as with Mozart or Haydn (not that I want to insinuate the music is on the same level): the repertoire is huge, and there's joy in nearly everything the artists have to offer. I thought this in itself was a wonderful idea for a thread! So thank you, vibrationbaby.

1 - Fair enough, 'fanboy' cannot be directed at someone who is clearly a discerning listener

2 - Not an interpretation of the OP I would share, but a valid one nevertheless

3 - I have no idea where the loathsome 'fb' expression originated but I suspect it's cradle was the internet.

Lord Krodius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 18:46
Dream Theater, without a doubt. I consider everything I've heard from them (which is just about everything) to be quality music, even the widely-criticized Falling Into Infinity.
"Somewhere, like a scene from a memory, there's a picture worth a thousand words..."
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 19:13
The Mars Volta
Russian Circles
Rush
Tool
ISIS
Sigur Ros
Porcupine Tree
chemebien View Drop Down