FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThird Jan Dukes De Grey album being released

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Third Jan Dukes De Grey album being released
    Posted: March 19 2010 at 20:59
A lost Jan dukes de Grey album is being released.  It was recorded around the punk explosion and thus it was never released until now.  It's called "Strange Terrain."  Pretty exciting news for us acid folk fans. 

Responsible for two of the strangest, most beguiling acid folk albums of the early 1970s, jan dukes de grey have long been a legendary name on the prog/folk/psych collector circuit. When cherry tree reissued sorcerers and the extraordinary mice and rats in the loft on one handy double cd last year (to widespread acclaim, we might add), it seemed to be the final word on the band. However, during conversations with arch-duke derek noy the bands founder, guitarist, singer and songwriter it transpired that jan dukes had actually gone on to record a third album, strange terrain, that had failed to appear at the time, largely due to the emergence of punk and the ensuing collapse of western civilisation as we know it. And here it is, complete with a handful of bonus tracks cut during the same timeframe (including the novelty single standing in a little ole, issued under the bands punk-era pseudonym rip snorter). Recorded across 1976-77 under a production deal with pink floyd (roger waters produced and mixed two of the tracks), strange terrain reflects derek noys desire to approach each album as a separate project rather than endlessly remake the same record. Dark, sombre and mysterious, strange terrain retains the boundless spirit of adventure and idiosyncratic approach to music-making that characterised their earlier albums, and is a vital addition to jan dukes de greys small but fascinating body of recorded work.

excellent acid folk album originally recorded between 1976-77, which sees the light of day for the first time!

features 2 tracks produced pink floyds roger waters.

also includes the novelty track - "standing in a little 'ole", which they recorded under their punk moniker - rip snorter.

Tracklisting:
1. The List
Venus Time Trap
Free Flow
Saved By The Bell
Xkanitzki Avenue
Blue Pseud Megalomaniac's Shoes
Chic Silver
You Won't Fool Al
Charm School
Haunting Me
Mug Shots
Darker Shade Of Grey
Bonus Tracks

Free Flow (Alternative Version)
Dr. Dark
Obscuring The View
Hell's Bells
Gourmet Man
Confidentially
Standing In A Little 'Ole

Ok I copy and pasted the above from the description on one of the sites that is selling the album, to make my news a bit more complete.

Edited by TrevRockOne - March 19 2010 at 22:59
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 21:34
Cool, where did you hear about this?
TrevRockOne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 21:43
I just read in The Artist Shop newsletter.  I only saw it on sites that were selling it, so I didn't provide a link, in order to not give any site an unfair advantage; silly, I know.  Just google "Jan Dukes De Grey Strange Terrain" and you'll get all the information you need; as if you needed me to tell you that.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 21:58
Awesome, I'll have to look into it.  I hadn't even heard rumors about this before now, so I'm pleasantly surprised.  
TrevRockOne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2010 at 22:55
Yeah, I was shocked too, I never thought I'd hear anything else from Jan Dukes de Grey, can't wait to hear the follow-up to Mice and Rats in the Loft! 
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 10:49

And yet, nothing has been added yet:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1810

I'm kinda busy at this moment. Anyone willing to add the album ?

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply