Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - John Zorn to release an album every month in 2010
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Zorn to release an album every month in 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Zorn to release an album every month in 2010
    Posted: April 21 2010 at 22:23

Three new albums available, a little leaner than last month. John Zorn/Fred Frith, Ned Rothenberg--Quintet for Clarinet and Strings, and AutorNyo--Pastrami Bagel Social Club. This is only based on the 30 second samples, but Late Works is intriguing because it seems like the studio has focused their efforts more, and Zorn seems particularly aggressive after his string of melody releases. Quintet is a potentially promising classical album, but it's hard to tell, and AutorNyo is *yawn* more klezmer rock.

if you own a sodastream i hate you
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 01:30
I also found a video of Ned Rothenberg on Roulette TV, you can even download it if you want.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 01:28
Oh wait, here they are. 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:48
If you want, I could try to find those again, but it could take me a while to find them again, I didn't save them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:37
Yeah, those videos.

Yeah, Lemming, I looked up some Foetus on Youtube. I don't know why somebody like him would be interested in writing 20th century classical music. I also can't imagine it being very good, but that's a separate issue.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:36
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

New albums for March! Zorn's is Ipos: Book of Angels Vol. 14, and for me the most interesting thing about it is that the cover is different colors on Tzadik and Amazon, but that may be unfair.

There is also Ned Rothenberg, which sounds cool to me and reminds me of somebody else who was playing avant jazz with an asian instrument but I can't remember her name (Person, do you remember?); Jamie Saft, who has recorded quite a few albums for Tzadik and this seems to be more of the same, and JG Thirlwell, which appears to be a post-punk/industrial musician writing classical music.

Do you mean those videos I found? Or something else?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:30
JG Thirwell was the guy behind You've Got Foetus On Your Breath who released a lot of industrial/sampled noise collage thingies in the 80's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 00:21
New albums for March! Zorn's is Ipos: Book of Angels Vol. 14, and for me the most interesting thing about it is that the cover is different colors on Tzadik and Amazon, but that may be unfair.

There is also Ned Rothenberg, which sounds cool to me and reminds me of somebody else who was playing avant jazz with an asian instrument but I can't remember her name (Person, do you remember?); Jamie Saft, who has recorded quite a few albums for Tzadik and this seems to be more of the same, and JG Thirlwell, which appears to be a post-punk/industrial musician writing classical music.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 14:50
Still giving it spins. Casual, homogeneous and jazzy, meaning either average or, as stated already, casual. I think o'O last year (the only one I can compared it with at the moment) was worthier.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2010 at 17:16
Please report back I'm on the fence about buying it.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2010 at 16:39
Listening to In Search Of The Miraculous tonight.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2010 at 16:32
Book of Angels Vol. 13 is f**king amazing.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 11:33

Unless you're already a fan of Ben Goldberg, I wouldn't count on it. Whoever writes the descriptions for Tzadik is huffing glue, if not something stronger. Not only is every album awesome, almost every album they release is that artist's best album yet...

LOL
I noticed that they were over enthusiastic. Nevertheless, I'm still interested.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 23:41
Unless you're already a fan of Ben Goldberg, I wouldn't count on it. Whoever writes the descriptions for Tzadik is huffing glue, if not something stronger. Not only is every album awesome, almost every album they release is that artist's best album yet...
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 23:27

I don't like to double post, but here I go:
In Search of the Miraculous and Chimeras are both available now, as are Terry Riley--Autodreamographical Tales and John King--10 Mysteries. There's also the following information on another Book of Angels:

Ben Goldberg Quartet: Baal: The Book Of Angels vol. 15 [#7381]
A mind blowing and fiery new quartet featuring Ben Goldberg, one the true pioneers of Radical Jewish Culture whose groundbreaking group New Klezmer Trio proved an important influence on the Masada legacy. Turning his hand to Masada music in this fabulous all star quartet organized, arranged and conducted by Zorn himself, Ben plays like never before, displaying a sensitive virtuosity and a brilliant sense of sound and space. At times moody, intense, meditative, driving, lyrical and atmospheric, this is brilliant Jewish chamber music from four longtime and intimate members of the Masada family. Absolutely stunning!

Sounds like I need to hear that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2010 at 23:11
I don't like to double post, but here I go:
In Search of the Miraculous and Chimeras are both available now, as are Terry Riley--Autodreamographical Tales and John King--10 Mysteries. There's also the following information on another Book of Angels:

Ben Goldberg Quartet: Baal: The Book Of Angels vol. 15 [#7381]
A mind blowing and fiery new quartet featuring Ben Goldberg, one the true pioneers of Radical Jewish Culture whose groundbreaking group New Klezmer Trio proved an important influence on the Masada legacy. Turning his hand to Masada music in this fabulous all star quartet organized, arranged and conducted by Zorn himself, Ben plays like never before, displaying a sensitive virtuosity and a brilliant sense of sound and space. At times moody, intense, meditative, driving, lyrical and atmospheric, this is brilliant Jewish chamber music from four longtime and intimate members of the Masada family. Absolutely stunning!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 20:59
Squidco has generously uploaded samples of Mycale, since John is so reluctant to give anything away on the Tzadik page. I was originally a skeptic about this project, but now I'm really interested.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 06:04
^Marty, Naked City is great album, but hard-core (extreme) sound, so it's more for lovers possibly. Knowing your love to more pleasant music, possibly better start from "Spillane" (1987), "Alhambra" and "'0" from last year are both good too, in similar vein. If you not afraid of a bit free jazz + great hot folk/world combination (klezmer in that case), you can just try any Masada. For those far from jazz, I can strongly recommend Electric Masada, great electric jazz fusion with klezmer roots and some avant-garde (not too much) inside.

Always better to start with more accessible albums, if you will like it, just could make another step deeper.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 03:46

Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

I thought Naked City was awful, aside from the first track. The Masada albums are really cool, though.

Will go for this one. Let the rule of luck decide. Anyway, I'm mostly trying to find positives on a record

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2010 at 21:44
Mycale: Book of Angels Vol. 13 is now available at Tzadik, although Amazon isn't getting it until the 26th. This month he also released Noah Creshevsky's Twilight of the Gods (I hadn't heard of him before, but what I could find online of his previous work is some of the most disorienting music I've ever heard), Mark Feldman and Sylvie Corvoisier's Oblivia (The samples of their previous work is great), and Yuka Honda's Heart Chamber Phantoms (I don't care).

There's also this information about the upcoming Zorn albums:

John Zorn: In Search Of The Miraculous [#7379]
Inspired by esoteric spiritual practices, white magic, ritual, traditional myths and ancient legends, Zorn brings together a life long interest in mysticism with powerful lyricism to fashion this dynamic and evocative series of Odes for the New Millennium. Featuring the landmark extended composition The Magus, one of Zorn's most exciting new works, the music takes on a scintillating new edge—dramatic, hypnotic and mysterious. Performed by the remarkable Alhambra Trio enhanced by special guests Kenny Wollesen on vibraphone, Carol Emanuel on harp and Shanir Blumenkranz on Fender bass, In Search of the Miraculous is a deeply moving listening experience—ecstatic music for young and old that touches on the sublime!
The Dreamers: Ipos: The Book Of Angels vol. 14 [#7380]
The dynamic sextet featured in two of Zorn's most recent and popular musical projects-The Dreamers and O'o-jump another level in Ipos, their most beautiful and powerful recording to date. Featuring ten new compositions from the lyrical Book of Angels, the music draws exotica, surf, world music, latin jazz, rock, film music and more into a seductive new musical world. Perfect for the early morning, late at night, at home or in the car, The Dreamers play Masada is truly a magical combination. Powerful new music performed by an all-star band of downtown masters.
Fred Frith/John Zorn Duo: Late Works [#7382]
Fred Frith and John Zorn have a close working relationship that's has been fruitful since they first met in 1978. Close friends and cohorts, veterans of many ensembles and bands, they are two of the downtown scene’s founding fathers. Sharing a love for improvisation, composition and music from all over the map, they have developed a unique duo language that jumps from moment to moment with lightening speed and a near-endless imagination. Their yearly sold-out duo performances are some of the most anticipated events in New Music and while their previous releases have all been documents of these exciting concerts, here they enter the studio for 
the first time in a beautiful recording of improvisation at its very best. Two of the world's greatest experimental instrumentalists in wild telepathic interplay!
John Zorn: Chimeras [#7085b]
Newly revised, this is the definitive version of a Zorn masterpiece! Loosely inspired by the remarkable worlds of Henry Darger, Lewis Carroll and Unica Zürn which throw childlike innocence against a backdrop of violence and perversion, Chimeras is one of Zorn’s greatest works in the classical tradition. A work of fantasy and imagination scored for a Pierrot Lunaire ensemble plus percussion, the work has been resequenced, remastered and a brief, fleeting newly recorded postlude has been added. Dramatic and colorful, Chimeras is a work filled with femininity, innocence, beauty and violence.

Personally, I'm interested in Frith/Zorn going into the studio, but I don't care much about the others based on the description, but of course with Tzadik it's hard to say how accurate those descriptions really are. More importantly to some people here, he will be releasing a new Terry Riley album!

Terry Riley: Autodreamographical Tales [#8070]
One of the most influential musicians on the planet, Terry Riley is the father of both minimalism and the downtown scene, having incorporated improvisation into his work from as far back as the early 1960s. This project, a musical dream diary, was created in 1996 and features Terry playing and telling stories from his unconscious. Coupled with his legendary Hook Lecture from Sydney, Australia, Autodreamographical Tales is unique in the Riley discography—a CD of spoken word with music. Incredibly evocative musical backgrounds highlight these strange stories read with eloquence and panache by one of most important musical figures of the late 20th century. At 75, still writing and performing with incredible power, magic and love, Terry Riley remains THE MAN—the hippest, coolest cat around.

Edited by Henry Plainview - January 24 2010 at 21:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>