Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlues or Jazz (influences on prog)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 14:30
both Jazz and Blues have influenced progressive music a great deal, starting with the creation of rock music. It would be quite hard for me to say which one had a greater influence, I guess it would depend on which line of prog we are considering, but I certainly have enjoyed both very much.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 04:18
Rock was based on blues, as was jazz. Both developed artistically and progressive rock has far more in common with 20th Century classical than blues. Bruford's Earthworks is jazz but Yes is more classical. Just lok at Zappa. Jazz and Varese and Stravinsky everywhere. Genesis and ItaProg is all Renassance (16th C. inspired classical rock fusions.)

I once read that one fo the key features of progressive rock is that it should not be evidently blues oriented. Most blues is a structured form. Blues would pertain more to Johnny Winter and Ten Years After for example than Steve Howe and oh yes, King Crimson.

Around the time of his Islands band Fripp found his KC were playing blues. He was sitting miserably in the background while this band (most of whom are now deceased) played bluesy ITCOTCK. No, the more blues, the less prog rock. Even jazz is not really there either. The sophistication certainly is  However most jazz bands blow the doors off most prog rock bands musically. e.g. Charles Mingus on bass is monumental. Also the general happiness in  most jazz doesn't really suit the atmospheres of progressive rock. Miles Davis was unique in that he played a minor key jazz alot and invented fusion (America's prog rock) but Miles is and was unique.

In fact it's only with US derived art music that allows blues to be present e.g. Hendrix. The European and British artists draw upon the most relevant past 400 or so years of orchestral tradition. Blues was a basis for the bands to begin, jazz allowed harmonic expansion (Canterbury, Zeuhl) but it's the orchestral traditions that give Uk? Euro prog rock a foundation.

IMHO...Wink
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 10:04
Jazz also rates high to the level of classical music in various detailed aspects. The dexterity required is as one within both styles. The demand of attention and hard working hours in solitude to mastermind various degrees within both styles. Charles Mingus was a true genius. I thank my lucky stars that I heard his music as a kid. Jazz demands close attention span with the listener. It's quite like progressive rock in the sense that upon every listen to a jazz record, one will hear something different. When I listen to a Coltrane album, I sometimes focus on Elvin Jones and block out Coltrane. And vice-versa. Each round you make with the recording you can personally apply listening focus upon the various musicians and after all this, you can listen to the composition and derive a different conclusion about the whole affair. I have a great appreciation for the Black race and the black community as a whole. It's rather foolish to some .....to say this...but think for a moment where the music world would be or what would it be without them?

They didn't just change music, they created music. Think about living without "Rock n" Roll, Chicago Blues, Delta blues, Jazz (progressive jazz, Bee Bop etc), Jazz/fusion, Soul, Motown, Funk. I can't see myself living without that, for what would be left in America without those inventions? Stephen Foster songs?LOL

I believe the black race is connected to the science of heredity. The musicians were impeccable beyond imaginable thought process of the intelligent. It's mind boggling. Their entire approach and level of composition is one of the most difficult path's for a musician to pursue. Various great rock n' roll artists like Chuck Berry were banned from public view and some industry idiot got the bright idea of having Fabian and many others with candy boy haircuts, to sing the black man's music. I remember this happening when I was a kid.  It was quite a disgraceful event and it angered all great musicians around the globe. They, as a race of people had their plates full with this consistency of brutality and yet were creating music that would inspire the entire world. I have issues regarding most adaptions of their blues and jazz compositions.

From Charlie Christian to Miles Davis to the thousands of kids in the 60's and 70's that sat by the turntable late at night, feverishly crafting their playing abilities on an instrument based off what artists like Miles Davis created, was a path followed for the sake of being a true dedicated musician. It was a mentality that was wide spread over the nation to all young musicians who took music seriously. Other races of people who were musicians spent the whole of their life trying to catch up to the various levels of music that derived from the black community. Analogy was the key along with the dexterity of one's hands. Also there was the great feat of mastering a universal style of improvisation. For me as a kid, Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon were the main source for the development of British rock. I would listen to Led Zeppelin's version of a blues masters song and my expectations were let down. The same goes for Ten Years After due to the fact that everything was played too fast and the blues masters piece was getting lost in clusters of notes. They were all english kids growing up on the music of the great blues masters. They were more kind and with open arms welcomed the black community of musicians into their lives, while supporting them regarding the issue of a record contract and fronting blues masters money to further their careers. Many blues masters burial places are in England. I didn't appreciate all of the British Blues Boom era efforts, but the British took a stand to support the blues masters music without allowing the issues of racial tension stand in the way. Which was too dominent in America at that time. Jazz music of various styles made it's way into Progressive rock through the interest of European and American musicians that spent their childhood collecting the albums and breathing the elements.      

jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 10:39
Both...
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2010 at 17:36
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

. I would listen to Led Zeppelin's version of a blues masters song and my expectations were let down. The same goes for Ten Years After due to the fact that everything was played too fast and the blues masters piece was getting lost in clusters of notes.

I compare Zeppelin's Lemon Song with Dixon's Killing Floor (by Howlin' Wolf) upon which Lemon Song was based. The Zeppelin number is heavy but (still a favourite with me) yet oddly groovelss compared to the Howlin' Wolf version which has what may be quietly termed as a kick ass funk groove.

However Zeppelin (and I'm also listening to a TYA boot from 1970 now) did their own thing with blues. If it had been slavish copying they would have been accused of copying. They did have a plagiarist accustation but other than not changing the lyrics for Whole Lotta Love (You Need Love) they did their own thing. Compare Memphis Minnie's Levee Breaks (vox and uke and she did get a credit) with the Zeppelin monster. They still created their own version of events. The blues / hard rock and prog rock bands all took their various influences and made what was probably the only real culturally serious rock (until maybe the mid 1990s when things started to pick up again in a quiet way.)

Incidentally Zeppelin did credit Willie Dixon with Killing Floor (I saw an original Zep 2 pressing once) only Atlantic changed that name and credit. Something odd there.

The speed and excitement was all part of the rock and roll thing. The Yardbirds bass lines with Samwell Smith playing were tremendously exciting - more so than the young Clapton's guitar playing which would come to fruition with Cream anyway. This is progressive music in the making. It's cultural heritage and youth music colliding.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:21
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

. I would listen to Led Zeppelin's version of a blues masters song and my expectations were let down. The same goes for Ten Years After due to the fact that everything was played too fast and the blues masters piece was getting lost in clusters of notes.

I compare Zeppelin's Lemon Song with Dixon's Killing Floor (by Howlin' Wolf) upon which Lemon Song was based. The Zeppelin number is heavy but (still a favourite with me) yet oddly groovelss compared to the Howlin' Wolf version which has what may be quietly termed as a kick ass funk groove.

However Zeppelin (and I'm also listening to a TYA boot from 1970 now) did their own thing with blues. If it had been slavish copying they would have been accused of copying. They did have a plagiarist accustation but other than not changing the lyrics for Whole Lotta Love (You Need Love) they did their own thing. Compare Memphis Minnie's Levee Breaks (vox and uke and she did get a credit) with the Zeppelin monster. They still created their own version of events. The blues / hard rock and prog rock bands all took their various influences and made what was probably the only real culturally serious rock (until maybe the mid 1990s when things started to pick up again in a quiet way.)

Incidentally Zeppelin did credit Willie Dixon with Killing Floor (I saw an original Zep 2 pressing once) only Atlantic changed that name and credit. Something odd there.

The speed and excitement was all part of the rock and roll thing. The Yardbirds bass lines with Samwell Smith playing were tremendously exciting - more so than the young Clapton's guitar playing which would come to fruition with Cream anyway. This is progressive music in the making. It's cultural heritage and youth music colliding.

The Yardbirds were indeed worthy to the blues listener. Sonny Boy Williamson live with the Yardbirds is quite enjoyble even though Sonny Boy Williamson was coughing up blood along with his health deterioration. A young Eric Clapton plays in a reserved fashion on this one and impresses me to no end. He plays quite intense blues improv on "Five Live Yardbirds". I often hear the opinion that Eric Clapton progressed his most with Cream. I see a reference in progression being hardly debatable at all in this case. The style he prsented in the Yardbirds, especially on 5LY, was an approach within a style of guitar playing that he had mastered to a high degree. He was growing and expanding musically in private and reaching the peak of a style before presenting it to the public. A clean straight through the amp sound with a small portion of reverb. I take him very seriously on this record. He is a young guy with speed and precision along with melodic content. He certainly did not sound this way with Cream. The style of Cream was very diverse but for some reason Clapton unconsciously did not include this style of guitar playing in the band's music.

I also enjoy "Over, Under, Sideways, Down. I don't care for their writing of psychedelic songs except for maybe a few and I focus more to the talents of Jeff Beck. You know the deal.....Jeff's Boogie where he emulates some Les Paul?.......I still can not concieve to this day, as to why Jeff Beck stopped writing?
It seemed that from Blow by Blow all the way up to "Who Else"?....someone else did all of the writing. If you check the writing credits on "Rough and Ready" you will see that he did all of the writing or maybe all but one song. But, he wrote great songs like "Got the Feeling" and "Situation"? Those songs are great and I'm a bit confused.

Jimmy Page I respected much more in the his early days as a session musician and his time spent with the Yardbirds.He went to Art school with Sandy Denny or if not school he knew her well through other circles. Somehow he personally gained interest in the occult and traditional folk guitar tunings of every kind. Possibly through the contact of Sandy Denny as one of the Strawbs members dicussed with me her personal interests with me about 30 years ago. But it is not accurate to say this is all factual. She may have introduced Page to many of the traditional folk guitarists during the early period of Pentangle and Fairport. He seemed to have mastered all possibilities in folk guitar mastery. His ironically ....electric version of "White Summer" from the Yardbirds live at Anderson Theatre shows technique in this area of style.
I was not particularly fond of his electric guitar work in Led Zeppelin. His acoustic work was always top notch with Zep. By Zeppelin II he was no longer blocking strings when he would alternate pick and it came off rather sloppy and amateur. Like a 10 year old student who is impatient and frustrated with the Penatonic scale. If you listen to the underground tapes with Sonny Boy Williamson....much prior to the Yardbirds I believe, you will hear something completely different about Page's electric guitar playing. More straight through the amp and clean and precise. And amazing stuff from a young studio guitarist. So....I've always wondered even as a kid, why all of that had to change? Don't cry me a river but, just to analyse for a moment........He seemed a different or more shooled player back then.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 10:32
^ heroin and alcohol?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 11:09
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Rock was based on blues, as was jazz. Both developed artistically and progressive rock has far more in common with 20th Century classical than blues. Bruford's Earthworks is jazz but Yes is more classical. Just lok at Zappa. Jazz and Varese and Stravinsky everywhere. Genesis and ItaProg is all Renassance (16th C. inspired classical rock fusions.)

I once read that one fo the key features of progressive rock is that it should not be evidently blues oriented. Most blues is a structured form. 

IMHO...Wink

I agree it is a structured form. I do find much usage of the pentatonic scale in progressive rock though. For example Frank Bormann (spelling wrong)....from Eloy uses the pentatonic mode. Andy Latimer, David Gilmour, Gary Green and hundreds of others play blues riffs, within the context of a signature riff or Progressive rock composed passage. Steve Hackett and Steve Howe especially. Not UNIVERS ZERO! or Bob Fripp himself.LOL      A large sum of early to mid-70's progressive rock bands incorporated blues signature riffs based off blues scales, sometimes hidden within their composition, sometimes more prevalent. Curved Air especially. And Steve Hillage played blues riffs unintentionaly that turn up in the improvisation of Buddy Guy. It tends to make itself present during a prog piece played in a minor key and switches consistently from minor to major chords. Solaris, Atomic Rooster, Lucifer's Friend, Lucifer Was, Black Widow, Omega, Greenslade and Curved Air are all part of this fancy.  
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2010 at 11:38
Keith Emerson did a lot to bring modern tonality to rock, but when it's time for his B3 solos, he's Jimmy Smith 'back at the chicken shack', blues scales, both major and minor, o' plenty.

Edited by Easy Money - March 17 2010 at 11:38
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 03:26
I would think that every form of music up to present day has had some influence in some form or another on so called 'progressive rock'. Blues and Jazz, absolutly! Country to, just ask Steve Howe.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 04:22
The question was: which genre was the most influential to progressive rock and it's sub-genres, blues or jazz? And i bring this question to you, my fellow proggers, which was the most influential?

That was the original Question:

My Humble Opinion?

JAZZ

why?

It Is all about erratic drumming, sporadic time signatures, virtuoso musicianship, use of sax, piano, drums, bass, woodwind - its all there. And if you look at the early prog albums such as King Crimsons ITCOTCK, and VDGG TLWCDIWTEO (too long to type now) and Genesis albums as well as early Pink Floyd, the jazz influences are there without doubt. Mahavishnu Orchestra is a main influence as is Miles Davis. I have only discovered MD myself but his influence is such that he must be a main progenitor of prog alongside the likes of VDGG, PF and KC. 

Prog 4Eva! 
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2010 at 05:54
Tough question really.

It doesn't suffice to look at Prog Rock overall. Rather, look at the influences on each individual Prog subgenre.

Prog started out in the 60's with the use of folk, raga, R&B, soul, jazz, blues, classical and various other genres. Of these, I think R&B accounts for a large part of the development and soul should not be underestimated.

Edited by earlyprog - March 18 2010 at 05:55
shockedjazz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 12:03
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by vingaton vingaton wrote:

((Blues>Jazz>Rock&Roll)+LSD=Prog Psychedelic Rock) + pompousness = Progressive Rock Wink

LOLClapWinkTongue 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 12:22
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

It's rooted in the blues - which is where the rock part comes from.

Jazz had greater influence however, because the rock musicians took more cues from jazz than rock. Some progressive musicians were jazzers who turned to the rock side, and some were just musicians who enjoyed playing both jazz and blues.

I wouldn't include Rush in the "big 8" however much I like them Wink

however, jazz is rooted in blues too

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Geizao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 02:50

Some part of jazz (like Area), some part of blues (many bands from this side, like Il Balletto di Bronzo).
And I like some of them, though.

Those elements have built the progrock..

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 03:27
Blues was the major influence to create Rock, Jazz was one of the major influence to develope rock into Prog., making the question absurd in it self.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 05:35
Blues was the foundation for rock but very little blues exists in Prog Rock. In fact I'd say it's a characteristic of both prog and modern metal (Judas Priest and beyond) to show no blues influence. Sophisticated blues (aka) jazz is slightly different but most prog rock is more founded on 19th C Romantic classical or 20th C modern classical. Jazz is more prevelent in the US prog (aka) Fusion. (Symphonic is a more UK  originated form and RIO is European.) There are exceptions (Holdsworth, Kansas Thinking Plague respectively) but I mean as a general rule.

Afaik blues in prog only really happened with the Earthbound line up of KC. They were already disbanded so everyone but Fripp played the blues. Oddly it was Fripp who had the blues over that one.

The whole idea of prog (or any progressive music) is to move a form of music from it's roots (blues>rock>pysch> prog) fuse it with all sorts of ideas and let nature take it's course. Of course it does need it's audience and critics to keep up to speed.
sydbarrett2010 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 06:22
its blues for bands like pink floyd opeth or king crimson
but some bands are influenced by jazz
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 04:11
Blues for King Crimson? I don't think so. Fripp hated it when his Islands band reverted to playing blues versions of In The Court. Bruford is / was a jazz drummer. I doubt Fripp disliked blues per de, but it was certainly not a direction he saw his music heading which was avant jazz, RIO, symphonic and metal. Then New Wave, No Wave and the 90s and 00s KC.

I've only heard a little Opeth-  blues is not really something I would ascribe to that band either.

(The growling is not my thing btw fwiw... everything else seemed fine by me though. Who knows though? Non-growly might happen Opeth might happen, indeed I think one album might be growl free, but not sure.)

Back on topic. Sorry, improvisation in an e-mail....

Blues for PF, certainly. I do know certain fans who thought the idea of PF as a blues band is a bit out the window but it's the lead guitar and the cadences. Rick Wright was the jazz man in that band however.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 04:22
I think it's rather easy to spot a jazz-musician and a rock musician from a prog band, having listened to both and being a jazz-musician myself. I personally think most of the main prog bands presented are in fact more influenced by blues and a lot of them by funk, but there are a fair share of English bands that do jazz, especially in Canterbury Scene. I wouldn't go dividing bands into two. One interesting point in prog is that most of it is often pre-composed, whereas blues and jazz solos are without exception improvised while played. When you find an exception, you'll know which cathegory it goes under.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>