Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNightwish Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nightwish Appreciation Thread
    Posted: January 19 2010 at 15:48
Well... it's evident that this band makes a lot of controversy around this places. Besides that, Nightwish have great musical instrumentation and merge operatic voices with metal and symphonic rock... sadly, the image of that concept have been stolen by gothic people but the worth of their music is out there...

So I invite you to share your ideas and feelings about this band... I like a lot the power of the voice of Tarja and even the more pop voice of the new singer Anette is quite appealing... So... I hope that many join me in this appreciation thread...

For those who don't like them as a prog band, my advise is that you here their epic song called The Poet and The Pendulum... wonderful song...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 19:24
i like Nightwish, especially ''oceanborn '' album .the comcept of operatic voices with metal and symphonic rock works really well and it was something fresh and new at the time. the problem now is that you can have like 100000000 bands that sounds like nightwish so now is tiresome,boring and no really original

Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 21:27
I concur that their earlier albums were definitely worth listening too, as long as you're into power metal. Good ideas, somewhat progressive, despite what anyone says.

There are even some great gems on their more recent stuff (Ghost Love Score, The Siren, and Creek Mary's Blood are awesome!). It's a shame though, I found very little interesting stuff and was thoroughly disappointed with Dark Passion Play.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 21:33
I don't find them very progressive at all, perhaps some elements, but I really like this band, and Tarja's voice is really wonderful. A shame she and Nightwish went separate ways, Anette just doesn't do the same. In the album she did a good job (as a rock singer only), but I saw them on concert, and she couldn't even sing that well the stuff from their new album, and it was even worst with the very few older pieces they played.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 22:12

Well... I find in Anette album that she can appeal to a younger and less gothic fans and that's well with me... If you have the chance to hear the Tarjas solo album... great but a lot less energetic and more static but she is still singing wonderful... so, I like both bands... or projects... even the lead singing of the bass player is good enough... a little glowing voice but just enough to don't mess up everything...

@Topofsm: didn't you like The Islander and The Poet and The Pendulum...???
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 23:05
^I enjoyed those ones, as well as last of the Wilds. I do find the former, though, a bit bland as an epic, though it's still pretty good. I mean, when they're trying to follow up songs like "Ghost Love Score" and "Creek Mary's Blood" on the previous album, I think it's hard for them. It doesn't help that I dislike Anette's voice.Tongue

I do enjoy the band though. Oceanborn and Wishmaster are great albums.Thumbs Up

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 22:35
Tarja's solo album was rahter cool too. Not as bombastic, certainly, but it's got something that makes it interesting.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 22:41
And what do you guys think about their cover of Pink Floyd's High Hopes? I myself thought it was cool that they decided to cover it, but in the end was a bit disapointed with the song. I believe they could have done better: It was too rough, they might have mixed softer moments with full blown metal (as they have proved they can do), and they could have attempted to get closer to the guitar solo at the end, and a bit of Tarja's involvment wouldn't have hurt.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 11:08
Agreed... good cover but nothing special... that's something that I really don't like of them... well, I like their music but don't share the idea of the band playing while the singer is changing her cloth backstage... or that the keyboard player compose the songs alone and the rest is just like a backup band... the involvement of Tarja in the arrangements could work better but that's how they work... don't like as well that the keyboard player cannot play all that he composes live... he uses too much midi-samples... but then again... the music is OK...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 21:45
Well, for the metal concerts I've seen from this kind of bands, it seems very common that when they play live, many parts are recorded instead of played live, and in some way that's understandable, since it would be extremely expensive to go on tour with an orchestra and a huge choir. However, last month I saw Haggard live, and well, it was most desapointing that the drummer wasn't with them, but they had his parts recorded!!! I just don't know what happened with him, but surely we wouldn't expect the drummer missing in a rock concert. Well, however, sometimes I think it would be cool if Nightwish and similar bands would tour it an extra keyboard player, perhaps 2 or 3 singers for the choir and a few extra instruments like violin, chello, flute, or so, and just re-arrange their songs to fit this lesser amount of musicians, but play it all live (well, perhaps even this would be too expensive for such bands, but hell, an extra keyboard player can do really a lot of the sounds they need).
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 12:22
Don't forget to check my review about Nightwish Highest Hopes here in the site...

InClouds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 14:51
I don't think of them as all that progressive, but they're still a great band.  Their most progressive songs would probably be stuff like Beauty of the Beast, Ghost Love Score, Creek Mary's Blood, and definitely The Poet and the Pendulum, all of which are fantastic songs.  I'm not sure why some people dislike Dark Passion Play so much, I really enjoyed it.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 20:37
Oceanborn and Wishmaster are my favorites of theirs.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 09:52

A very interesting band, but not progressive IMO.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 11:07
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

Well... it's evident that this band makes a lot of controversy around this places. Besides that, Nightwish have great musical instrumentation and merge operatic voices with metal and symphonic rock... sadly, the image of that concept have been stolen by gothic people but the worth of their music is out there...
who are these "gothic people" you speak of? Nightwish's audience during their early years was predominately the  European gothic metal community and their style of Symphonic Power Metal was undoubtedly influenced by Gothic Metal bands that arouse during the mid 90s, including many female-fronted groups such as The Gathering, Theatre of Tragedy, Trail Of Tears and Dreams Of Sanity (all of whom pre-date Nightwish by several years). Bands that formed around the same time as Nightwish (Edenbridge, Tristania, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Cybele, Elis, Beseech) were also following that template and not copying Nightwish per sey. That just leaves a few later bands (Evanesence, Epica, After Forever) who perhaps did lean on the "mainstream" success of Nightwish, but again, I think their roots are more firmly planted in Gothic Metal than Symphonic Power Metal - of all the bands the only two that springs to mind who arrived at this formula from the Power Metal direction were Nightwish and Thereon.

Nightwish moved towards the gothic with each album (most notably with Once, but the trend was there from Wishmaster at least) - the "gothic people" were already there exploring symphonic soundscapes long before Nightwish approached from the opposite direction (I prefer Dreams Of Sanity's cover of Phantom Of The Opera more than the Nightwish version that was done three years later).

Anyway, that aside - yes, I'm a fan of Nightwish (though not necessarily of Tarja's vocals) and think Dark Passion Play is one of their best.

...has anybody heard Sara Jezebel Deva's solo album? Is it worth getting?
What?
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 16:40
A very enjoyable band, but as others have stated, it's not exactly progressive per se, and with Tarja's departure this has become even more evident. However, I do like Anette's original approach and how she didn't try to be a Tarja impersonator. For that I give her a big thumbs up.
Property of Queen Productions...
 Post Reply Post Reply