Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interview with Charlie Dominici (ex Dream Theater)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInterview with Charlie Dominici (ex Dream Theater)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Charlie Dominici (ex Dream Theater)
    Posted: February 22 2010 at 14:33
Thought you guys would care to read an interview done last week (Feb. 17, 2010) with 1st Dream Theater vocalist, Charlie Dominici.

We discussed his 3 CD Trilogy set, future plans, etc...  Below is the interview.  Go to http://blog.loudtrax.com to see full interview.

(BTW...I did not post in interview section as it's not excl. to prog archives...)

Interview....
In 1989, Dream Theater released their debut album “When Day and Dream Unite” with Charlie Dominici on lead vocals.  They parted ways after that and Charlie was only seen again on the music forefront in 2005 when he released the first part of the “O3 A Trilogy” under the artist name “DOMINICI”.  2nd part followed in 2007 and final part, in 2008.  I hooked up with Charlie for an interview to see what’s new with the famed Progressive Metal vocalist and composer. 

LT Well Charlie, thank you very much for taking the time to answer a few questions for LoudTrax.com.  Tell us what you have been up to since the release of the final part of the Trilogy in 2008.

CD Things have been pretty difficult for me since part 3 came out. My cat was killed, I left my wife, moved back to San Diego and spent the last year and a half trying to put my financial life back together piece by piece-other than that things are good!

LT From 2005 to 2008, DOMINICI released a 3 album Trilogy “O3 – A Trilogy”.  Looking back today with a couple years gone by, tell us about your favorite parts and songs from the Trilogy.

CD Actually my favorite is part 3. Mainly because it is the heaviest but also because of the way it was written and recorded. It was done almost on-the-fly because we wrote and recorded the entire CD as we went. No lyrics were written before I went to Italy to work with the band. We also wrote all of the music when I got there with the exception of 2 songs that the guys had already worked on previously before I arrived. We just went into the studio, where I also slept every night, and hammered it all out.

LT  There was such a long time lapse from the When Dream and Day Unite album to the first album in the trilogy.  However, the result was well received by fans and critics, with Part 3 being considered by many as a "must have" Progressive Metal album.

Are you planning a new release / project?  If not, what would inspire to work on another project?

CD I’m letting things progress as they may. I would like to do another CD and most of all I would love to go on tour. Unfortunately, these decisions are not entirely up to me. The band is in Italy and I am in California. The record label has gone bankrupt and since has been bought up by another company in Germany. We’ll see what develops. That said, I have been leaning towards doing something a bit more like what people expect from a CD and not a concept album at all.

Maybe just a balls-to-the-wall prog metal CD full of rocking songs that are not connected like the trilogy.

LT  Have you written much since the Part 3 album?

CD I’m always full of ideas. I prefer to complete these ideas when I’m in the presence of the musicians that are playing the stuff with me. That keeps things more fresh and most of all it always makes for a better recording when it is collaboration.

LT  You have a forum on your website in which you are very active in.  How important is it to you to talk directly to your fans?

CD I love doing that but lately my time has been very limited. There is a lot of other stuff I need to do to keep things going and the forum is very time consuming.

LT  After the departure from DT, had you considered joining other bands at that time?

CD Not really. I stayed to myself and waited for an inspiration which obviously came in 2005.

LT If you haven't had a chance to check out the Trilogy, listen to songs on the DOMINICI on their MySpace Page or pick up a copy.  Fans will not be disappointed!

Edited by LOUDTRAX - February 23 2010 at 14:03
www.Loudtrax.com
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 02:55
Re "(BTW...I did not post in interview section as it's not excl. to prog archives...)"

Thanks for considering that Loudy. I think in this case it still sits best here though. Your post makes it clear its not an exclusive to this site.Big smile
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 05:49
Why do they ask the same question twice... and get the same exact answer both times?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 10:00
Must be a consistency check!LOL
LOUDTRAX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2010 at 14:03
hey thanks i did not notice.  at first i only posted the first bti of the interview, then i figured might as well post the whole thing.

www.Loudtrax.com
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 13:50
Actually, he's the second DT vocalist. Except for that, the interview is excellent. 
LOUDTRAX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 09:06
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Actually, he's the second DT vocalist. Except for that, the interview is excellent. 

hey thanks.  i meant 1st singer on officially released records

cheers for checking it out
Antonio
www.Loudtrax.com
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 09:17
Originally posted by LOUDTRAX LOUDTRAX wrote:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

hey thanks.  i meant 1st singer on officially released records

cheers for checking it out
Antonio

Oh, that is for sure.

Keep up the good work.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply